1987 17 foot Bigfoot trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 05:49 AM   #1

Name: Claude
Trailer: 27 foot Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
1987 17 foot Bigfoot trailer

Hi I am Claudio
I would like to install two brackets on my trailer to carry my 10 foot Porta Boat on the side of the trailer. I have no idea where the frames are to securely attach them, HELP thanks
Claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Not familiar with big foot trailer but most fibytrailers do not have a frame
Also I’m not sure carrying a boat on side of trailer is a good idea ... I’m thinking it would turn into a sail
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

The Porta-Boat folds flat, and I see quite a few carried that way- hanging on the side. Finding support will be tricky. Alan is right. Molded trailers don’t have frames per se, but Bigfoots do have some furring in the walls that could provide attachment points. Finding them will require a good stud finder.

Since the furring is not substantial framing wood, I think you’d want to drill all the way through and use bolts and washers to distribute the stresses. Seal well!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I agree with Jon. Bigfoot has more structural support wood than most other fiberglass trailers, but not enough to support anything heavy. You'd need to drill all the way through with bolts and use some metal or wood bars on the inside of the trailer to spread the load.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
On frosty mornings, I could see the location of the wooden ribs as the frost melted. I do not think they add enough support , and would be especially concerned about wind. Also, adding more width to an already wide trailer would be another issue.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #6

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1989 BIGFOOT 17' - FOR SALE
British Columbia
Registry
Mount supports...

My manual for our '89 Bigfoot gaucho shows support blocking on the rear, left side, for mounting a ladder to the roof. This might/should provide a better option than side mounting.
BMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
Adding a boat to the side of your 8' trailer seems like a great way of getting a ticket for exceeding the max width allowed with out a wide load permit.

I also dont think even the bigfoot has the vertical support to hold a boat up while bouncing down the road.
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500 View Post
Adding a boat to the side of your 8' trailer seems like a great way of getting a ticket for exceeding the max width allowed with out a wide load permit.
That’s a good point, and one I hadn’t thought about, since I’ve seen a number of folding boats being carried on the sides of 8’ travel trailers. In Arizona, and likely many other states, the maximum vehicle width (without an oversized permit) is 8’6”. It’d be close.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #9

Name: Jim
Trailer: Winnebago
Kentucky
I carried my PortaBote on the roof rack of the tow vehicle. Strapped it down with ratcheting straps. It isn't worth the risk of a leak to mount it on the side of a trailer, especially when a roof rack is easy.
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #10

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
Having spent my life in the Marine Industry I know a thing or two about fiberglass construction. This is a common problem for so many items to be mounted safely and secure in a boat as well as a RV. The manufacturer has a set of plans to go to all the items so they can instal a backing plate. We can build them in place during lamination. Now to do it on the side of the trailer I would look for the vertical side supports .Then you want to see where the brackets would mount. Then you need to go inside and see if you will be able to mount a backing plate to match ones on outside. Say all’s ok I would make my plates at least 2” wide X 1/4” thick X the length Aluminum between top and bottom mounting holes .
You can pre drill your holes in the brackets 1/4”on inside and on the 2 outside brackets you can drill & Tap them (1/4-20 threads )have someone to help hold the bracket on outside level and mark holes . Now drill out your holes use sealant on all the holes and bolts. Run the bolts from the inside out so they look clean and you can use locknuts on outside. NOW STOP JUST AS YOUR BOLTS ARE GETTING SNUG. Walk away until a day or so and now finish up tightening up the bolts.
What this does is seal the holes and when there tightened it won’t leak and the brackets will spread the load out on the side. I would make some type nosecone so to make it more aerodynamic and less wind resistance. There are a lot of different type sealants out there . The best one to use to permanently attach anything to fiberglass is 3 M’s
5200 . Next best is 4200 it sealed but can be taken apart with some work. Nest is what I use when putting in screws is clear silicone ( I like the toothpaste tube)
Another tip is to remember when you drill into fiberglass that has gelcoat, start the drill in reverse and start to drill a hole. Stop put in forward and drill your hole. This will almost eliminate spider cracking or chipping around your hole.
Hope this helps .
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot