Another new person - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Most modern vehicles do have a small transmission fluid cooling loop within the radiator. What I am suggesting is an auxiliary ATF (automatic transmission fluid) cooler mounted in front of the radiator. I'm not a mechanic, so I will merely suggest discussing it with a trusted independent mechanic, not a dealer.

I say all this from experience. We started out towing our 13' Scamp with a 2000 Toyota Sienna. It did not have a factory tow package (which included an auxiliary ATF cooler, larger radiator, and larger alternator). Without the tow package it was rated to tow 2000 pounds. Our Scamp weighs about 1700 pounds loaded. I discussed adding an ATF cooler with the dealer, and he said I didn't need it, since the trailer was less than 2000 pounds.

We overheated the transmission on a long grade against a headwind on our very first trip. We spent a tense 45 minutes on the side of a busy interstate in triple digit temperatures, not knowing if we would ever move again under our own power, waiting for things to cool down. Fortunately, as we later learned, electronic sensors detected the overheating condition and sent the vehicle into limp mode before catastrophic damage occurred. We were able to proceed gingerly over the pass and made it to our destination without further incident, but it's not an experience I would want to repeat.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Snoozy on Order
Virginia
Snoozy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Welcome aboard Meg! I lurked for 12 years on the RVTravel.com boards and changed my mind many times, Although original plans were to get something about 1000 lbs I could tow with my 2006 Saturn, when I fell in love with LilSnoozy I was ready, willing and able to get a new to us tow vehicle. Weight is 2400 lbs unloaded and the Carship Enterprise can pull up to 7500 should we desire to go big later! our 4 cats travel with us. Enjoy researching!
Mitzi,i did you get a Snoozy? We ordered ours last week It's going to be awhile. How do you like yours?