9+ years full time - returning to the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #1

Name: steve
Trailer: Shopping for dual axle Bigfoot
Montana
9+ years full time - returning to the road

Hi all...

I spent 9+ years full time in a BlueBird WanderLodge. It was a magnificent experience. Because of my prognosis, I'm returning to the road with my wife. ...a guy's gotta make the best of the time he's got.

Hoping to find a deal on:
  • an Airstream
  • a Bigfoot
  • an Arctic Fox
  • an Escape
  • a Casita 17
I'm hoping to find a quality rig after watching countless RV & Travel Trailers crumble under the least amount of use and stress.

So far it looks like deals are pretty hard to come by...
mt5937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Steve, welcome to FiberglassRV. Lots of folks have put their trailers to bed for winter. Sales typically heat up in the Fall and again in the Spring, mid-Summer and Winter... not so much.

Since you've got quite a list of brands you're willing to look at, keep an eye on: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #3

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Sales typically heat up in the Fall and again in the Spring, mid-Summer and Winter... not so much.

Since you've got quite a list of brands you're willing to look at, keep an eye on: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Thanks for the lead, Donna, I'll look there.

I am clearly going to need to ask my friends around the country to take first looks at these trailers for me because the cost of flying place to place would kill me.

Heck, driving to central Florida and back from NW MT is a 2 week proposition...without might time for sightseeing. Of course, I've seen all but a few states, however the wife and daughter haven't seen much of America except for airports
Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Steve

Let me suggest adding an EggCamper to your search list. If it is just two of you it would be a good choice. In the last month two EggCampers have come up for sale on this forum, both in outstanding condition.

Of course I might be just a little bit biased.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Welcome, Steve. I realize that funds can be a limiting factor for most of us, but if you are able I would say just forget about waiting for the right "deal" and buy a new one, so you can start enjoying right away.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Welcome, Steve. I realize that funds can be a limiting factor for most of us, but if you are able I would say just forget about waiting for the right "deal" and buy a new one, so you can start enjoying right away.
That was my modus operani. Unfortunately, 2 months in the hospital, 3 surgeries, 4 months of heavy IV drugs, and physical therapy put a crimp in my usual style .

I want back on the road ASAP but $10k for a 15 year old TT that cost $12k when new doesn't strike me as a deal.

...but then I'm a bull head who needs to bash his head against the wall so that I feel better when I quit
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum.

Might look at the Fun Finder TTs, such as: a X-160 or the X-160 WB. Or even better, X-189FBR. I have never actually checked these out, but from reports of them from folks who have one have been good. Price wise, they might be less expensive than the molded fiberglass ones. Seem to be tough little rigs with larger beds & several layouts & lengths. I would think more of them would have been made, therefore maybe not a hard to find. After all, there are More Small Trailers out there. If you can find one at a price you can live with and you like the layout......go for it. If doing it all over again, I'd consider going with a Fun Finder or one of the others. At my age, I really do not need a trailer which can last me 30 years or so. Ha!

Good luck with your Quest.

DesertHawk Somewhere in Eastern MT in 2009 at a Rest Area off I-94

2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

Montana
Thanks Deserthawk, but if it's not an egg-type TT, it's not on my list. ...exception, Airstream...but money makes that just a dream.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Yes, if you could come up with an Airstream Bambi, that would be smokin'. I really liked the one I looked at in 2005.....after I'd already order the Scamp at a fraction of the price of the Bambi.

A new make, "Lil' Snoozy"; seems to all electric, but a very nice design, good sized bed. Depending on were you "camp", this would be a really nice trailer if you primary or only stay at campgrounds/RV parks with hookups. I have read reports about them; a very roomy small trailer. Never actually seen one. But not many out there, used, I'd think.

The Canadian Escape, seems like a really neat fiberglass make & should have some used ones out and about.

Someone mentioned the all electric Egg Camper, they seem very roomy.....could be some of those to found used as well.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Egg resale values have been truly amazing lately... at least for those on the selling end. That's why I bought one of those cheap disposable trailers ... mine was under $10,000 brand new.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #11

Montana
All electric is out for me; we plan to camp in the free Montana campgrounds in the state and national forests. When we start traveling the country, my intention is to boondoggle as much as possible.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Best wishes in finding a trailer to your liking at a price that you can afford! The fiberglass market does seem to be holding their value (and when we sold our 17' Oliver, we actually made money on it).

Welcome back to the road. We've done just about opposite of you - we full timed in our Oliver for 3 years (and a year before in a 16' Tab), and just recently - we're in a bus conversion By the way.. the bus conversion market has just about tanked, and you can easily find a good bus for under $10k.

- Cherie
Cherie Ve Ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The Egg Camper is available either all electric or with propane. Off the grid is not an issue with a generator. Ours is all electric and we have a Honda 2000.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #14

Montana
The wife is leaning heavily toward a 5th wheel; I'm trying to figure out how to afford the fuel for a bus. I need to reserve judgement on the Escape and Bigfoots that are said to be in good condition, but I don't know if I can settle for less than BlueBird construction quality. I we'll be traveling to see a few rigs the weekend after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: mt5937...Here's a peek at the Miss. Sept. pinup from the 2012 Escape calendar. Ain't she cute!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
earned my stripes.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Texas
MT5937,
I noticed this on the Casita Club site that one of the members had posted in response to another newbie's request. This Casita is in Utah. Hope this might help in your search. http://www.ksl.com/i...=&search=casita
Gchilds17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
All electric is out for me; we plan to camp in the free Montana campgrounds in the state and national forests. When we start traveling the country, my intention is to boondoggle as much as possible.
Boondoggling I've never done that but it sounds like a waste of time and effort . I've been Boulderdashing and Haversacking. I've even been Jabberwalking a couple of times, but my favorite is Boondocking

Welcome to the forum

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #18

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Boondoggling I've never done that but it sounds like a waste of time and effort . I've been Boulderdashing and Haversacking. I've even been Jabberwalking a couple of times, but my favorite is Boondocking
The word is "boondocking?"

Times and vocabulary change over time. We always called it "boondoggling" which actually has a dictionary definition. The definition fairly fits what we do while practicing the craft: "work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy." Of course, most people probably think of "a government boondoggle."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childs in Texas View Post
MT5937,
Hope this might help in your search. http://www.ksl.com/i...=&search=casita

Thank you. I tried to look, but unfortunately, the URL is truncated.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt5937 View Post
The word is "boondocking?"

Times and vocabulary change over time. We always called it "boondoggling" which actually has a dictionary definition. The definition fairly fits what we do while practicing the craft: "work of little or no value done merely to keep or look busy." Of course, most people probably think of "a government boondoggle."

One is as good as the other. It just struck me as funny so I laughed along

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM   #20

Name: Julie
Trailer: Future Casita Owner
North Central Texas
I'm just thinking outloud here (or, via the keyboard anyway) but I wonder if there are any price cuts at upcoming RV shows? Lots of the RV shows are in the first part of the year before the RV season really starts. I know from past shows I've been to dealers sometimes actually do have great discounts if you 'buy now'. RV Shows in US and Candada 2012

Or, I wonder if there is a private individual who would lease an RV for a time, which would give you more time to keep shopping to own. I'm not sure where one would find this though.

I'm all for starting the dream NOW!