Another New Mexican - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #21

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Here's my biggest impulse purchase, a 1984 Scamp in very good shape, the first time I took it out camping to Maplewood State Park last October. That's my husband and Farley the Wonder Dog in the pic. The dog sleeps in the trailer with me, but unfortunately hubby has to sleep in the van on an air mattress. Sleep apnea/snoring bad enough to rattle walls, and he won't use the CPAP machine.
Looking forward to camping out this spring and summer. Got new tires. Now I need to figure out how to add a battery back into the system so I can run 12v lights. Going to eliminate one propane tank, and mount the battery next to the one left on the tongue. Was thinking about creating some kind of box/storage that would be held down with the other side of the dual-tank hold-down thingy. Box would have battery in the bottom (vented) and storage for cords and chocks on top. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
maplewood10-11.jpg  
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Maybe one of these trailer tongue boxes would work to hold both batteries plus the other stuff:
Tractor Supply - Search Results for trailer tongue box

or http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...atchallpartial

You would have to add the vent holes of course.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #23

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Why won't hubby use a CPAP? Uncomfortable mask? I've used my CPAP for 12 years and just last fall got a really comfortable mask. Getting the machine LITERALLY changed my life and my wife sleeps better, too. Wouldn't even consider not using it.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #24

Minnesota
Registry
rgrugg... He says he feel like he can't catch his breath with it. Go figure. He had another one 20 years ago and barely used it as well. The rest of us enjoyed the relatively peaceful nights. I think it could be the mask as well.

Adrian...
Attached is a pic of how the tongue looks now.

I would like to just eliminate one tank and put the battery on the steel plate that looks like it's a retrofit. Just avoiding having to take it to a welding shop. But if I want a metal frame to hold the battery, I'll probably have to take it there anyway.

I do have one of these...
http://www.lowes.com/pd_207123-230-3514_0__?productId=3024094&Ntt=suv&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl __0__s%3FNtt%3Dsuv&facetInfo=
but it won't fit as the space behind the tank is pretty narrow. Perhaps it would if I removed the steel plate and put the tank where it normally sits. Will have to measure it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
tanks-elec.jpg  
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #25

I misread your post, for some reason I was thinking you were removing the propane tank & not having propane, instead of just taking off one of two tanks. Can't come up with a solution now......maybe a regular battery box would fit in front of the tanks, hard to tell from the photo & how the crank handle of the tongue jack would be in the way or not of a box there. But this wouldn't give you the added storage.

If the 'Lowe's' box would fit where the tanks are & leave room in front for one tank, it would be a neat set up.

As for the CPAP machine, I have been using one for about 6 months now. You said, he feels like he can't catch his breath with it. At first I had a similar feeling as if I had to remember to breath, but I just kept at it & that feeling soon went away. Has he tried a Nose Pillow try mask?

After trying 2 masks, I got one which is some like one of these ResMed Swift Lt CPAP Nasal Pillow Mask with Headgear A Nose Pillow they are called, it really works well.

Maybe if he tried one of those he will get used to it easier. Much healthier for him if he would use it. Mind over matter, got to believe one can do anything to conquer it.

Good luck on both matters.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #26

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Hi all

Would love to post some picture but have tried & tried but no luck. I store my pictures in "MY PICTURES" and running Windows XP. Anyone care to give me a step by step.
I must be doing something wrong. HELP!!
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #27

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by npergakis View Post
I just purchased a 1986 Casita (16') and was wondering how many others on these forums are owners of 25+ years old fiberglass campers. In reading most of the posts, I see a lot of great advise that will help me but there are issues relating to the "antiques" that don't apply to newer trailers.

Nick
Hi Nick,
Sorry for taking your thread off-track back there.

The things I hear most about older trailers are tires, axles, and wheel bearings need to be checked, repaired, repacked or replaced. Maybe that's just because those seem to be the things I need to focus on in my Scamp. But I figure they're the most important because I have to be able to safely tow the trailer somewhere to go camping.

Then I would think taking care of leaks is next on the list. With these "oldies but goldies", just keeping on top of things so they don't get out of hand is good practice.

Take care,
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post

As for the CPAP machine, I have been using one for about 6 months now. You said, he feels like he can't catch his breath with it. At first I had a similar feeling as if I had to remember to breath, but I just kept at it & that feeling soon went away. Has he tried a Nose Pillow try mask?

After trying 2 masks, I got one which is some like one of these ResMed Swift Lt CPAP Nasal Pillow Mask with Headgear A Nose Pillow they are called, it really works well.

Maybe if he tried one of those he will get used to it easier. Much healthier for him if he would use it. Mind over matter, got to believe one can do anything to conquer it.

Good luck on both matters.
Lil M, The second masked I tried before the nose pillow was a ResMed, my nose pillow is a Opus Nasal Pillows Mask and Headgear - FP-HC482 from Fisher/Paykel same as my CPAP machine.

A little more simple design than the others I posted first:
https://www.bestcpapprice.com/Fisher...ign_p_236.html