1990 Scamp delivered tomorrow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Cool 1990 Scamp delivered tomorrow

Well, my wife went bonkers on her first outing and insisted we get a Scamp or like trailer as soon as possible. Needless to say, were getting our 1990 Scamp delivered tomorrow at my home. The plan is to enjoy it for the rest of the summer as is, than in the winter work it over to a luxurious shine. The inner skin seems to becoming undone. I think I'm going to take it out, as well as the closet and sink. I will replace the sink install the ac unit beneath it and a microwave above it. By doing so I will create about a foot more on each side with space. I think I will attach small collapsable tables on both sides, keeping the new space and using it at will. Taking out the closet will make the interior seem much larger and open. But I am looking forward to working it over. Pictures will follow. But to my fellow campers, and Scampers, HELLO!!!!!
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hi Guy & Wife....welcome to the FGRV family. What size Scamp did you end up with? Making it your own by putting in your own floor plan can be frustrating as well as rewarding at the same time. I would like to caution you about removing the side closet or the "twisty supports" by the sink, as these both support the roof. Mine is also a 1990 (13' Deluxe model) and either a previous owner removed the support next to the sink, or it never had one, but roof sag settled in and I made a support for it to bring it back in shape. If removed you'll have to support it with something else. There are pictures and write-ups that others did to change out to another type of "hidden" supports. If you do a search within FGRV site, use the bottom "google" site, as it gives more information. You can also click on our Avitar picture which will take you to our mods, if you would like to get some ideas.
Again welcome and go make memories.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Congrats on the new egg! If the weather cooperates, I'm bringing mine home tomorrow too. Already found tons of great information and some really neat and helpful folks. Can't wait to see it, post lots of pictures.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nooooo Guy, don't take the inner lining out. It provides insulation and deadens sounds too. We can help you glue it back up. You need to keep the closet, or replace it with something else in that location that goes from floor to ceiling. We call these things eggs, but you do need stuff on the inside that assists in keeping the roof up.

to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Guy, before this weekend I'll probably be re-gluing a section of the rat fur inside the front ceiling of my Scamp. I'm going to take a ton of pictures. I'm using 3M 90 adhesive, which I've used to laminate multi-density motorcycle seats, so I'm sure the glue is up to the job. From what I've learned in the last couple weeks of reading here, a good rule of thumb is to wait, ask for opinions on here, wait, think about it, maybe use it, then actually rip anything not obviously broken or dangerous. Lot of people here with experience rebuilding these eggs, with amazing results to show for it.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #6

Georgia
Thanks

Thank you to all who responded to the thread. The "actual" restoration will not begin until September. I purchased a 13 foot Scamp, and just as I am a green horn when it comes to camping and restoration I am open to all the information I can garner. I was unaware of the structural significance of the closet, so by all means I will have to find some type of support or find a suitable use for it. The Kitchen area I am going to shorten by about a foot on each side. The refrigerator is done and I have no plan to have it replaced. But I will use the space for the sink, ac unit will be mounted below it, and the microwave above it in the cabinets. For cooking purposes we have a portable cooker. I will put a cover over the sink (at least thats my plan) and use that for a cooking surface.
I want to convert the bunk bed into a dinette which will seat two, and the former sitting area into a full time bed (maybe a princess mode for my wife). Anyway if you have any ideas or pictures please feel free to post them or respond. Again , thanks for all the love
Guy
Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Okay... it's "tomorrow," where are the pictures that show you with big ole grins?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #8

Georgia
Scamp, signed,sealed and delivered

Here it is, and here I am, excited to have something to go camping in. Fort Pickens in Pensacola is our next destination in our very own Scamp.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Georgia
I tried to upload a picture, but am unable to at the present.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
I tried to upload a picture, but am unable to at the present.
I had trouble at first, as I was in to much of a hurry, and didn't read the "up-loading photo" sign which takes a very long time, before you can hit send.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #12

Georgia
Hey the picture loaded in my avatar! Thats me with the new or should I say preowned Scamp and my little girl.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Nooooo Guy, don't take the inner lining out. It provides insulation and deadens sounds too. We can help you glue it back up. You need to keep the closet, or replace it with something else in that location that goes from floor to ceiling. We call these things eggs, but you do need stuff on the inside that assists in keeping the roof up.

to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Welcome Guy! Your new trailer looks great!

Donna has given you excellent advice! Lots of people new to fiberglass trailers make the error of removing things they wish they hadn't after the fact. The removal of items that support the walls and ceiling it a biggy! End result not good. I have a photo of a trailer that completely collapsed inwards once it got a bit of snow on the roof due to wall & roof support items having been removed. You may not live in an area that gets snow but the person you sell it to in the future may or if you travel on any rough roads without proper support the trailers walls/roof may flex to much causing stress fractures in the fiberglass.

The wall lining (rat fur) does serve a real purpose and is very easy to stick back up in spots it is sagging - 3M adhesive spray does the job fast and easy. Its a REAL big & can be expensive job to remove the lining and try and find something else to use in the place of the rat fur (the later being more difficult than some may think at first).

I know when I first got my trailer & it was void of curtains and bedding and decoration I wasn't a big fan of the rat fur either. Have since learned its actual purpose and that it actually does work well, once the trailer was decorated its not as noticable and I don't even think about it any more.

Have fun this summer with your trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #14

Georgia
Thanks

Thanks for the imput, but with every subtraction there must be an addition. If I remove the closet than I will have it propped up with a wooden brace which goes from wall to wall attached to the fiberglass and the floor. It will act as a brace and a bed entrance. The Sink and Stove will be replaced with a smaller unit and the counter shortened, which should result in about one foot on the bunk bed side. As for the Rat Fur, I did a little research, what Scamp uses is marine grade hull material. So in taking it out, I likewise will replace it with marine grade hull material as well as marine grade glue. In fact most of the more popular widows are marine type or actual marine windows. I have taken some pictures of before ( I guess I will have to post them sometime in the future when I start to recreate the interior of the Scamp as well as bringing the exterior up to snuff.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #15

Georgia
Did a little touch up for summer use

Well it didn't take me long to figure out that the ENTIRE FLOOR! needs to be replaced. Don't get me wrong, there are parts that I was able to nail to, however the damage is extensive. So I bought a piece of plywood about 1/4 of an inch thick laid it over the existing flooring (after ripping out the stinky old carpet). Nailed it down with roofing nails and covered that with some of last years left over sticky tiles (linoleum). Now I have to wait about 10 weeks for my new covers (I tore off the old originals, I was afraid to put them under a black light. So I will finish the season with a semi new summer floor and new cushion covers. Than I will have about 8 months to ready the old gal for the unveiling summer of 2014 and consequently winter and summer launchings as my wife feels a need to get away from it all.

Tags
scamp