An Old-Timer from Fort Worth - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Hunting for a FG Trailer
Texas
An Old-Timer from Fort Worth

Hello FiberglassRV. As you can see, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading many posts on this forum and other RV forums for a long time. I guess you could call this a learning journey interrupted for many months by the twists and turns of life.

We haven't traveled in a RV as such. I once lived in a 22' travel trailer for six (6) months. We car and tent camped for countless years and sailed a 23' Ranger sailboat for many years on the southern part of Lake Superior. So I have a bit of an idea about some aspects of RV travel.

Our RV interests have evolved during the countless months of RV research. (At this point, I can be certified as not in my right mind.) The process was anything but a straight line. Some days I was about ready to throw in the towel. (There is so much to learn and so little time.) As I type this, I am certain that we'd like a smaller Fiberglass trailer.

Btw, we are both retired, married for 44 years and live in Fort Worth, TX. In a day or so, I'd like to post a question or two about FG trailers. In the meantime, I'm going back to my research and a bit of day dreaming!

And that's it in a nutshell.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
If you want see one in person feel free to contact us.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:51 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Jim, ask away. BTW, the Ranger was a good boat.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:46 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
welcome to the Eggland cruise!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Your not far from Rice, go look at the Casitas. There nice folks.I bet if you ask they would take you on a plant tour.
Ron
Ron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:09 AM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxless View Post
Hello FiberglassRV. As you can see, this is my first post on this forum. I have been reading many posts on this forum and other RV forums for a long time. I guess you could call this a learning journey interrupted for many months by the twists and turns of life.

We haven't traveled in a RV as such. I once lived in a 22' travel trailer for six (6) months. We car and tent camped for countless years and sailed a 23' Ranger sailboat for many years on the southern part of Lake Superior. So I have a bit of an idea about some aspects of RV travel.

Our RV interests have evolved during the countless months of RV research. (At this point, I can be certified as not in my right mind.) The process was anything but a straight line. Some days I was about ready to throw in the towel. (There is so much to learn and so little time.) As I type this, I am certain that we'd like a smaller Fiberglass trailer.

Btw, we are both retired, married for 44 years and live in Fort Worth, TX. In a day or so, I'd like to post a question or two about FG trailers. In the meantime, I'm going back to my research and a bit of day dreaming!

And that's it in a nutshell.
I live in Richland Hills. If you have questions, ctc me.
vanvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Jim!

I hear you... the range of options in the RV world can be overwhelming. It might help to start with the kind of travel you plan to do... as in local weekend trips, longer cross-country tours, wintering in one spot, full-timing,... as well as an approximate budget range. If you are considering towables and are committed to using a vehicle you already own, that's another limiting factor.

Of course, here we are all about molded fiberglass trailers. They do have some unique advantages in terms of maintenance, durability, towability, and resale value, but they're not for everyone in every circumstance. Unlike large manufacturers of conventional RVs, molded fiberglass producers are smaller operations that typically sell factory-direct and do not frequent the RV show circuit. So it can be hard to get a look at some to see whether they will work for you.

You have already had a couple of local offers to view, and, as mentioned, the Casita factory is not far. Another way to see a greater variety of makes and models is to visit a fiberglass egg rally. There is a section of the forum devoted to rallies, and I believe there are several in Texas.

Best wishes in whatever you decide!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Hunting for a FG Trailer
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in TX View Post
Your not far from Rice, go look at the Casitas. There nice folks.I bet if you ask they would take you on a plant tour.
Ron
I didn't know they were so close to us. Dang Amigo ... this is good news and thank you for the advice. We're calling them Monday. Again, thank you.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
"Close" in Texas terms ... it's about 60-70 miles one way to the Casita Factory from Fort Worth!
Definitely go see them, but also consider seeing Casita owners' trailers and get their first hand knowledge of owning one and actually camping in one!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote