1972 Hunter Compact Jr...yikes? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
1972 Hunter Compact Jr...yikes?

As of yesterday, it appears I am the new owner of a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr that is living three states away from me. I'll be heading out to pick it up in a week or so, and would like any input that you fine folks are willing to give me about what I should put on my just-in-case-list of things to bring along. The seller says it's roadworthy with good tires, spare, and working lights, and the photos seem to indicate this is accurate. Having not seen it in person, though, I want to be prepared for the 16-hr drive back to my house with it.

If anyone knows the bearing size for this trailer, or where I can get an owner's manual, I'd appreciate it. I figured I'd pick up a new set of bearings just in case. I'll also bring along ratchet straps, duct tape, a set of trailer lights, a tire pump, a floor jack, lug wrench, WD-40, PB-Blaster, bearing grease, and various hand tools for emergency purposes.

Anything I'm missing? I've never owned or towed any sort of trailer other than a utility trailer for hauling junk. I'm a lot excited and a little intimidated about renovating it, but I think it will be great fun, and a good little trailer for wander-traveling.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The seller says "roadworthy" and "good tires" and that may be a fair assessment, but a sellers opinion sometimes is slanted. Tire age is critical as are wheel bearings. I would ask the seller when the bearings were cleaned and lubed and what the code dates are on all three tires. Does the torsion axle still have some life in it ? What size is the hitch ball? What is the hitch height ?

Can you find someone in the area where the trailer is located to check out these things? Do you have roadside towing insurance just in case ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:43 AM   #3

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
The seller says "roadworthy" and "good tires" and that may be a fair assessment, but a sellers opinion sometimes is slanted. Tire age is critical as are wheel bearings. I would ask the seller when the bearings were cleaned and lubed and what the code dates are on all three tires. Does the torsion axle still have some life in it ? What size is the hitch ball? What is the hitch height ?

Can you find someone in the area where the trailer is located to check out these things? Do you have roadside towing insurance just in case ?
I have nobody in the area to check it out. I'm fine with buying new tires if I have to, that's the easy part. There's a Walmart Supercenter less than 2 miles from where I will pick it up so I have that option right at hand. Ball size he says is 2", and I will pick up a drop or raise as necessary when I get there so that it's matched to my car as closely as possible.

As far as the axle, I believe it's a dropped axle rather than a torsion axle, at least that's what the photos look like to me. I plan on pulling the bearings to get a look at them before I bring it home, but I haven't been able to track down the bearing size yet to have a spare set on hand when I show up to take the trailer.

And yes, I have roadside towing for car and trailer, free up to 100 miles, so I'm covered in that respect. I simply want to be prepared as much as possible ahead of time!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #4

Washington
Yes, you might have a leaf spring axle. Also the original axle may have been replaced so bearing information might have changed.

You have obviously put lots of thought and research into this. It's going to be an adventure.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

USA
Quote:
Yes, you might have a leaf spring axle. Also the original axle may have been replaced so bearing information might have changed.

You have obviously put lots of thought and research into this. It's going to be an adventure.
Yes, it does have leaf springs, as I can see them in a photo of the underside of the trailer. Good point on the bearings/axle swap possibility. I will wait until I get there and pull the wheels to address that issue. At worst, I camp in it for a few days while I wait for some new bearings in the mail. Camping a bit doesn't sound too bad to me.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #6

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
compact Jr info...

On the upper right of the fiberglassrv forum page is a link titled "more".

From there you will find the document center and a link to compact brochures and what passes for an owner's manual.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #7

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
I also picked up a 72 compact II and had to drive it home. I found the PO definately stretched the truth on the condition of the tires. They looked good but the dates had them at 15 years old. The one issue I had towing it home was the tongue weight of the completely empty camper. It is really light without a battery and full propane tank. Take that into consideration when towing, it makes the drive "squirrelly" Congrats on the new trailer!!
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #8

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie Sadler-Pare View Post
I also picked up a 72 compact II and had to drive it home. I found the PO definately stretched the truth on the condition of the tires. They looked good but the dates had them at 15 years old. The one issue I had towing it home was the tongue weight of the completely empty camper. It is really light without a battery and full propane tank. Take that into consideration when towing, it makes the drive "squirrelly" Congrats on the new trailer!!
Good to know. Since it's in Utah, I can just pull to the side of the road and throw some rocks inside if I need "ballast" in front.

I don't pick it up until next week though, so I'm getting impatient to get started on it.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
I have nobody in the area to check it out. I'm fine with buying new tires if I have to, that's the easy part. There's a Walmart Supercenter less than 2 miles from where I will pick it up so I have that option right at hand. Ball size he says is 2", and I will pick up a drop or raise as necessary when I get there so that it's matched to my car as closely as possible.

As far as the axle, I believe it's a dropped axle rather than a torsion axle, at least that's what the photos look like to me. I plan on pulling the bearings to get a look at them before I bring it home, but I haven't been able to track down the bearing size yet to have a spare set on hand when I show up to take the trailer.

And yes, I have roadside towing for car and trailer, free up to 100 miles, so I'm covered in that respect. I simply want to be prepared as much as possible ahead of time!
It sounds like you have all the major items covered.

It's been awhile since I wrote an article about wheel bearings, etc, when bringing a new (used) trailer home. However, you might get a few ideas by taking a peek at the article.

Duckworks - Messing with Trailer Wheel Bearings on the Highway!

Good luck,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:11 AM   #10

USA
Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot more questions about it once I get it home and start working on it.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Having just gone through towing a 1971 Campster project trailer home I had the same worries you do. We had no problems with getting it back home.

We did have to get a stinger to match the height, that took two tries. But the shop was OK with doing the exchange of parts and removal and switching the ball to the other one. Had them do the ball install, ask them to grease it.

Most annoying part of towing it back home....
The stinger in the hitch tube rattled a lot over any bumps which was a constant irritation. Adjusting the receiver helped but it still clunked going over bumps. So do take an anti rattle clamp along with you. A basic U-bolt stye with bracket will do the job.

We took a foam pad made to kneel on, it got used several times, much better than kneeling on gravel.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #12

USA
Hmm, I'll have to pick up an anti-rattle clip, hadn't thought of that. I do have what I believe is the proper hitch riser to meet the hitch of the trailer. If not, then I have several options where to buy a different one within a couple miles of where I will pick up the trailer. If my measurements and the seller's measurements are accurate, I should be within an inch of level with what I've got.

Thanks for the tips, I'm anxious to get it home and start working on it. Summer project, woo hoo!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:34 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Good to know. Since it's in Utah, I can just pull to the side of the road and throw some rocks inside if I need "ballast" in front.

I don't pick it up until next week though, so I'm getting impatient to get started on it.
A few one gallon jugs of water would work better. Maybe even a case or two of beer.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #14

USA
Quote:
A few one gallon jugs of water would work better. Maybe even a case or two of beer.
It's Utah. Both of those may be in short supply.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
The back door tends to pop open so bring some way to seal it closed just in case.

A tire shop should be able to check the tires and repack the bearings in very little time- might be worth a stop on the way back.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #16

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
The back door tends to pop open so bring some way to seal it closed just in case.

A tire shop should be able to check the tires and repack the bearings in very little time- might be worth a stop on the way back.
Good point on the door, bungie on the list. As far as the bearings go, I can do that as long as I can get my hands on the proper replacements. With luck, when I pull them out they will be fine and I can just grease and go. Kind of on a strict budget, so unless I run into problems, I don't want to pay someone to do a job that is as simple as bearings.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #17

Name: Wade
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
Alabama
Registry
Make sure to put a pin, bolt, wire or something in the hitch after you close it to secure it on the ball. Should be 2" hitch. Note that on most Hunters this is located BENEATH the hitch and is a little hard to find if you don't know where it is. With a light tongue weight I would definitely make sure you do this to keep it from "popping" open on a rough road.
Wade the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #18

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade the K View Post
Make sure to put a pin, bolt, wire or something in the hitch after you close it to secure it on the ball. Should be 2" hitch. Note that on most Hunters this is located BENEATH the hitch and is a little hard to find if you don't know where it is. With a light tongue weight I would definitely make sure you do this to keep it from "popping" open on a rough road.
Yep, have that one covered as long as the hitch is in working order.