Am I too old ..... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #21

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I bought my first travel trailer last spring at age 65. My burro and I travelled this summer and it was wonderful. It's a little 13 foot 1982 sweetie and I really enjoyed the adventure. I'm going to my first rally at casitas lake in October to see what other fiberglassers are doing with their shells! So glad I did this!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
One couple on this forum travels in a camper with 2 parrots.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Yep, Cindy.

Check out these pics:

Blue and Gold "aliens" from the planet Zeon.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Don't let those kids tell you what is best for you, at least not for another decade or two! Or the next thing you know, they'll have you in assisted living or something! They love you, but they want you to have quantity--lots of years--but you have learned the value of quality. So go for quality of life, and live fully. Follow your dreams and fear not.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #25

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Nonsense, if you are healthy, you can do this. You might find it helpful to rent a small motor home, like a Class B, to try camping for a few weeks and see if you really like it. It would also give you a chance to get into campgrounds and see other people's rigs and talk to them about issues and advantages.

A class B is like a big van. Roadtrek Rentals | Class B Rental | Van Camper Rentals | Roadtrek RV Rental
Good call !
That's what I would tell my mom !
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #26

Name: Dorothy
Trailer: currently shopping
Minnesota
I'm only 60 and new to the Scamp world, but love it. The only caveat I would add to all the positives is the challenge of lining up the trailer and the tow vehicle. You will want one of the super duper assists to get that ball and receiver together. WE don't have one, but are looking to pick something up to ease the nuisance of the hitching. Other than that, HAPPY TRAILS!!
The Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Pat, I camp with a couple of 'young' (at heart!!) ladies. One is in her mid 60's and just started towing and camping 2 years ago. The other one is 70 and camped with her hubby. When she lost him several years ago, she made the choice to keep camping. She's towed her trailer from upper Michigan all the way dow to St Louis, Mo. If you want to try it, you go for it!! (BTW, I'm 56 myself, just a yungin, but plan to still be camping when I'm 70). Check out the Tin Can Tourists, another group of camping lovers, and most are vintage trailer owners.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #28

Name: Rosemary & Glenn
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
British Columbia
Reading all these posts is bringing tears to my eyes. 11 years ago when I crashed and burned in my nursing job, I thought my life was over. I was 48. One year later, when I could breathe again, with no job, no pension, single with a teenage son, I took a deep breath & did what I'd secretly longed my entire life to do - go to university and get a degree in music. It seemed totally irrational to those around me at the time, but my experience truly was that "The Universe" DOES provide if you follow your heart.

Today I am blissfully married to my high school sweetheart who appeared out of nowhere 30 years after I last saw him; about to head out with our puppy and a lap harp in our first RV. Life can change so quickly - but in such awesome ways if you are true to your inner calling. Good luck and keep us posted
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #29

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Git R Done!!

Pat,
It's helped me add LIFE to my years! The same'o same'o was really getting to me after I retired and the new places, friends and escape from that hum drum existance has been terrific ' therapy '. I recommend it!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile No Sailing - Camping

We owned a sailboat for 30 years. Didn't get to use it as much as I would have liked. One factor was the 45 minute set-up and another 45 minutes tear down times.

We had tent camped for even longer. Even sailing and camping. But the last time we tent camped I decided I could no longer sleep in a cold, damp tent. That is when some couple from Tacoma pulled up with a Casita. I had not known that such handy sized RVs existed until then. So around my 66th birthday, we bought our new Trillium. We are using it much more than I anticipated, and love it! We even have become snow birds. I am 70 now.

I don't know where in AZ you live, but lucky for you, Trillium has moved their factory to Florence, just south of Phoenix/Mesa. I would recommend a visit and tell Tom that Roger and Mary sent you. (ask for the referral discount if you do buy one.)

I love moving our Homelet by hand to hitch it up in an RV park much to the amazement of those huge trailer owners!!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #31

Name: Rosemary & Glenn
Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
British Columbia
Lots of Company!

Here's a really interesting video about older women solo RVing:

Older women escape winter winds in RVs - Yahoo!

They interview a woman named Jamie Hall Bruzenak who has written "Woman's Guide to Solo RVing" & "Women's Journeys on the Open Road."

Sounds like there are many single older women RVers close by in Arizona

Fascinating and inspiring!
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #32

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
oh my,, darling lady you are never too pold to have fun.
in the last few years i have met so many women of a certain age that are out exploring the world for themselves. on sweet lady we met up in pennsilvania,, was a few years past you, she has a teardrop camper , and travels at least one week every month. this was in april,,in june she was going on a trip to the headwaters of the amazon. it was a guided tour, but no one she knew was going with her.
she does something like that every year. that trip we met 4 seperate single women all camping on their own.

it seems every trip we go on we meet more ladies just like you. so do not let anyone deswaid you. the most wonderful thing you can do for yourself is to travel. you will meet so many new friends. have so many wonderful meals. see so many wonderful sights.

and i pray to god, somewhere along your trail, my wife and i will meet you.
when we do, i will make us a big pot of coffee, or tea if you prefer, toast us some english muffins, and share some of my home made "queen ann's lace" jelly with you. we will talk about all the wonders we have seen, laugh and cry at each others stories.
till then fair lady, keep the sun on your face and the wind at your back.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #33

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Queen Anne's Lace jelly??? Carrot flavored jelly. YUM!
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #34

Name: PAT
Trailer: BROWSING FIBERGLASS TRAILERS
Arizona
So many sweet messages, they almost make me cry. Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement; it's just what I needed. I guess my first job is to find myself a tow vehicle as my little Kia Soul will definitely not get the job done. Life is to be lived until the end, and I have got myself stuck in such a rut the last few years--well, time to break out and have myself some fun. Thank you for your posts.
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #35

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
Don't ever put yourself in a position of having to say "I wish I had....."
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #36

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
A chronological age has nothing to do with anybodies answers. On a weekly basis I deal with people that are less than 60 that seem older than 90. I've met centurions that I truly believe are younger than me.

The real question here is what are you comfortable with? Is a tent or trailer OK? Or do you need all the amenities of home and them some in a big RV called a diesel pusher worth more than my home?

Are you comfortable with the pit washroom, the port-a-pottie or do you require a flush toilet with full maid service?

What I'm getting at is that there are many types of camping. You have to decide what you are comfortable with. Can it be done, Yes!! Many enjoy it. Some don't.

Suggestions have been to rent. Try it. Borrow or join a friend before investing. Unless you can afford it. If the latter is the situation, I might consider selling one of my trailers.

Do you want to have full service or boondock, I can set you up for both. Want to swing between the two? I can set you up for that as well.

Want to enjoy life? Please do. Remeber to come back and tell all of us that have to work what retirement is all about!

Personally, I'd rather camp than cruise. Egg campers are real people.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #37

Name: PAT
Trailer: BROWSING FIBERGLASS TRAILERS
Arizona
I loved your kind words of wisdom--especially, the quote at the bottom. Oh, so true.
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #38

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrazyp View Post
So many sweet messages, they almost make me cry. Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement; it's just what I needed. I guess my first job is to find myself a tow vehicle as my little Kia Soul will definitely not get the job done. Life is to be lived until the end, and I have got myself stuck in such a rut the last few years--well, time to break out and have myself some fun. Thank you for your posts.
Hi: scrazyp... "I have got myself stuck in such a rut the last few years". The difference between a rut and a grave is the dimentions.
There's too much of this ol' world out there to see and do. Hope you find a really nice tug and tow... and off you go!!! You will find a lot of great campers under fb'glass too...and always willing to lend a helping hand.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #39

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrazyp View Post
Ms. Pat,
Putting the cart before the horse may help a bit before you decide on a tow vehicle. Being able to afford to go places, with the high price of fuel and low maintenance costs, really got me looking at lightweight FGRVs. They have many advantages over bigger rigs with the exception of space! I know everybody has an opinion but I really like the slightly bigger rigs , 16-17' and especially the widebodies, that are still relatively light weight. But, I have to smile when I pull my little CT and get 25mpg with my Mini Clubman S!

Bottom line is, of course, what's best for you and yours! HAPPY HUNTING!
Old 09-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I sure hope 71 isn't too old since at 68, I'm not all that far behind! I just finished a 138 day, 16,000 mile solo trip around the country and enjoyed every minute of it. Did much the same last year, and a trip to Alaska sure looks good for the future!

I do suggest picking out your trailer before the tow vehicle. That way you can be sure to purchase something that is capable of towing your choice. Going the other way around may limit your choice of a trailer...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote