Another new Scamp owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Another new Scamp owner

Hi all,

Glad to see my registering worked because I'm now the proud owner of a 13', 2008 front bathroom Scamp.

I've been lurking the last couple of months and was amazed at the depth of information on this site.

I'm in North Vancouver, BC and I had looked at some local Trilliums, Bolers and Scamps rangeing from fairly new to ugh! But then I became aware of the front bathroom option and decided that was a feature we wanted. I hadn't seen any locally but found one in Portland, Oregon. It was fully equipped and the price was right so on Sunday it was up before dawn, hit the border before the cross border Sunday shoppers made long line-ups, arrive in Portland at 2:00, look at trailer, buy, hookup and hit the road by 4:00 and get back to Vancouver at 1:00 am.

My Mazda B2300 is kind of guttless and in the past hasn't done all that well on road trips with a high canopy and towing a m/c. I was delighted with the way it towed the Scamp. I was making plans to buy something with a little more power but the Mazda did so well it'll probably live to do more road trips.

The trailer is loaded with options. The only one it doesn't have is brakes. Even though that doesn't seem to be an issue I like the idea of having brakes for those rare cases when you have to make a panic stop.

So I'm happy that I have access to this site and thrilled to have the Scamp at home. Can't wait for Spring weather and the open road.

Ron in BC
Attached Thumbnails
P1000629.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ron, welcome to FiberglassRV! Looks like a very nice trailer and now you're ready to make a ton of new camping memories.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Ron, Welcome! I'm envious of the bath option, what a great find. Hope to see you and the unit an egg meet sometime. More pics might ties us over until then. (yes, I'm becoming a FGRV photo junkie)

Mark
(from Downtown Vancouver)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, looks great. That was quite the whirlwind trip but obviously well worth it.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Hi all,

Glad to see my registering worked because I'm now the proud owner of a 13', 2008 front bathroom Scamp.

I've been lurking the last couple of months and was amazed at the depth of information on this site.

I'm in North Vancouver, BC and I had looked at some local Trilliums, Bolers and Scamps rangeing from fairly new to ugh! But then I became aware of the front bathroom option and decided that was a feature we wanted. I hadn't seen any locally but found one in Portland, Oregon. It was fully equipped and the price was right so on Sunday it was up before dawn, hit the border before the cross border Sunday shoppers made long line-ups, arrive in Portland at 2:00, look at trailer, buy, hookup and hit the road by 4:00 and get back to Vancouver at 1:00 am.

My Mazda B2300 is kind of guttless and in the past hasn't done all that well on road trips with a high canopy and towing a m/c. I was delighted with the way it towed the Scamp. I was making plans to buy something with a little more power but the Mazda did so well it'll probably live to do more road trips.

The trailer is loaded with options. The only one it doesn't have is brakes. Even though that doesn't seem to be an issue I like the idea of having brakes for those rare cases when you have to make a panic stop.

So I'm happy that I have access to this site and thrilled to have the Scamp at home. Can't wait for Spring weather and the open road.

Ron in BC
You have one of the first front bath Standard Scamp 13s ever made. They started making them in the spring of 2008 if I recall correctly.
Check to see the location of the shower sump pump. Then contact me if you choose to discuss protecting the pump, filter and trap from impact damage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #6

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
From one new scamp owner to another, welcome!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  17.7 KB
Have fun with your NEW home.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Attachment 41518
Have fun with your NEW home.
Thanks for the welcoming comments. Floyd, I'd already read the posts explaining the pump situation and your solution. So I was forwarned and didn't recoil in horror at seeing the unprotected pump hanging down just waiting to get wacked by a rock Putting a guard on it will be a priority.

I've got the trailer inspected, part of the process for importing a vehicle, and it was quick and simple, no problems While waiting for the inspection another person with a tear drop shape trailer was there. I almost fell over when he said they'd driven down to Portland and bought it and driven back the same day. Don't what it is about Portland, two years ago I bought my wife's Miata in Portland. Don't know why all the good deals seem to be there but in both cases we were able find an item with specific features that wasn't available in Canada.

I'd started this process off expecting to buy a junker and rehab it. So when I bought an almost new trailer I thought that I wouldn't have anything to do. However I do see some things that I'd like to change or improve.

First blush impression of things I'll work on, not in order of priority:
1. LED lights
2. tongue cover
3. pump protection
4. battery master switch and volt meter
5. make new dinette table, outer half to fold back on top of wall mounted section. Allows for sitting down without having to slide by table edge.
6. install brakes
7. interior mirror, hooks and paper towel holder.

Waded through all the manuals, drained the water heater, and will get started on my list, hopefully completing everthing by Spring.

Ron
Old 11-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Thanks for the welcoming comments. Floyd, I'd already read the posts explaining the pump situation and your solution. So I was forwarned and didn't recoil in horror at seeing the unprotected pump hanging down just waiting to get wacked by a rock Putting a guard on it will be a priority.

I've got the trailer inspected, part of the process for importing a vehicle, and it was quick and simple, no problems While waiting for the inspection another person with a tear drop shape trailer was there. I almost fell over when he said they'd driven down to Portland and bought it and driven back the same day. Don't what it is about Portland, two years ago I bought my wife's Miata in Portland. Don't know why all the good deals seem to be there but in both cases we were able find an item with specific features that wasn't available in Canada.

I'd started this process off expecting to buy a junker and rehab it. So when I bought an almost new trailer I thought that I wouldn't have anything to do. However I do see some things that I'd like to change or improve.

First blush impression of things I'll work on, not in order of priority:
1. LED lights
2. tongue cover
3. pump protection
4. battery master switch and volt meter
5. make new dinette table, outer half to fold back on top of wall mounted section. Allows for sitting down without having to slide by table edge.
6. install brakes
7. interior mirror, hooks and paper towel holder.

Waded through all the manuals, drained the water heater, and will get started on my list, hopefully completing everthing by Spring.

Ron
Here's an idea which you might consider. It is simple and cheap and you may not think it is necessary until you need it.
It is a simple L.E.D. attached to the sump switch. It will warn you that you have left the pump on should you forget.

In the photo it is above and to the left of the microwave....
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 009.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Congratulations on your new camper! Let the mods begin!

I think the brakes are a very good idea and you will like having them.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
¡Hola! from Las Cruces, New Mexico. Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on the very nice rig.

We also have a Scamp:
2005 16' Scamp Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab, Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I know Im late on this welcome but I was on the road when you joined us.
Very happy to see that my Scamp finally has company in North Vancouver - as you know Scamps are few and far between in BC - as far as I know you have #2 on the North Shore.

Come out and join our Glass Egg Meet next summer - its out in Mission. Also feel free to PM me if you need to take a look at another scamp to see how issues have been dealt with.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #13

British Columbia
Thanks for the links and info. Yes, we're already planning to attend the meet next summer.

Didn't know that there was another Scamp on the North Shore. We'll have to compare notes on what mods that we've done or are doing.

Merry Christmas

Ron
Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup have had it for 5 great years and thousands of miles of camping trips. PM me if you wish.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp