2001 Scamp 13 - proud new parent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Vickie B.'s Avatar
 
Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Posts: 1,110
Registry
Thanks, Barbara---I'm enjoying your enthusiasm and can't wait to see what you do!
__________________

__________________
1988 Perris Pacer
2010 Honda Ridgeline
2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
BC Scamper13's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Posts: 23
Registry
Updates!

I have been busy with getting up to speed with the basics!

- got a Subaru hitch installed on my 2004 Subaru Forester - $600 parts and labor at dealer (limited choices in an isolated town of 30k). Figured it was cheaper than a new car with a trailer hitch! We are a 1 car family - simpler and cheaper.

- my BAL stabilizer came it is fabulous! Really makes the Scamp feel rock steady, I used it when I had it on the street, and now am using it in the yard w/ the Scamp in its new spot. Also have the rear stabilizers down of course but the BAL leveler is essential as far as evening out the side to side level.

- moved the Scamp off the street to be next to the garage. Got it stabilized with BAL and chocks and its all level. Also plugged her in to outlet in garage! We got power!

- my Harbor Freight Trailer dolly came in the mail - used a cupon and the total with freight was about $60. I'll need the dolly to move the Scamp out to the street to hitch to the car. Haven't used it yet, but put it together with assistance of YouTube video!

- I got down and dirty and confirmed via iPhone camera that my 2001 Scamp has the valuable brake flanges! So I can have electric brakes installed without ordering a new axel! Yeah! I want the brakes for safety, we have some steep grades in Alaska, notably the road out of Skagway to Whitehorse. Plan to get them installed before next summer.

- my fairy Scampmother, who sold me her Scamp, helped me figure out the awning yesterday, so now I have it out for a front porch cover. It's angled a bit for the inevitable rain we "enjoy" in the Tongass temperate rainforest. (Precipitation falls on an average 230 days per year, averaging 62.5 inches but ranging from 55 to 90 inches. Makes the Northwest look like the Banana Belt to us in SE Alaska!)

I'm going to post some photos in my profile.

Meanwhile I am using my new playhouse for coffee and cocktails with friends and husband. Ukulele practice. And will have an overnight soon - in the yard. It's always clean! ( vs the house!). And no one expects much in the way of cooking!

__________________

__________________
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Awesome. The brake install is easy for a DIYer, especially if you can install the brake controller in the TV yourself. Worst case, order the parts and have a local garage do the install.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
BC Scamper13's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Posts: 23
Registry
Thanks Tom, I'll order the parts but go with a real mechanic! My dad would have been all over it if he were still here, but he passed last year at 91 (a very long and happy life, with my mother for 64 years till she died 5 months before him.). He and his folks lived in trailers during the Depression in California and then his parents travelled all over in a trailer after retiring - so I feel I am carrying on the family tradition!
__________________
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Scamper13 View Post
Thanks Tom, I'll order the parts but go with a real mechanic! My dad would have been all over it if he were still here, but he passed last year at 91 (a very long and happy life, with my mother for 64 years till she died 5 months before him.). He and his folks lived in trailers during the Depression in California and then his parents travelled all over in a trailer after retiring - so I feel I am carrying on the family tradition!
Sorry to hear of your parents' passing, but you are doing 'em proud.

Great prices on brake components here:
Electric Trailer Brake Assemblies at Trailer Parts Superstore

Electric Trailer Brake Drum / Hub Assemblies at Trailer Parts Superstore

You need to match the drum / bearing assembly to the spindle that is on your trailer now. That is defined by the diameter of the bearings on the inner and outer race (and the wheel bolt pattern). And of course, match the brakes to the drum diameter that you buy. Probably a 7" for a 13' Scamp, but verify first.

Check eBay, too, you may find a package deal. Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-Brakes-t...019822&vxp=mtr
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
BC Scamper13's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Posts: 23
Registry
Hoo boy, I'm sure I will need some help with this. Those prices look good!

My Subaru hitch came with a 4 pin connector for the trailer lights (I assume) so can the same wizard who installs the brakes fix the car to communicate with the trailer brake system? The Scamp has a 7 pin connector and the Subaru has a 4 pin connector - even with my amazing math ineptitude this strikes me as a problem. Does the car end get a new set of wires, or more wires?

The eBay link you gave me has a lot of information (and pictures!!!) but the complete brake set up is $150 and shipping is over $200!

Well I'm learning bit by bit. Thanks so much Tom!!!
__________________
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
Junior Member
 
BC Scamper13's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Posts: 23
Registry
Photo uploaded to user account - all photos get turned upside down

Arghhhh

I've been trying to add pictures to my album, but every one is flipped! They look fine when I select them, then when uploaded they are upside down. I even edited the photos so they were upside down when selected, and uploaded one right side up and the other one upside down and when uploaded - BOTH were upside down! Fiends are messing with me or an ipad issue?

So here is a test picture of the new Scamp Spot.

Looks good in the preview . . .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
__________________
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Thomas G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Scamper13 View Post
Hoo boy, I'm sure I will need some help with this. Those prices look good!

My Subaru hitch came with a 4 pin connector for the trailer lights (I assume) so can the same wizard who installs the brakes fix the car to communicate with the trailer brake system? The Scamp has a 7 pin connector and the Subaru has a 4 pin connector - even with my amazing math ineptitude this strikes me as a problem. Does the car end get a new set of wires, or more wires?
You will need a brake controller installed on the tow vehicle. A nice feature is also to have a charging wire added so the tow vehicle charges the trailer battery as you drive. These are connected, with the 4 other wires that you have now, to a 7 pin connector. Any competent mechanic can do this. The 7th wire is for backup lights, which you probably don't need.

Quote:
The eBay link you gave me has a lot of information (and pictures!!!) but the complete brake set up is $150 and shipping is over $200!
Yikes, that is quite an up-charge over the $40 shipping in the lower 48.

Quote:
Well I'm learning bit by bit. Thanks so much Tom!!!
It isn't hard, as your pop would have told you.
__________________
UHaul and Burro owners, join the UHaul Campers on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/529276933859491/
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Junior Member
 
BC Scamper13's Avatar
 
Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Posts: 23
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
It isn't hard, as your pop would have told you.
Thank you so much Tom, you just made me cry, in the very best of ways, remembering my dad.
__________________
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Good luck on your new adventures and welcome
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Scamper13 View Post
I have been busy with getting up to speed with the basics!

- got a Subaru hitch installed on my 2004 Subaru Forester - $600 parts and labor at dealer (limited choices in an isolated town of 30k). Figured it was cheaper than a new car with a trailer hitch! We are a 1 car family - simpler and cheaper.

- my BAL stabilizer came it is fabulous! Really makes the Scamp feel rock steady, I used it when I had it on the street, and now am using it in the yard w/ the Scamp in its new spot. Also have the rear stabilizers down of course but the BAL leveler is essential as far as evening out the side to side level.

- moved the Scamp off the street to be next to the garage. Got it stabilized with BAL and chocks and its all level. Also plugged her in to outlet in garage! We got power!

- my Harbor Freight Trailer dolly came in the mail - used a cupon and the total with freight was about $60. I'll need the dolly to move the Scamp out to the street to hitch to the car. Haven't used it yet, but put it together with assistance of YouTube video!

- I got down and dirty and confirmed via iPhone camera that my 2001 Scamp has the valuable brake flanges! So I can have electric brakes installed without ordering a new axel! Yeah! I want the brakes for safety, we have some steep grades in Alaska, notably the road out of Skagway to Whitehorse. Plan to get them installed before next summer.

- my fairy Scampmother, who sold me her Scamp, helped me figure out the awning yesterday, so now I have it out for a front porch cover. It's angled a bit for the inevitable rain we "enjoy" in the Tongass temperate rainforest. (Precipitation falls on an average 230 days per year, averaging 62.5 inches but ranging from 55 to 90 inches. Makes the Northwest look like the Banana Belt to us in SE Alaska!)

I'm going to post some photos in my profile.

Meanwhile I am using my new playhouse for coffee and cocktails with friends and husband. Ukulele practice. And will have an overnight soon - in the yard. It's always clean! ( vs the house!). And no one expects much in the way of cooking!

Brakes are great for any load over 500 lbs
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
We have had up to 9' fall in 24 hours; most to date so store our trailer indoors for winter to prevent a crushed egg
__________________

__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi I am a proud new ower of a 1980 Scamp natem Hi, I am.... 18 08-27-2013 05:53 PM
Hi, we are soon to be proud owners of a scamp 16' Murphy C. Hi, I am.... 5 06-12-2013 08:09 AM
proud new owner of my Scamp 13 yyyyyguy General Chat 5 02-10-2012 06:44 PM
SC | 16 ft. Scamp, 2001 Scamper on the road Classified Archives 1 10-10-2011 08:49 PM
MI | 16 ft. Scamp, 2001 Scamper on the road Classified Archives 0 10-09-2011 01:39 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.