Another new person - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Name: Meg
Trailer: In the Market
Missouri
Another new person

Hi. I found this forum while searching for small camper trailers that don't weigh a lot.

I have a 2010 ford escape v4 that's only supposed to tow 1500 lbs so looking at options. I really like the idea of a little trailer anyway because I'm not great at driving really big vehicles, so just exploring my options right now.

At the moment I like the scamp 13 but will probably change my mind by tomorrow. Just in the planning and saving stages. I thought about saving for a vacation place, but honestly I like to go different places so thought a mini rv might be just the thing - since I like kayaking, hiking, the outdoors - but I also like comfort!

Also looking for something i can camp with my dog in. For safety reasons I like the idea of something other than a tent.

Meg

Old 09-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #2

Name: Iris
Trailer: Scamp
California
13' scamp

I love my 13' Scamp. Haul with my Subaru. It has become my retirement home. I have downsized, travel to warm weather , and live alone safely with my dog. Good fortune to you. If this is a fit for you too you will love it!!!

Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I can tell you are a camper at heart!
Old 09-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #4

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Welcome aboard Meg! I lurked for 12 years on the RVTravel.com boards and changed my mind many times, Although original plans were to get something about 1000 lbs I could tow with my 2006 Saturn, when I fell in love with LilSnoozy I was ready, willing and able to get a new to us tow vehicle. Weight is 2400 lbs unloaded and the Carship Enterprise can pull up to 7500 should we desire to go big later! our 4 cats travel with us. Enjoy researching!
Old 09-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: Lil Snoozy - 2017
South Carolina
Hi Meg! We had shopped for a small Scamp for a couple of years. Every time we found a used one which was never close by, it was already sold by the time the seller responded back. We bought a T@B which is basically the same size as the Scamp but we eventually decided it wasn't for us. We sold it and just like Mitzi stated above, we too fell in love with the LiL Snoozy. You just need to figure out what will suit your needs. As others have suggested on this forum, go to some rallies and I'm sure you'll be given tours!!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

Missouri
Thanks

Thank you all for the welcomes. This looks like a very helpful forum/group
Old 09-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #7

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Like !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergen View Post
Thank you all for the welcomes. This looks like a very helpful forum/group

I wish there were a " LIKE " button on the fbRv site. I would hit a lot of "Likes" and almost never a " Delete ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
Old 09-04-2017, 12:03 AM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There's a lot to be said about small lightweight trailers. My wife and I have 13' standard without bathroom or A/C or water heater. We've had it for almost 12 years. It's served us well. We camp quite a bit. Since we're both retired we take of for AZ, Death Valley,CA, NM and camp for 3+ months. We also go off for few summer trips anywhere from 4 to 14 days at a time.
There's lot of small trailer options out there.
The advantage of the molded fiberglass type is there's no seams to leak and they hold up well. As with anything there is maintenance that needs to be done. It's generally pretty easy and small stuff.
One problem with the used market is they hold their value well, but buying used you don't really know what you're getting. What kind of stuff has been done to it. And you get what ever options the previous owners wanted not necessarily what you want.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #9

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There's a lot to be said about small lightweight trailers. My wife and I have 13' standard without bathroom or A/C or water heater. We've had it for almost 12 years. It's served us well. We camp quite a bit. Since we're both retired we take of for AZ, Death Valley,CA, NM and camp for 3+ months.
I'm curious how do you get along without ac in places like that, but maybe they aren't that hot year round?
Old 09-04-2017, 07:01 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbergen View Post
...maybe they aren't that hot year round?
Exactly. We even crank up the furnace occasionally when winter camping in the Sonoran desert.

We live in the mountains of eastern AZ, and our camper does not have A/C. We can find a temperate place to camp within a half days' drive any month of the year. It's all about elevation and humidity (or lack of it).
Old 09-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Thinking Outside the Egg

Meg, a vehicle with a trailer, even a small vehicle and a small trailer, is still a fairly long rig- around 25-30' combined. It means some fairly big changes in your driving style- slower pace, changing lanes in traffic, finding a place to park,... Of course it's nothing like giant fifth wheels and motorhomes with toads, but it's still a big adjustment from driving solo. If you already have a hitch, try renting a small box trailer from U-Haul for a day- it's not too expensive- and drive around. Take someone with you who has some experience as a coach. Practice backing in an empty parking lot. Take it to Walmart or the grocery store. Try it out on a multi-lane interstate. Then you'll know if towing is right for you.

I am also concerned a 13' egg is marginal for your vehicle. To stay under 1500 pounds it will have to be very basic and lightly packed (including the vehicle). It will exceed Ford's frontal area restriction for this vehicle. You'll need trailer brakes and probably a transmission cooler (assuming you have an automatic). You'll have to take it slow on grades.

Thinking "outside the egg," have you also considered a small cargo van with a simple DIY RV conversion? How about replacing your Escape with a Ford Transit Connect or similar? Something along those lines might just be the ultimate light-on-your feet travel/camping rig for one person. I camped in a van when I was single and loved it. Small vans make great daily drivers with no parking/storage issues. You might even be able to carry your kayak inside. I believe a Transit Connect (with the right engine and equipment) can tow 2000 pounds, so you could still add a trailer behind the van later and be 500 pounds better off.

Not trying to discourage you from going the egg trailer route now- we love ours!- but it's good to consider all options.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #12

Missouri
Trailer

Jon, I've actually been thinking the same thing about my car - that maybe I'd be pushing it with the weight. The dilemma is, I really do like my car. I was thinking about getting a used smaller truck as a second vehicle. I do a lot of landscape work in my yard and it would be handy to haul thing like mulch. It probably is silly to have two vehicles though - and i have a work car, so that's really three.

I work for a landscape company which has lots of trailers & I'm sure I could borrow one to practice - one of my co-workers mentioned a utility trailer we had that I could practice on in our lot.

I also like the idea of the van - if I did need mulch or something I could always borrow a truck from work. My co-worker kept reminding me you know you'd need to back up. (I'm not great at backing up - but thought I could get better with practice) I was also looking at some of the teardrop trailers available, and at the Little Joe- they have the normal one and a half size one.

I'm a cautious driver in any case so I'd be even more cautious with a trailer.

I appreciate the info.

Meg
Old 09-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
If you have a vehicle with a hitch, a small utility trailer does just as well or better for hauling in mulch and hauling out green waste than a pick-up truck, and no extra insurance and drivetrain maintenance.

Since you really like your Escape, then add the transmission cooler and think small and lightweight. The Little Joe is a great choice but hard to find. A vintage Hunter Compact Jr. is another good option. It's narrower, shorter (thanks to the pop-top roof), and lighter than a Scamp 13. Both have a rear door, which might make it possible to carry a short kayak inside.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunter Compact Jr.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	111175
Old 09-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #14

Missouri
I have a 2" trailer hitch already - that I use for my bike rack & kayak loader (not at the same time though). My understanding from what I am reading is the transmission cooler is standard now. The only thing I don't have set up yet is the wiring for the trailer lights, but I figured I could add those. I'll look into the hunter compact jr. as well. I'm also looking at some pages where they converted their ford escapes into campers - nothing too fancy but you can lay the seats flat and put a bed & a few other things in there, and get a tent for additional space. Might be an option while I save for something nicer.