actively looking for a 13 foot scamp or like model - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #1

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
Smile actively looking for a 13 foot scamp or like model

Hi, I am from Ma. I would like to find a 13 foot scamp or like model type in the New England area. I am upgrading from a popup camper to a small fiberglass type due to my age and can no longer deal with lots of work to camp. I love to camp and do not want to give it up so i believe this would be the right choice for me. Any news would be appreciated. Thankyou. Rita in Ma.
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Rita!

A small fiberglass egg is a great upgrade from a tent trailer. You give up the wide open spaces, of course, but you gain convenient set-up, the ability to use the trailer in transit, and greater comfort and security in foul weather. We love ours!

A 13' Scamp or similar will weigh 1400-2200 pounds loaded. That's a pretty wide range because some are very basic (icebox and cooktop) while others are loaded with extras (AC, 3-way fridge, furnace, awning, full bath with HW heater,...). Not sure where on that spectrum you fit, but beware of sellers who claim "under 1000 pounds."

There aren't typically a lot of 13'ers for sale in your region, so you'll want to do some active looking everywhere you can: here, Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale, and Craigslist. Keep your eyes open locally, too- that's how I found mine. Now's a good time to start looking, as prices tend to be lower in the fall. There won't be as many for sale, but there also won't be as many buyers lining up. I found mine in October.

Best wishes in your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #3

Name: rita
Trailer: currently shopping
Massachusetts
Thankyou Jon for the heads up. I have been looking on craigslist every day as I have had good luck in the past selling my unwanted items. I did sell a 18' camper on craigslist last year as it was way too big for me. I know the grandchildren will miss the pop-up, but while it is still like new, i believe they will enjoy the egg better in the long run as i do all the work while they enjoy the camping part. Especially when it rains and they want to challenge me to a game of checkers!!
rita in ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Rita,
There's one on Boston Craigslist as of yesterday. I'm looking too- this one has a bath and we need the bunks. It's a 2014 used once- $13200

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/rvs/5214971424.html
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
And that ad perfectly illustrates the misinformation that's out there… "Very light, pull with any car" it says, and yet this is a fully loaded, front bath model that probably weighs close to 2000 pounds. Many passenger sedans are limited to 1000 pounds, if they have any tow rating at all.

Okay, rant over. I'm sure it's a nice trailer, if you're looking for a loaded, front bath model, if you have a vehicle that's rated to tow 2000-2500 pounds, and if you're willing to pay a near-new price (sans shipping) for a near-new trailer. The bath takes away the extra sleeping spots, so it's limited to two adults (with the big bed, you might get away with one adult and two small kids if you don't mind cozy). The front bath really reduces usable space in such a small trailer.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Or is it a Scam?? Looks like it could be a stock ad from Scamp?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
It is a stock illustration, but I don't think that necessarily means a scam. Usually scams entice with a below-market price, and $13.2K seems, if anything, a bit optimistic. Since they placed the ad in Boston but indicated the trailer is stored in VT, they probably didn't have access to take pictures.

But you never know. Maybe there is no trailer in VT. Never buy without seeing the trailer, the title, and the ID of the seller (which should match the title).
Old 09-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #8

Name: Sam
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
13' Scamp

My wife and I love our 13'. Bought in 2011 for a little over $12,000 direct from factory. Our daughter lives about an hour from the factory, so it was a convenient pick up. Ours is pretty much loaded, except no air conditioner (although they automatically wire it for a/c in case a person wants it later. We have front bath/shower, stove, refrigerator, furnace, awning, hot water heater, and 2 propane tanks. Don't know what it weighs, but certainly more than 1,000 lbs. We pulled with a Caravan with tow package for a couple years (rated for pulling 3600 lbs) the traded up to a Toyota Highlander which is rated at 5000 lbs. We took it on a 10,000 mile round trip Wisconsin to Central Yukon and through Alaska last year. No problems at all. I love the small size for ease of towing, as well as parking. When staying just one night, we never unhooked - just put down the stabilizers, turn on the gas and we were ready to sleep. But with the 13 ft, you have to chose between having bunk beds or bathroom. So it doesn't accomodate grandkids too much. We seldom put up the table for meals - too much work to re-make the bed at night.
But from what I hear, they are in strong demand and it is hard to come across used ones, and they tend to hold their value pretty well.

One think I like about Scamp is that they put in a double layer of a bubble insulation, which is great in cold weather. But the windows certainly are not energy efficient, and do collect the steam. Opening the top vent helps to reduce the vapor, but in cold weather there is no way around it.

We use it at home during the winter when our kids & grandkids come home for Christmas - I've slept in it when the weather was 10 below, but with a LOT of blankets and quilts, and an electric heater for when I get up.

Hope that helps. Wishing you the best in finding what will meet your needs.

Sam Holiday
samboholiday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp