'84 Burro 13', Ohio - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Burro 13'
Ohio
'84 Burro 13', Ohio

Hello all you Fiberglass RV owners! I've been searching for the "perfect" camper for 6 months or so. I've debated fiberglass, teardrops, pop-ups, and folding campers (i.e. Aliner, Apache). I had pretty much dismissed the fiberglass RV's due to price; these little guys have quite the following, and corresponding prices. My intent is to use the camper at a scuba diving quarry/campsite I expect to be at most weekends this spring and summer. Last year I used a tent specifically designed for my pickup bed, but between set-up time, wind and rain issues and the inability to stand up and change into gear, it wasn't a great solution. I found this Burro on Craigslist yesterday. I was the first person to call on it, luckily. It was 4½ hours away, but worth the drive. Basic model, icebox, inop sink,cutting board in place of the stove, and floors that will require some investigation for sturdiness, but seem serviceable for now. The good parts: Professionally painted two years ago with 2 coats of automotive paint and 4 coats of clearcoat, good radial trailer tires, new spare, clear windows, and the trim color is a near match to my truck color, lol.

The picture is from the Craigslist ad, I'll have more pics soon.
Oh, the best part, the price: $1500

Plans are for an upgraded electrical system, heat and A/C, repair the sink, install a refrigerator, microwave, and fantastic fan in place of the existing no-fan vent, along with maintenance tasks; bearings, gaskets, deteriorated plastic bits on the outside. All the lights work, many having been recently upgraded.

I'm looking forward to learning more about what others here have already done to make their fiberglass RV fit their needs.
TomZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
You started on the right number! Congratulations. Should make a nice rig for a very reasonable investment.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

Name: Troy
Kentucky
Hello Tom
welcome to fiberglass RV. Congratulations it looks like you got a great deal I own a 85 burro and I really enjoy mine.
Troy Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tom, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here! You scored a nice looking trailer, I hope it leads you to make many, many memories.

We have several members here that use their all molded trailers as dive bases. Here's one, maybe you can swap stories (and share with the rest of us ): http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ers-48349.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #5

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Welcome Tom, I am also an avid diver and use my Cloud as my base camp. I don't think you will be disappointed. Check out my pictures I think you will appreciate my interior decor.
Tyler
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wow! If the interior is half as nice as the exterior, you got a serious bargain. Congratulations.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyEd View Post
Welcome Tom, I am also an avid diver and use my Cloud as my base camp. I don't think you will be disappointed. Check out my pictures I think you will appreciate my interior decor.
Tyler
OK then. SCUBA decor I'll be at Gilboa Quarry jn Ohio most weekends working on the PADI Divemaster Cert.

I'm a long way away from decor at this point, practical considerations first: Water tight, mechanicals (axles, bearings, tires and wheels) and lights, and a very high priority, a top notch mattress (blown lower back disc). After that, maybe add brakes, not sure it that's needed. My tow vehicle is a 2010 Dakota extended cab, V8, with the factory tow package. I've already added a brake controller to use with a two wheel tow dolly.

I'm pretty mechanical, can weld, and did aircraft avionics for most of my 28 year USAF career. My wife can sew very well, so between both of us, I think we can handle most of what will be done.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #8

Ohio
Some pics:

The cushions are in the garage, airing out. I think they are original, and in decent shape.

I picked up a used 30 amp AC/DC power panel from a RV shop today for $100. It has one 30 amp circuit, one 20 amp circuit and four 15 amp circuits. It has a bunch of DC circuits. I hope to get some wiring and outlets done this weekend.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks great for the price you paid. Everything is there, as far as I can see.

This Burro and UHaul 13 are almost twins.

Tags
burro

« First time | Rental »