Another "What Have I Done Now" - Boler 13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Casita Patriot 17'
California
Another "What Have I Done Now" - Boler 13

Hi,

New to the group and I will have a ton of questions as I just picked up a Boler that needs a lot. All it came with was the Refer, Heater, and Stove (I don't think the stove is original) and one bird nest. The first thing I will need is a new roof vent

Obviously I was looking for a "project".

This is the first camper I've owned, and after perusing various web sites and these forums I notice that roof vents seem to come in a standaed 14"x14" size, but the Boler is a little smaller than that, roughly 11"x11" or so. Are there direct replacements or do I need to cut a larger hole?

Also, in all likelihood, I will at least need to replace the axle, one side sits a good 1.5" lower than the other side, and the frame is good, but "not that good" (the shell, floor included, looks in pretty decent shape). I'm curious, after reading some axle replacement threads as well as frame replacement threads about whether I'm just better off starting from scratch with a new lighter frame, and axle, and whether I'm better off with torsion or leaf spring suspension? What are the advantages of torsion bar over leaf springs?

Finally, the last of the initial questions... where in the heck is the "VIN" number located? (I don't even know what year this is, neither did the seller who used this only on his farm for many years as a guest cabin - no reg/title, just bill of sale - but the previous-previous owner's plate is still on it, so maybe that will help)

John C.
Ridgecrest, CA
JCusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCusick View Post
Hi,

New to the group and I will have a ton of questions as I just picked up a Boler that needs a lot. All it came with was the Refer, Heater, and Stove (I don't think the stove is original) and one bird nest. The first thing I will need is a new roof vent

Obviously I was looking for a "project".

This is the first camper I've owned, and after perusing various web sites and these forums I notice that roof vents seem to come in a standaed 14"x14" size, but the Boler is a little smaller than that, roughly 11"x11" or so. Are there direct replacements or do I need to cut a larger hole?

Also, in all likelihood, I will at least need to replace the axle, one side sits a good 1.5" lower than the other side, and the frame is good, but "not that good" (the shell, floor included, looks in pretty decent shape). I'm curious, after reading some axle replacement threads as well as frame replacement threads about whether I'm just better off starting from scratch with a new lighter frame, and axle, and whether I'm better off with torsion or leaf spring suspension? What are the advantages of torsion bar over leaf springs?

Finally, the last of the initial questions... where in the heck is the "VIN" number located? (I don't even know what year this is, neither did the seller who used this only on his farm for many years as a guest cabin - no reg/title, just bill of sale - but the previous-previous owner's plate is still on it, so maybe that will help)

John C.
Ridgecrest, CA
Before you go and spend any money on fixing anything you should get the title work straightened out. No sense putting a bunch of money in a yard ornament.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation This link should be required reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Before you go and spend any money on fixing anything you should get the title work straightened out. No sense putting a bunch of money in a yard ornament.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lem-45840.html
Old 05-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Registry
Question

Quote:
1) I notice that roof vents seem to come in a standaed 14"x14" size, but the Boler is a little smaller than that, roughly 11"x11" or so. Are there direct replacements or do I need to cut a larger hole?

2) ...whether I'm just better off starting from scratch with a new lighter frame, and axle, and whether I'm better off with torsion or leaf spring suspension? What are the advantages of torsion bar over leaf springs?

3) Finally, the last of the initial questions... where in the heck is the "VIN" number located?

John C.
Ridgecrest, CA
1) I believe you need to cut a larger hole.

2) Leaf springs are HARSH! Especially on a light weight trailer. Adding Shock Absorbers to leaf springs will dampen the bouncing somewhat, but there was a comparison study done by Al-Ko, a suspension manufacturer, that showed Torsion axles to have a smoother ride than Leaf Springs with Shock Absorbers. There are some who have added Shocks to their torsion axles for a Really Really smooth ride.

3) Where the heck are you, and more importantly the Trailer located?
Your Avatar says New York, but your signature says California. That may have significant bearing on whether your quest is possible.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Get a Legal Title LEGALLY: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
From: CALIFORNIA DMV WEBSITE:Register a Vehicle For Which DMV Has No Records Checklist

BEGIN QUOTE:"Register a Vehicle For Which DMV Has No Records Checklist

The requirements for registering a vehicle that has not been registered within the four-year file record of the Department of Motor Vehicles are:

A California Certificate of Title (Pink Slip), if available or

A Completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343).

The expired California Registration Card, if available and an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227), or

A copy of an expired California Registration Card for the vehicle and a Statement of Facts (REG 256) completed by the applicant stating how, when, and from whom the vehicle was acquired, what effort was made to contact the last owner to obtain evidence of ownership and why it was unobtainable, and the current value of the vehicle.

A Certificate of Non-Operation (REG 102).

An Odometer Disclosure Statement (REG 262).

A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee. Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification.

A weight certificate from a California Certified Public Weighmaster, if it is a commercial vehicle weighing less than 10,001 pounds unladen. If the vehicle is operated over 10,000 pounds GVW or is a PTI trailer, the estimated weight may be shown on a Statement of Facts (REG 256).

A Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight/Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (REG 4008) for a commercial vehicle over 6,001 pounds unladen, except pickups.

A Smog certification, is required for all 1976 year model and newer vehicles except diesel-powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs.

Any license plates on the vehicle.

Registration fees"END QUOTE
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

California
Smile

Greg H,

Of course I won't start anything major until the title issue is straightened out, just the small cheap stuff, cleaning up, etc. I'm getting a little desperate for something to do besides hunkering down in swamp-cooler cooled rooms...

Fred,

Although presently in the Mojave, I still believe that I'm from NY, despite where the state of CA legally says I live (I rent in Ridgecrest and own a home in the Finger Lakes Region of NY - I'm here on a contract job for "who knows how long", hopefully not too long. I much prefer water, trees and grass which are somewhat lacking here, to put it mildly).

(Also, as an aside, despite what everyone told me in the past, CA is a far more expensive place to live than Upstate NY, taxes included, even in a small town like Ridgecrest... I'm almost looking forward to the inevitable lay-off)

I've been through title issues in NY (both car and motorcycle at different times) and I'm hoping it will not be too much more of a big deal here in CA. I did see the post on the "Big Title Problem" and I'm just hoping that the benefit of her experience will shave down the time for my experience.

Worse case scenario, I can always part some of the stuff out and get some of my money back, I suppose :-( but I would much rather use this to discover grass, trees, and water and temps under 100F around here on the occasional weekend. Bottom line, I'm hoping it was worth the risk.

If it works out as far as the title is concerned, then the time waiting for the paperwork to complete will be well spent on the refurb project, since there really is not much else to do around here.

Thanks for the info on the vent size, too bad, it would be nice to just replace it with an original fit unit.

I thought more about the leaf spring issue and realized that shackle length would probably be too big an issue to deal with anyway :-)

Anyway, thanks for all the replies, especially the Title Requirements, I'm looking forward to this working out. Maybe, with luck, a solid positive attitude will help

JC
Old 05-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, John

Probably the best thing we all learned from poor Cyndi's experience is that title problems are much more easily solved in the State of Origin of the transaction. It sounds like you've got the info/paperwork/etc. to make it happen fairly easily. Nice that the plates are still on the trailer! Even if you don't stay out West, transferring title back in N.Y. will be a snap with correct papers from California.
Here's one more heads-up, specific to your situation:
You may or may not be aware that California has a Permanent Registration Program, originally designed for semi trailers, but strangely expanded to include "Camp Trailers under 16 ft." As I understand it, once the registration is issued you only have to pay $10.00 every five years- forever! (fee schedule at Vehicle Registration and Vessel Fees)
I'm pretty sure your trailer qualifies for this designation. It sounds like you're (at least for the moment) a California resident and qualify from that standpoint, too
Here's a bit from the DMV website re. this special registration:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_...trailer_id.pdf
BEGIN QUOTE:
PERMANENT TRAILER IDENTIFICATION (PTI) Page 14–3
VEHICLE INDUSTRY REGISTRATION PROCEDURES DECEMBER 2009
14.005 Trailer Definitions, continued
A camp trailer is a vehicle other than a motor vehicle:
• designed to be towed on the highway,
• capable of human habitation for camping or recreational purposes,
• that does not exceed 16 feet in overall length from the foremost point of the trailer hitch to the rear extremity of the trailer body and 96 inches in width. END QUOTE

Best of luck to you,

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, John

Probably the best thing we all learned from poor Cyndi's experience is that title problems are much more easily solved in the State of Origin of the transaction. It sounds like you've got the info/paperwork/etc. to make it happen fairly easily. Nice that the plates are still on the trailer! Even if you don't stay out West, transferring title back in N.Y. will be a snap with correct papers from California.
Best of luck to you,

Francesca
Thanks for the good info, Francesca. Hopefully it will work out well and as planned. I spent at least 2 or 3 hours on this site last week and again today. This is an excellent resource!

I'm looking forward to participating, and hopefully contributing something useful.

Regards to All

JC
Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #9

Registry
Cool I'm in a New York State of Mind...

Quote:
Although presently in the Mojave, I still believe that I'm from NY, despite where the state of CA legally says I live (I rent in Ridgecrest and own a home in the Finger Lakes Region of NY - I'm here on a contract job for "who knows how long", hopefully not too long. I much prefer water, trees and grass which are somewhat lacking here, to put it mildly).

(Also, as an aside, despite what everyone told me in the past, CA is a far more expensive place to live than Upstate NY, taxes included, even in a small town like Ridgecrest... I'm almost looking forward to the inevitable lay-off)
I'm originally from Oneida, New York and have a brother who still lives there; I agree with you. However, I've been away for 36 years.
After that long in Southern California I doubt I could handle winter...

Tags
boler