2001 Scamp 13 - proud new parent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #21

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Registry
Photo uploaded to user account - all photos get turned upside down

Arghhhh

I've been trying to add pictures to my album, but every one is flipped! They look fine when I select them, then when uploaded they are upside down. I even edited the photos so they were upside down when selected, and uploaded one right side up and the other one upside down and when uploaded - BOTH were upside down! Fiends are messing with me or an ipad issue?

So here is a test picture of the new Scamp Spot.

Looks good in the preview . . .
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Scamper13 View Post
Hoo boy, I'm sure I will need some help with this. Those prices look good!

My Subaru hitch came with a 4 pin connector for the trailer lights (I assume) so can the same wizard who installs the brakes fix the car to communicate with the trailer brake system? The Scamp has a 7 pin connector and the Subaru has a 4 pin connector - even with my amazing math ineptitude this strikes me as a problem. Does the car end get a new set of wires, or more wires?
You will need a brake controller installed on the tow vehicle. A nice feature is also to have a charging wire added so the tow vehicle charges the trailer battery as you drive. These are connected, with the 4 other wires that you have now, to a 7 pin connector. Any competent mechanic can do this. The 7th wire is for backup lights, which you probably don't need.

Quote:
The eBay link you gave me has a lot of information (and pictures!!!) but the complete brake set up is $150 and shipping is over $200!
Yikes, that is quite an up-charge over the $40 shipping in the lower 48.

Quote:
Well I'm learning bit by bit. Thanks so much Tom!!!
It isn't hard, as your pop would have told you.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #23

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
It isn't hard, as your pop would have told you.
Thank you so much Tom, you just made me cry, in the very best of ways, remembering my dad.
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #24

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Good luck on your new adventures and welcome
Old 09-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #25

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Scamper13 View Post
I have been busy with getting up to speed with the basics!

- got a Subaru hitch installed on my 2004 Subaru Forester - $600 parts and labor at dealer (limited choices in an isolated town of 30k). Figured it was cheaper than a new car with a trailer hitch! We are a 1 car family - simpler and cheaper.

- my BAL stabilizer came it is fabulous! Really makes the Scamp feel rock steady, I used it when I had it on the street, and now am using it in the yard w/ the Scamp in its new spot. Also have the rear stabilizers down of course but the BAL leveler is essential as far as evening out the side to side level.

- moved the Scamp off the street to be next to the garage. Got it stabilized with BAL and chocks and its all level. Also plugged her in to outlet in garage! We got power!

- my Harbor Freight Trailer dolly came in the mail - used a cupon and the total with freight was about $60. I'll need the dolly to move the Scamp out to the street to hitch to the car. Haven't used it yet, but put it together with assistance of YouTube video!

- I got down and dirty and confirmed via iPhone camera that my 2001 Scamp has the valuable brake flanges! So I can have electric brakes installed without ordering a new axel! Yeah! I want the brakes for safety, we have some steep grades in Alaska, notably the road out of Skagway to Whitehorse. Plan to get them installed before next summer.

- my fairy Scampmother, who sold me her Scamp, helped me figure out the awning yesterday, so now I have it out for a front porch cover. It's angled a bit for the inevitable rain we "enjoy" in the Tongass temperate rainforest. (Precipitation falls on an average 230 days per year, averaging 62.5 inches but ranging from 55 to 90 inches. Makes the Northwest look like the Banana Belt to us in SE Alaska!)

I'm going to post some photos in my profile.

Meanwhile I am using my new playhouse for coffee and cocktails with friends and husband. Ukulele practice. And will have an overnight soon - in the yard. It's always clean! ( vs the house!). And no one expects much in the way of cooking!

Brakes are great for any load over 500 lbs
Old 09-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #26

Ontario
Registry
We have had up to 9' fall in 24 hours; most to date so store our trailer indoors for winter to prevent a crushed egg

Tags
scamp