'85 uHaul CT - New Campers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Ok I've taken some shots. I took a shot of the batter compartment, the converter (I think), the battery capacity, and the outlet where the external power cord comes into the camper to the single outlet. We have planned to plug in a small fridge and portableAC unit, but don't know if it'll work or not... None of the wiring looks like it's bad.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3493147901.jpg   image-33017940.jpg  

image-3868910148.jpg   image-1064140091.jpg  

image-1815867176.jpg  
__________________

__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #16
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Smile Rims.. yeah

Actually would like to get some rims, just don't know where to start looking. It did seem lots of things are proprietary, and that you just have to get something to work. Thanks for the tip...


Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Looks like a project that will take some work but is doable. Be aware that parts for the Uhaul are proprietary, so if you go to buy things like new rims, it gets a little more complicated, but they can be found. Several owners have changed their Uhaul proprietary parts to Dexter.

And sorry I called you spur. I meant to type spud, but I was on my cell and did not see it.

I am sure you will love your CT. It is even fun to fix them up. Usually anyway, although I do the decorating, so maybe the hubby might not have the same opinion.

CindyL
__________________

__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
CindyL's Avatar
 
Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Posts: 2,530
Registry
Uhaul still sells rims that fit unless they recently quit doing that. We bought ours from Uhaul. You just have to find a willing Uhaul dealer. Some of us have and then others have refused and told the would-be buyer that his trailer must be stolen, since Uhaul never sells off their trailers.
The new rims are a bit different though. We have a set of the original Uhaul wheel covers that we can't use with the new rims.

Good luck with your dealer.

CindyL
__________________
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
Member
 
Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
Posts: 33
Rims

Rims - Check with your Uhaul dealers - it seems some of them are more knowledgable and willing to help on these campers than others...I ended up talking to the manager and he said that the same size wheel fits some of their rental trailers. If you can't find them down in TN - the Uhaul in Asheville on Swannanoa River Rd. has them - (camping trip!!) I got a new rim and tire and think I paid under $100 about 3 years ago and it fits perfectly. I mounted it on the back bumper as a spare. If you'd like - I can check and make sure they still sell them and get current price here.

It seems that your converter has been replaced - doesn't look anything like my old one - so hopefully its wired and working correctly.

Looks like the original breaker/plug has been replaced with a regular one - not real sure how this will affect the electrical - if at all. I think that perhaps the replaced converter may have breaker/fuses on it...?

Another note - Our camper already had an air conditioner mounted on the roof when we purchased it, but it was not run through the campers regular electrical system. The prior owners had basically just pulled the wire and plug straight from the AC and run it between the double shell behind the cabinet, behind the stove and out through the same hole outside as the regular plug-in, and so we actually have 2 plugs to plug in (if we want regular power AND AC) I'm not sure that the camper electrical will carry a AC, but you can plug it in and see...you might blow a fuse on the converter...? Perhaps someone else on this forum that knows more about electric /wiring may be able to chime in here...

Does it still have the solar panel charger on top and wired in on the side of the battery case?


Quote:
Originally Posted by spudfriend View Post
Actually would like to get some rims, just don't know where to start looking. It did seem lots of things are proprietary, and that you just have to get something to work. Thanks for the tip...
__________________
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Night Sailor's Avatar
 
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Posts: 963
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I dont think you paid too much. It looks rather nice.
__________________
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Posts: 101
uhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudfriend View Post
Ok I've taken some shots. I took a shot of the batter compartment, the converter (I think), the battery capacity, and the outlet where the external power cord comes into the camper to the single outlet. We have planned to plug in a small fridge and portableAC unit, but don't know if it'll work or not... None of the wiring looks like it's bad.
Hi: Spud: great looking camper. My electrical looks a lot worse, I'm sure you'l be OK. I think I saw a slideshow of your photos and got distracted. Can you direct me to them? thanks h.mike P.S. I have tried way too many Uhaul phone numbers and leads trying for a rim. I did'nt have any luck that way. ended up buying an entire axle with wheels. Keep your eyes open and look in the " for sale, trade or free' category on this forum. Mike
__________________
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Ok so, I dont think we have a converter anywhere. I'm hoping to wire things so that we can optionally run a portable AC unit or small fridge from DC power.
__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #22
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Red face

Cindy, the local UHaul dealer is where we had the hitch installed on our towing vehicle, so I'll go back and check with them... thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Uhaul still sells rims that fit unless they recently quit doing that. We bought ours from Uhaul. You just have to find a willing Uhaul dealer. Some of us have and then others have refused and told the would-be buyer that his trailer must be stolen, since Uhaul never sells off their trailers.
The new rims are a bit different though. We have a set of the original Uhaul wheel covers that we can't use with the new rims.

Good luck with your dealer.

CindyL
__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #23
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Thumbs up

Sharon, that'd be great if you could check with them and see what their running price is... I don't even mind if you could pass along a phone number and I'll call. We've not done a first camping trip yet - though we thought we would right after we got the camper.. just to see what 'edges' needed to be smoothed out... but it turns out there were far more rough edges that needed smoothing out before our first trip out. Our first trip is now planned for the Labor Day weekend.. and we have two small children so working on the camper is not easy.

I will talk to the local Uhaul dealer and see what they've got. I had a local electrician come by and he said "nope, that's not a converter at all", so I don't know what it is.... perhaps it is a breaker like you've said.

No, no solar panel. I looked (and even went up on the roof to repair a small hole in the vent). I did (and still do) have 6 bolts tightened into the roof and accessible from the inside of the camper for a AC unit, but it did not come with the unit itself. There's even an electrical wire run up to that location on the roof, but it just 'ends'. It's not wired to anything - so more than likely it had to go to the AC unit that was there before we ever bought it.

Right.. running an extra "extension cable" for the AC. The electrician that gave me some pointers basically said that there were two independent systems in place... and that since he didn't see a converter, that we could run everything to the receptacle box just above the sink and then use the standard DC plug that comes in there to power the AC unit. I just have to run the cables to the AC unit's location and plug it in. I plan on working on that this morning. I might plug the AC unit in.. prior to running the wire just to test things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon W View Post
Rims - Check with your Uhaul dealers - it seems some of them are more knowledgable and willing to help on these campers than others...I ended up talking to the manager and he said that the same size wheel fits some of their rental trailers. If you can't find them down in TN - the Uhaul in Asheville on Swannanoa River Rd. has them - (camping trip!!) I got a new rim and tire and think I paid under $100 about 3 years ago and it fits perfectly. I mounted it on the back bumper as a spare. If you'd like - I can check and make sure they still sell them and get current price here.

It seems that your converter has been replaced - doesn't look anything like my old one - so hopefully its wired and working correctly.

Looks like the original breaker/plug has been replaced with a regular one - not real sure how this will affect the electrical - if at all. I think that perhaps the replaced converter may have breaker/fuses on it...?

Another note - Our camper already had an air conditioner mounted on the roof when we purchased it, but it was not run through the campers regular electrical system. The prior owners had basically just pulled the wire and plug straight from the AC and run it between the double shell behind the cabinet, behind the stove and out through the same hole outside as the regular plug-in, and so we actually have 2 plugs to plug in (if we want regular power AND AC) I'm not sure that the camper electrical will carry a AC, but you can plug it in and see...you might blow a fuse on the converter...? Perhaps someone else on this forum that knows more about electric /wiring may be able to chime in here...

Does it still have the solar panel charger on top and wired in on the side of the battery case?
__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #24
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Mike thanks for the pointers..man a whole axle... yikes! I'll look over there. Here's the post slide show I put up a few days ago:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post264608

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
Hi: Spud: great looking camper. My electrical looks a lot worse, I'm sure you'l be OK. I think I saw a slideshow of your photos and got distracted. Can you direct me to them? thanks h.mike P.S. I have tried way too many Uhaul phone numbers and leads trying for a rim. I did'nt have any luck that way. ended up buying an entire axle with wheels. Keep your eyes open and look in the " for sale, trade or free' category on this forum. Mike
__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Paul Chet's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Posts: 219
Registry
Dave,

sorry i am late to the party ... but i saw your thread and photos and realized you are trying to ID whats on the battery box. not a converter - its your solar panel charge controller. they keep the solar panel from over-charging/ damaging the battery once its topped off. since the solar panel was removed for the AC unit, there is likely no need for the charge controller now. i know mine was not working when i bought my UHAUL and it would have been nice to replace it with a working original. it could be a valuable part for the UHAUL completists out there. if you arent using it, you might consider selling it to a fellow UHAULer (just make sure it works first! )
__________________
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
Member
 
spudfriend's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Posts: 37
Paul, thanks for ID'ing it.. I had not idea.. and the electrician didn't either. I'm not a purist.. I don't have a problem parting with it... I don't know how to test it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Dave,

sorry i am late to the party ... but i saw your thread and photos and realized you are trying to ID whats on the battery box. not a converter - its your solar panel charge controller. they keep the solar panel from over-charging/ damaging the battery once its topped off. since the solar panel was removed for the AC unit, there is likely no need for the charge controller now. i know mine was not working when i bought my UHAUL and it would have been nice to replace it with a working original. it could be a valuable part for the UHAUL completists out there. if you arent using it, you might consider selling it to a fellow UHAULer (just make sure it works first! )
__________________
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Paul Chet's Avatar
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Vixen Motor Coach
California
Posts: 219
Registry
no prob Dave,

i'm not sure but if i remember correctly (i sold my UHAUL last month), the BOSS charge controller has a few indicator lights. if you can at least hook it up to some kind of power source (maybe even a small battery with a couple of wires?) to see if the indicator lights light up - that will tell you something. we have a few electrical experts here who might also chime in ...

good luck - we are off in an hour with the 'Bac Pac' for some Big Sur camping!
__________________
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #28
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudfriend View Post
I'm hoping to wire things so that we can optionally run a portable AC unit or small fridge from DC power.
That is possible with special equipment that is designed for 12 volt DC use.
Norcold DC Refrigerators
TurboKool Advanced RV Evaporative Air Coolers However I believe Tennessee is too humid for evaporative cooling to work. You'll probably need a regular Air Conditioner.

If you're thinking of using conventional household equipment with batteries and an inverter, their current draw will overwhelm your system and fail unless you cart around a massive multiple battery bank. Just to get substantial operational running time for the Refrigerator alone will require 2 large Deep Cycle Batteries, and preferably a solar recharging system in the 50 watt range.

My guess is that a 5000 BTU Air Conditioner will require at minimum a 2000 watt generator. I tried to run my 5000 BTU A/C on a 1000 watt generator but it wouldn't handle the load.

I had a Cool Chill 40qt. TE w/ 110 Converter in my first trailer and I tried to run it from a battery alone.
It fried a deep cycle marine battery within 6 hours.
From then on, I had to use it on 110 volts AC, or in the car but only with the engine (and alternator) running.
__________________

__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
uhaul


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiberglass Campers pjanits General Chat 9 08-29-2012 01:39 PM
Amerigo Campers Chrs P General Chat 9 05-12-2011 09:46 PM
different sub-categories of campers CharlynnT General Chat 7 06-03-2009 03:46 PM
Hi-Lo campers matt scott General Chat 15 06-12-2007 03:04 PM
New Campers Mike Watters General Chat 4 01-31-2007 02:55 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.