Am I too old ..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #1

Name: PAT
Trailer: BROWSING FIBERGLASS TRAILERS
Arizona
Smile Am I too old .....

As I sit in my AZ home surrounding by all my junk that I thought was so priceless and I just had to have--I am thinking "is this all there is?" I have just turned a young 71 with no major health issues (knee replacement six months ago and doing great), a huge case of wanderlust has descended upon me. I mentioned this to my kids and their reaction was "too many crazies out there," you've never camped in your life," and the worst "Mom, you're too old to start something like that." Well, I don't feel old and my brain has not turned to pudding, so I'm wondering "why can't I do this?"

If there are singles out there that have taken up this lifestyle in their 70s, please let me know if this is feasible. I haven't bought a trailer yet or a vehicle to pull it, but I will be seriously looking this winter. Thank you in advance for your help.
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
From a guy 76 with a wife 73, YOU'RE NOT TOO OLD!! Since we bought our Egg Camper in the spring of 2011, we've taken it to Montana, Idaho, Pennsylvania, and places in between and attended two molded fiberglass trailer rallies. Lots of fun and a wonderful bunch of people. Ignore your kids & go for it. Where in AZ do you live? We've spent 17 winters there, the last 10 or so in Camp Verde.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Nonsense, if you are healthy, you can do this. You might find it helpful to rent a small motor home, like a Class B, to try camping for a few weeks and see if you really like it. It would also give you a chance to get into campgrounds and see other people's rigs and talk to them about issues and advantages.

A class B is like a big van. Roadtrek Rentals | Class B Rental | Van Camper Rentals | Roadtrek RV Rental
Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Do it. We have seen older people, single male or female, traveling and camping alone. In all kind of campers, from teardrops to motor homes. A lady in her 70's was at a gathering we attend, I think it was last year, and she was full timing it in a T@B camper. You just have to decide what will work for you, what you can comfortably handle. There is a group of women campers, "women on the fly" or something like that. Last year at a campground a daughter brought her single mom into our campsite to check out our teardrop, mom was widowed, late 60's, and looking for a camper she could manage herself. And most other campers will help if you ask. Consider a camper van to start, no hooking or set up involved. Good luck, don't give up the dream, and don't wait.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Go for it. Our camper has changed our lives. We go all over now, because it does not cost so much to travel. However, notice, I said "We." You need to judge your capability. We did camp next to a lady who was in her 80s at a Scamp rally a few years ago though, so.......

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I believe Women On The Fly is women who camp and fish (the fly). Loners On Wheels is another singles camping group.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I googled it, looks like it's "Sisters on the Fly"
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
71's not old, and sure wont start you traveling adventures any younger. Go for it. There's lot of good information out there about RV traveling. A small trailer is often a good start. Somebody mentioned "Sisters on the Fly" here's their web site.

Before you buy a trailer I suggest you go to a rally or gathering and look at the trailers first. You can find where and when on this site here

My wife and I are 70 close to it. Nothing like traveling and with our little 13' Scamp it's really easy.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Hi Pat, don't let anyone tell you 'you can't do it!' I will be 70 next year and I tow a Trillium 4500......everywhere and anywhere. You can too!!

If a small travel trailer is alittle frightening to you, if you've never towed bf try a camper van (rented) for a couple outings. Meet other campers, and watch, ask questions and talk to folks. Alittle intimidating to do it alone? Find a pal who is as game as you are.

It's not as hard as you may think....just one step at a time. You can do it!!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I can't speak to the age issue, I am a young punk of only 47. But if you can drive a car, you can tow a trailer. Way easier then tenting. Get out and see your continent. A camper van is also a good idea.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Pat, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here!

Change is sometimes difficult. But, if not now... when? The one thing a person can never, ever get back is time.

You might also want to check out: RVing Women

There's a chapter in Arizona!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Pat,

Ginny and I just turned 70 and will not stop traveling until they rip our keys from our hands. We have so far spent 307 consecutive days in our Scamp on this year's trip.

As to "crazys out there". We've been RVing for 11 years and met no crazys in our travels. This generation has been brought up in fear. In our area the school bus will not drop a kid off unless the parent is there.... It's a different time not because there are crazys but because we live in fear they are there.

Of course there are some but if there's one in backwater anywhere the media hypes it to death instead of telling us what's really important.

Hit the road... it's the best thing we've ever done (outside of getting married and the kids...)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #13

Name: Charles
Trailer: In The Market
Texas
I use to belong to Loners On Wheels and there were several (lots) of ladies in your age group that traveled alone. I am 81 and traveled last 27 years and bought small home and now kicking myself every day for doing it. Your Kids will get over it mine did. Google LOW (loners on Wheels) there should be chapter in your area or close by - They are a fine bunch of people. I do not belong to LOW any more but hope this will help. GO FOR IT.
ChasWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Look at it this way if you do it and it works out well for you, great. If it turns out to be a total waste of time... so what?!? I'm not even 60 yet and I can't remember how many things I tried and did not like or would not call a stunning success. But there are also many I fondly remember that I attempted. Besides some of the failures make for great stories. The challenges overcome make for even better ones.

I mean come on, your raised kids? Camping is a WHOLE lot easier than that.

You don't have to go far to open up new experiences, and crazies while out there don't tend to hang around at state parks and campground with a bunch of people. And they also don't tend to want to drive way out in the wilderness to look for someone to bother.

Pack a first aid kit, keep the cell phone charged and the road side assistance card handy and go for it if you want to.

Oh and if there is a fiberglass RV rally in your area go to it, stay in a motel and just spend the day there. It will be fun and informative.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Pat, do what makes your heart dance ! There are things you can do to make sure your travels are safe.... I solo, now do to Dh illness, I have rv'ed the majority of my life, so it's not new to me. But traveling alone is. There are pre-cautions to be taken, but that shouldn't stop you from making your dreams come true!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #16

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Do it!

At 39 (and single)I have a few years to go before i can answer your question, BUT I got my Scamp just so I could camp on my own.

I'm a weekender only for now, and just bought this May. The handful of times I've gotten out in the woods since (I like more rustic campgrounds) there are always friendly "neighbors" ---some ready to help guide you backing up ;-)

Have fun!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #17

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
No you are not too old! I'm 60 and I'm looking and learning and can't wait to find my trailer and hit the road. There is a rally here in East Texas next month and I'm going to look and learn and meet people! It might be a good starting place for you. As you can tell from the responses you are getting this is a great community of people who love the lifestyle and like to share it. Everyone has been so helpful and encouraging to me. Best of luck to you as you head on the next phase of your journey!
Janb313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #18

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I say go for it......it's just 2 months 'til I'm 69 and been towing my little Scamp around for the last 12 years. I don't full time but I have taken a number of long trips that have been 3 months long and better. From California to Alaska and back, to the Great Lakes and back and many more trips.

With each year passing the years have been coming off. I'm figuring that I'm probably around 50 years of age maybe even younger. You know 70 is the new 50, lol!! Now I have to stipulate that I have absolutely no health problems and none run in my family. We have long life lines so I figure that I have easily another 20 years of towing my trailer, that would put me near 90 and Hey, like someone else said "They will likely have to pry the keys out of my hands"
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #19

Name: Cat
Trailer: Uhaul CT
Maryland
"Too old" is no notion you should take if you're still kickin and feeling wild.

In the group I travel with, many people are in their 60's, 70's, 80's, and we all admire Helen who's pushing the 90's and still traveling, running her business, and scolding the breakfast crew for how they make her morning coffee. (Black, extra hot, full to the top)

As others has said, "the crazies" are minimal and hardly problematic. There are far more friendly helpful strangers on the road than nasty ones. I've honestly never met a trucker, a tattooed biker, or young punk that wouldn't pull over to help an elder out.
The experiences you have will far outweigh any discomfort you may find. And honestly, what's the worst that can happen? You won't finish college? Even while weighing the pros and cons, consider that if you don't like it, you can always go back.

The kids may not have realized the beauty of life and experience, but you have, and seize it now so you don't regret it later.
SnappleofDiscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #20

Name: PAT
Trailer: BROWSING FIBERGLASS TRAILERS
Arizona
Talking What great suggestions and encouragement!

Thank you everyone who responded to my posting. All of the responses were wonderful and so much appreciated. That was just the encouragement I needed to earnestly start looking for my trailer this winter.

Also, just the nudge I need to reduce my flock (parrots) down to one. I have three now and they require a lot of work and they always have been my excuse to not go anywhere because I would have to get back to my feathered friends.

I will be reading the Forum and learning from it--what a great educational tool this is for all of us "newbies."

Thanks again.
scrazyp is offline   Reply With Quote