1984 UHaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: MJ
Trailer: UHaul CT 13
Louisiana
1984 UHaul

I just purchased a 1984 UHaul CT. The square lights inside are missing the covers.Is there something out there that will fit them ? Trying to get up the courage to follow Bridget T 's window tutorial as the windows really leak . I do own a butter knife , but not many other tools. Need to replace the floor. Anybody used anything other than carpet or linoleum ?
MJ Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome to the UHaul family.

I don't have any great suggestions for the florescent light covers. You can post a wanted thread in the parts section. Some have replaced their lights and may have the old ones to share.

You might also fab something from the plastic 2'x4' sheets that they use in suspended ceilings under a light fixture.

I just finished my windows, but have not reinstalled them. Once you have all the materials, it is not a bad job.

Re the floor, do a search . Some have used the floating laminate strips.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Lots of people put in laminate floors.

You might just want to replace the lights. Personally, I really hate the light over the sink that is original. I don't know if the CTs have them. They are two parts. Ours does not work easily. Most times, I use only half of it.

Welcome to the Uhaul family!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Name: MJ
Trailer: UHaul CT 13
Louisiana
Thanks

Picked her up last weekend. It has rained almost everyday since I got her. Excited to start the work, but feeling a bit overwhelmed. I've never owned a camper so I have a lot to learn. I've been reading old posts trying to educate myself. So many of you know so much ! Thanks for the suggestions.
MJ Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Can you post some photos? That might help people give suggestions after they've seen things.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You can get additionally info at the U-Haul site. You will need to pay a fee if you want to access any of the threads.
The moderator is a Di$k. That's why the site is in the toilet. The people are great, and will help you all they can.
Most of them are on this site, since the other site has been visited about three times in the last six months.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, a different suggestion. It's YOUR trailer and unless you are a purist (I'm not) change out the fixtures to suit your needs. Don't turn yourself into a pretzel or spend more money than you want to... just to have something "original." No one will step inside your trailer and say "Look honey, an original U-Haul light fixture." Even 99% of U-haul owners won't notice. They will notice use and function. There are plenty of lights now that are 100% LEDs and those certainly use less amp hours off your battery and provide better lighting.

I would suggest anything you remove from your trailer you store, for that "someday" sale and you can move the items along to a future buyer.

YMMV

OH... and WELCOME to FiberglassRV!!!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I replaced the broken light over the sink with one from Camping World that uses two bulbs. It was fairly cheap, but now I can't find it on their web site. I need to do the window repair also, and just went on the web site of the weatherstrip supplier that Bridget used, and can't find a listing for those items. Maybe they don't carry them anymore? Donna is right, use what you like or can get, I just installed two 12 volt Scamp lights in our Uhaul, another member here gave me a good deal on the used pair and they look and work great. I also had a pair of round dome lights from an auto parts store and put one on the front cupboard end. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I've made a lot of personal changes away from the original Uhaul stuff. Lets face it, these trailers are cool, but they are NOT collector items - save that for airstreams . So do what you want to it and enjoy!
This is the light that goes above the door of the closet. Costs about $35.oo

Thinlite model 111,
12 volt d.c. fluorescent light.
8 watts (uses 0.8 amps)
400 lumens
Dimensions: 12.25" by 4.125" by 1"
Usesone F8T5/CW tube - included.
Built-in switch on end.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #10

Registry
Somebody else fixed their windows and posted where they found the seals. Anyone remember who that was? We need this stuff put into the document center.

CindyL
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM   #11

Is this the one you're looking for Cindy? Bridget posted: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post218498

I can scoop the posting and create a PDF for the Document Center and get it uploaded, if you think it has value. Let me know.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #12

Registry
Yes, Donna, that is where BridgetT posted here. Thanks. I also went back to uhaulcamper.com and looked at her posting. The rubber in those pictures are still available here:
Self Sealing Weatherstrips, Self-Locking and 2 Piece Weatherstripping for Boats and Equipment

The felt is here: Weatherstrip-Trims, All Rubber Glass Run Channels with Flocked Lining

Donna, can you put this into the document center along with the discussion link you posted?

CindyL
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #13

Cindy, do you want the whole discussion... or just the posting by Bridget that has the pictures. Maybe we should discuss this by PM rather than trash this thread...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #14

Registry
Donna, Whatever it takes to show people (my hubby included, as we have a leaky window or two) how to do fix leaky windows. I saw a discussion of tires in the document center. This is the other issue that new Uhaul owners always have.

CindyL
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
MJ,
Welcome to the growing UHaul family. Great info on this site and really knowledgeable, helpful people. I have a handy notebook full of the cool ideas and mods. My wish list.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Welcome to Fiberglass, you will enjoy it
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Welcome to the site! I have a Uhaul also and it indeed is not an original restoration. I have done most of the work myself and made it comfortable/usable for myself, wife, and the big dog Tia. Don't get hung up on 100% perfect/stock because then you won't want to actully use it. Rick
RICK H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
Welcome to this site and also the UHaul family. We have enjoyed our CT for 5 years, and so far haven't had to update or fix much. It is fun to see all the different states that UHauls live in.
Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #19

Name: James
Trailer: u-haul 13ct
Virginia
Registry
U-Haul

Hi Mj
We also recently bought a ct13 and replaced the lights with fixtures from an rv dealer that have the plug for bunk lights on the sides we plan to line the back of the bunk lights with velcro so they can be placed anywhere on the roof carpet they were only about $10 each but the bunk lights were a bit more they are 12v and we plan to replace the standard bulbs with leds. I ripped out the 30 year old nasty stinking carpet and installed allure flooring and couldnt be happier, i did have to put down a subfloor to level things with the fiberglass that bends out from the storage areas and epoxyed molding since you cant really nail into the fg. While we were at it we installed an outside light also about$10, very handy when stepping out for a nature call in the middle of the night.
Attached Thumbnails
tajint2.jpg  
lanegr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #20

Name: James
Trailer: u-haul 13ct
Virginia
Registry
More

more
Attached Thumbnails
tajint1.jpg   tajint3.jpg