Any Scamps in NC??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Any Scamps in NC???

I'm new to owning a 13' Scamp! I'm looking for others in NC and possibly someone that can update mine! I'm not the fixer upper but would love to get in contact with someone to update mine
Anyone out there???
Locklear in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bonnie, welcome to FiberglassRV. Specifically what are you looking for to "update" your Scamp? We have lots of helpful people here. I'm not a fixer upper either, but you may surprise yourself in the things you CAN do. I'm a remove and replace kinda person. Take this tail light off, put this tail light on. That type of thing. Doing some of your own work, really adds to the pride in ownership.... and keeps funds in your pocket!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #3

North Carolina
Thanks Donna! My 77 model is in really good shape.. I would like to have an air conditioner installed on the top, and the windows on the sides/rear need to be resealed... So electrically all that will need to be checked when the AC is installed... it's hot here in NC!!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Okay, that helps Bonnie... now the bad news. It's VERY doubtful your 1977 Scamp was built to hold the weight of a roof top A/C. Prior to the big Scamp plant fire in January 2006, trailers had to be ordered to support the weight. If it wasn't... and probably wasn't, you can't put roof air on top or it will bring the roof down! You can retro fit, by adding braces (either on the outside or interior) that go from the floor across the ceil and to the other side (if done on the interior). Most don't want to go to that extreme unless removing everything from the inside.

Your best bet would be a removable window A/C or an A/C in the closet vented to the outside... or.... all have been accomplished successfully by owners.

Pulling and resealing windows is easy. Just takes time, a little $$ and once you do it, you'll wonder why you wanted to pay someone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #5

North Carolina
Thanks Donna for the update on the A/C! I'll let you know what we decide The inside would be good either in the closet or underneath the stove since there's no fridge... we'll see
Old 10-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locklear in NC View Post
Thanks Donna for the update on the A/C! I'll let you know what we decide The inside would be good either in the closet or underneath the stove since there's no fridge... we'll see
Not familiar with the configuration of your Scamp 13 but another potential location is the center compartment of the front couch (if you have one).

As many have done, it's possible to vent thru the floor and not have to cut thru the fiberglass.

I have added in AC in our closet on our Scamp 16. It does work well and wasn't too difficult.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #7

Name: evertt
Trailer: LILSNOOZY
Pennsylvania
foliage tour, music fest, cherokee, nc oct 13 -16, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locklear in NC View Post
I'm new to owning a 13' Scamp! I'm looking for others in NC and possibly someone that can update mine! I'm not the fixer upper but would love to get in contact with someone to update mine
Anyone out there???
there are gonna be lots of Scamps and other FGRV';s at forthcoming gathering of Scamps (and other FGRV;s) at dates indicated in "title"E.t.Dunlap 215 884 2420
dunlapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

North Carolina
Thanks for the update on the Cherokee gathering! Don't think I'll make it.. lots going on with moving a house around the same time! I'll get to one soon
Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Name: evertt
Trailer: LILSNOOZY
Pennsylvania
2011 (new, one year fact. warranty till July 2012) scamp for sale at Mt. Top RV and Marine Sales, Lexinton, SC... reduce for quick sale, $9,000.00 please contact MT TOP RV AND MARINE SALES, LEXINTON, SC./
dunlapet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp