Amerigo information needed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Amerigo
Virginia
Amerigo information needed

Hi Folks, another Newbie here with some questions. Is there any information available on the years of manufacture of the Amerigo FG-16? Most of them I've seen have been '72-'73 models. I just acquired one that needs restoration. It didn't have a title, but it did have a bill of sale indicating that it is an '80 model. I look forward to transforming her back to her original appearance and I would like to start by having the correct information. Where is the serial number located? Any restoration photos available? Thanks everyone. This is a great site. Tom
Liaison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Tom, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you're here

The Amerigo is a fine molded trailer. We have a number of owners here. Sam has a current thread going on about his restoration: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ild-55963.html

I'll leave the other questions to those in the know, just wanted to say
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
Hey Tom,

I am working on my Amerigo and MartyV.K. is doing one too. My trailer was bad on the inside, like really bad! So I am starting from the fiberglass in. I don't have a title and not worried about it, but I don't have a year for mine either, the tag on the trailer is not readable. Post pictures and lets see what you got.
Thanks Donna!

Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Welcome aboard

Hmm. One can look at newspaper archives for historical infomation. Amerigo also made a truck camper that sleeps 6.
Unfortunately, there was also a racehorse named Amerigo as well as one named Amerigo Lady. Complicates the search process.
Anyway, a dealer in Anderson IN was selling 1969 and 1972 Amerigo Nomads.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #5

Virginia
Amerigo Information

Thanks Guys,

I have been following Sam's progress. I hope that I don't have to go quite as far into the project. The body is in great shape. The door is going to be a hassle, with lots of cracks to fill and strengthen. All of the cushions are new and look great. The interior has gone through a few poorly-done refits, but nothing that can't be corrected. I'm certain that, after removing the TWO LAYERS OF PLYWOOD OVER THE ORIGINAL, I'll probably be looking at the ground. Any ideas on serial number location? Can this actually be an '80 model? Most of them seem to be '72 or '73 models. I know the slide-in truck campers were manufactured for several additional years.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010073.jpg   P1010074.jpg  

P1010077.jpg   P1010076.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #6

Tom, be sure to check out the Document Center for info: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Amerigo
Old 04-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tom
Nice trailer. I looked at that trailer last summer but not real closely. A big black snake was claming the trailer as his home. I also looked for a VIN but could not find one.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #8

Virginia
Good Morning Eddie,

Where do you live? The only thing confronting me was a nest of mice. For $350 I couldn't go wrong. After getting her home she got a good powerwashing, which made the exterior look great; much better than her posted "before" photos. All of the cushions were there, and in like-new condition. The flooring needs to be replaced before any other interior work can begin. I found a nice stove and hood in Fayetteville, NC, if I can find someone heading North that I can pay to deliver it to Virginia. Any takers?
Old 04-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tom
The mice were going to be dinner for the snake.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaison View Post
.......... For $350 I couldn't go wrong. ......
Wow - $350? I'm sorry to say, you got taken, but I feel so bad for you I'd be willing to give you $350 to get you back to even.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #11

Tennessee
mice

Quote:
Good Morning Eddie,

Where do you live? The only thing confronting me was a nest of mice. For $350 I couldn't go wrong. After getting her home she got a good powerwashing, which made the exterior look great; much better than her posted "before" photos. All of the cushions were there, and in like-new condition. The flooring needs to be replaced before any other interior work can begin. I found a nice stove and hood in Fayetteville, NC, if I can find someone heading North that I can pay to deliver it to Virginia. Any takers?

I stripped the walls out and that was all was there mice nest, packed down insulation and bucket full of rat turds........
my floor was soft at the door ( door at bottom had about a 2" crack between the body and the door) and more or less wore out in the back. When you take the floor up it a good time to insulate the bottom.

Sam
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Amerigo has a rather twisted history wih a number of owners including KOA and the Stewart Gardner family (also known for the Sunrader line of FGRV's).

Their biggest claim to fame was the patented "Snap & Nap" feature that was a swing out bed much like the current feature seen in sticky built trailers with a pop-out tent like bed arrangement.

The early 70's saw a surge of interest in lightweight trailers due, in part, to introduction of so many compact size american vehicles, and the then common thought that large American cars were doomed to the scrap pile.

I have seen Amerigo slide in campers dated back as far as the late 60's and sticky built Amerigo trailers well into the 90's. That said, I have not seen any FG-16's dated after 1975 (and only 1 claiming to be of the latter date).

BTW: Also add to the confusion in searching for Amerigo info:
The line of saddles, a sailing ship and a certain Italian that gave his name to several well known land masses.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

Tennessee
Morning Bob,
My Amerigo has build by KOA on the side. Does this give it a manufacturing year or years?
Thanks
Sam
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #14

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The Amerigo literature for the FG-16 has both KOA and gardner Industries thereupon.

Gardner Sr. passed away many years ago, but Gardner Jr. is still in the Bristol, IN area. However the family never responds to any questions about their adventures in the RV world that spanned about 50 years. Although Sr. is included in the RV Hall of Fame in Elkhart, his business practices weren't always seen as clean as they could have been. For example, after signing an agreement for a major safety recall in December of 1991, he put the involved company into BK a month later and walked away from all liability on about 5000 mini-motorhomes.

KOA might be able to respond about the time span for their involvement. Personally, I'd bet that the last production of thr FG-16 was in late 1974

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #15

Virginia
Thanks Everyone...You guys are great.

After I dig a little deeper into the bowels of the beast your $350 offer to "take it off my hands" may be more attractive. At this time, however, the ether has not worn off, and I still feel she may be worth the restoration effort. lol

Thanks, Bob, for the historical information. I agree that they all seem to have been built prior to '75. I'm sure the '80 on my bill of sale was just a guess.

I'll send updated photos as the restoration progresses.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
After I dig a little deeper into the bowels of the beast your $350 offer to "take it off my hands" may be more attractive..........
Look on the bright side that big ole snake mitigated the mouse damage.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
After I dig a little deeper into the bowels of the beast your $350 offer to "take it off my hands" may be more attractive.
If in the end you decide it isn't a good deal and choose to put it up for sale for $400.. making a $50 profit, stand back and see how many offers you get from members of FiberglassRV!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Good Morning Eddie,

Very nice trailer, you will have fun with it.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #19

Name: summer
Trailer: shopping!
Virginia
Hi Liason (Tom!) I sent a message to you from your craigslist (VA) post on this same trailer. Please let me know what still needs to be done to make this trailer road-worthy - and if you actually got the stove for it? Thanks!
summer s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:04 AM   #20

Name: Danny & Sheryl
Trailer: 1978 Amerigo 16 ft
Tennessee
3 day member and rv newbie

I want to remember you as a fav if i can figure how because i bought a 1978 amerigo 3 days ago and it is my first rv.i may need a new axle. I know i need brakes
Danny Bearden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo