1970 Campstar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Name: Kate
Trailer: 1970 Trails west Campstar ( my original sticker not campster?)
California
Smile 1970 Campstar

Hi everyone: I am new to this site. Can anyone tell me if a 1970 Campstar is worth fixing up. Are they a desirable trailer to own? Someone is willing to give it to me. Can't even find out what they are worth anywhere?
trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I've never owned one. Hopefully someone will jump in that knows about them. As far as if their worth fixing up. Fiber Glass campers hold really good value. If you can get one and put a little work into it; well you can usually get your money back out of it years later. Pictures would help. Fiber Glass campers are very hard to value. Their value usually depends on how much you are willing to pay. A rough estimate might be possible with pictures.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
We have a Campster.
It is fun to camp in.
We seldom use the table set up-prefer leaving the king size bed in place.
It has a small kitchen area so I found a small 7" electric skillet and small coffee maker.
We put in a new refrig and some new plumbing.
We put our porta potty in the cabinet under closet.
We have a storage tote with wheels that we slide under the bed to hold misc. items.
Works for us.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
If you do a Google search from the search menu on this site you'll get lots of info... Here's one:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5-a-55750.html

Edit:
Huh - that's a Compact....I guess it came up because the poster also had a Campstar for sale (for a lot more $$)
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kate, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

Now, I'll try to answer your question (YMMV). I don't believe a 1970 "any brand" is a more desirable brand than any other.... There are two prices to every trailer for sale. What the seller wants and what it's worth to a buyer to own it. Sometimes that prices meets and sometimes it doesn't. As far as being a buyer, only YOU can decide what something is worth to you. It starts with budget, condition and location. When was the last time you saw something you could afford, in the condition you were willing to accept and for sale within your (reasonable) driving distance?

Once you answer those questions, you'll know the answer (for yourself).

Best of luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The Trails West Campster is what you're talking about, am I right? They are good little trailers. Worth fixing up, in most cases.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Yes, I'd say so, one that is fixed up runs about $3500-$4000 these days. And it is a great camper to have as it fits in a standard garage and has a large bed.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
Wanted to add:
We paid $800 for our Campster.
After getting it home and actually seeing what we bought-i wondered why we bought it.
It had sat in a field for years and was in sad shape inside.
Windows were siliconed shut, floors were rotted, cabinets were coming apart, needed pop top enclosure, busted plumbing and bad wiring.
We now have a nice little camper but it took work.
Getting one given to you- now that is a pretty good deal.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #9

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Have a 1970 Campster and love it. Great trailer, easy to pull and has a larger bed than you find in most small trailers.

Is it worth it? As Donna pointed out you have to decide what you are willing to put into it. Pictures help, check out the pictures on this site. Go to the registry and get some ideas. Good Luck. This forum is a great resource.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Name: Cassidy
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Hi everyone: I am new to this site. Can anyone tell me if a 1970 Campstar is worth fixing up. Are they a desirable trailer to own? Someone is willing to give it to me. Can't even find out what they are worth anywhere?
Are you in Los Angeles? One was listed on CL in Hawthorne a few days ago for $1500 and now it's gone. Is that the one you got? I tried to get it but was too late . . .
Freddy the Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Name: Kate
Trailer: 1970 Trails west Campstar ( my original sticker not campster?)
California
Talking 1970 Campstar arriving tomorrow

Hi fellow camper owners: Will finally be picking up the free 1970 Campstar tomorrow morning. 😄 Will have tons of questions to ask you seasoned camper owners over the weekend for sure. Will be posting some before and after photos in the next few days. Very excited to get started, especially with getting a 12 volt system in and or solar as really want to be off the grid and this little camper only has 110 shore power hookup available.
trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kate, before you start tearing into your new-to-you camper... go out and enjoy it. You'll find out soon, it's less about us and our needs... but, more about YOU and what YOU need.

Post away!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #13

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
I'd love to see the pics!
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #14

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
1970 Campster

Quote:
I bought one several years ago did a quick remodel on it and sold it for $3800.00. Yes it is worth fixing up and free is a good price.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Hi fellow camper owners: Will finally be picking up the free 1970 Campstar tomorrow morning. �� Will have tons of questions to ask you seasoned camper owners over the weekend for sure. Will be posting some before and after photos in the next few days. Very excited to get started, especially with getting a 12 volt system in and or solar as really want to be off the grid and this little camper only has 110 shore power hookup available.
You didn't mention where you are in CA or how far you will have to tow it home, BUT.... Before moving it take a look at the tires, if it has been sitting for years, no matter how good the tires look, if they are more than 6-8 years old a blow-out may be in your near future. If the tires show any signs of cracking, get new ones before that first tow.

Also consider getting the wheel bearings checked/repacked before towing more than just a few miles.

Good luck and be sure to ask lots of questions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #16

Name: Norine
Trailer: west trail campster
Washington
Registry
Hi, I have a 1968 West Trail Campster. Very unusual, has step down when entering door and a snap in tarp that I stand on once in the door. So I am standing on the ground on the tarp insert in the kitchen area.
Norine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norine View Post
Hi, I have a 1968 West Trail Campster. Very unusual, has step down when entering door and a snap in tarp that I stand on once in the door. So I am standing on the ground on the tarp insert in the kitchen area.
Can you post some pictures of that, Norine? Does it still have a pop up or just a "pop down?"
Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmm Maybe a former owner was what we often refer to here as being "Height Impaired" and/or did not want to raise the top?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm Maybe a former owner was what we often refer to here as being "Height Impaired" and/or did not want to raise the top?
1968 is early- could have been a prototype (before they figured out going up made more sense than dropping the floor?)
Old 09-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #20

Name: Norine
Trailer: west trail campster
Washington
Registry
campster

I think maybe you are right that it is a prototype. I did post photos of my camper on this site but can not find were they are now. I tried to insert photos here but it would not let me browse to my folders. I can send you photos by email if you send me yours or here is mine. norine60@yahoo.com
Norine is offline   Reply With Quote