1987 Scamp in Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #1

Name: Trice
Trailer: Scamp 1987
Michigan
Smile 1987 Scamp in Michigan

New to us egg. Totally different from the 5th wheels and tin cans we have owned. This young lady (the camper that is) just needs clean up and personal preference interior cosmetic changes i.e. carpet OUT! Hot water heater is shot and we will pull it for added cabinet storage and eventually, maybe put in an on demand water heater. No shower, but potty room (a must).

Love the forum, so much useful info and I have been lurking for a couple of weeks. Pics and questions to come. Cheers.
Patongar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Trice, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

Thanks for saying "Pics and questions to come," else I'd have to remind you!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Name: Lisa VPC
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
Greetings! We are fellow Michiganders who were looking at Scamps and were led to a sweet retro Trillium with which I am in love with...literally! This forum has been a Godsend to us!

Lisa VPC
SW MI
LisaVPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #4

Michigan
Thank you for the welcome. So much to absorb, whew!
Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #5

Name: Kd
Trailer: Scamp
SouthEast
Registry
Hey and welcome

I can't wait to see pics. We (me and the sweet forum members) think my Scamp is a 1987. I'd love to compare them. Mine is titled as a 2001...clearly it isn't...and that's so easy to tell after everyone jumped in to help me. This place is an amazing...almost overwhelming...amount of help and ideas.

Have fun with your new Scamp
Old 06-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

Michigan
Kd, thanks for the welcome. I will be working on it this weekend and take pics to post of the exterior/interior. I do know on mine there isn't a drawer to be had, ugh. I have already found invaluable information to pass on to my day laborer (hubby...hee hee). My scamp is a girl (I looked) and her name is Gypsy...I intend to pull her many places on the bucket list. We have already camped a week in her with no problems, even with the door sag.

New Hardware Kit on gravel guard
Remove Oxidation and Wax
Pull windows and reseal
Reseal all vents and doohickies
Bolt on a step (she sits too high for one step out)
Wire brush and paint bumper and tongue
Acquire a generator for rustic camping (oxymoron)
Sew window treatments (already have fabric in my stash from last tin can we were going to restore)
I really want to put wood veneer on the cupboard doors (spendy), may just paint
Shelves in closets
Add drawers
Remove leaking hot water heater (found that out and bypassed the tank so that we could have running water.
I don't know if we will replace the hot water heater, water heats fast on the stove for dishes and washing up.
Repair or replace the door...shipping is outrageous. DH believes he can fix it with the forum info I found on repairing the door.
Ohhhhh, remove the fugly carpet and install allure or something comparable.
No air conditioning and don't think we will install one.
May put in an antennae for small flatscreen we already have. Remember...Rustic Camping LOL
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

SouthEast
Registry
Your list looks very similar to mine. I thought about my small flat screen or a mount for my iPad...I have to have some luxuries lol
Old 06-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #8

Name: Madalyn
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kd_ View Post
Hey and welcome

I can't wait to see pics. We (me and the sweet forum members) think my Scamp is a 1987. I'd love to compare them. Mine is titled as a 2001...clearly it isn't...and that's so easy to tell after everyone jumped in to help me. This place is an amazing...almost overwhelming...amount of help and ideas.

Have fun with your new Scamp
Kd,
Where in NC are you and what model Scamp did you buy? I am in Goldsboro and am looking for a Scamp 16 foot that is advertised on the forum in Calabash NC. I am new to the FG world and am learning so much from this forum.
Madalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #9

SouthEast
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post

Kd,
Where in NC are you and what model Scamp did you buy? I am in Goldsboro and am looking for a Scamp 16 foot that is advertised on the forum in Calabash NC. I am new to the FG world and am learning so much from this forum.
I'm in Charlotte. I have a 13'. It's titled as a 2001 but is most likely a 1987. Are you going to get the one in Calabash? A 16' would be awesome!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #10

Michigan
Pictures of 1987 Scamp

I hope the pics show as attachments. Door sag, exterior before gravel guard hardware replacement and plastic cap replacement. We also replacd the gasket on the front window. Interior showing layout and no drawers on lower cabinets (weird design). The drawer below the bed is one we made out of shelving and backer board: 44" deep and 24" wide. DH wished I would have measured at 42". Oh well, it works fantastic for bigger items and slides easy on the gross carpet. The allure is ordered to replace the carpet and then I'll put furniture felt pads on it for ease of sliding it out. Once it is pulled out, I place a plastic cup under it to hold it level to "root" around in

I did put some proflex under each snap cap before replacing it. We have been camping twice and have endured heavy rain with no leaks, yay.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03213.jpg   DSC03187.JPG  

DSC03188.JPG   DSC03218.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #11

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hey Trice, We left the huge RV world also for a smaller egg unit. Our friends think were crazy. Wouldn't change a thing. Except maybe have done it a few years earlier. Welcome from N.C.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:36 AM   #12

Michigan
Thank you for the welcome. For sure is different, but so much easier. We camped for a week in a "mansions on wheels" park and boy did we get the oddest looks. Less is more!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
For you newbies in Michigan, check out the Algona Egg Scramble getogether in Sept , weekend after labour day.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #14

Name: Lisa VPC
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Michigan
We look forward to being able to attend our first gathering, but that weekend is the same as the Wheatland Music Festival in Remus (always 1st wknd after Labor Day). We will be bringing our Trillium....FYI for anyone else who goes to Wheatland.

Lisa VPC
LisaVPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, Trice, glad to have you. I'm also in Michigan over near Fenton (south of Flint). Check out the Algonac rally on the weekend after labor day. All are welcome to come and camp!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaVPC View Post
We look forward to being able to attend our first gathering, but that weekend is the same as the Wheatland Music Festival in Remus (always 1st wknd after Labor Day). We will be bringing our Trillium....FYI for anyone else who goes to Wheatland.

Lisa VPC

I have heard a lot about Wheatland (we usually go to Thumbfest) but one thing we heard was that it's impossible to find a place to camp there, and that people in the campgrounds are rowdy all night long... advise please?
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp