Anyone tow with a Sienna van? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I don't know anything about the Sienna but our Odyssey is similar sized in engine and weight. For towing the addition of a transmission cooler is required so we ordered ours with a transmission cooler.

Surprisingly to us the separate transmission cooler is as large as the radiator and located in front of the radiator. Keeping the transmission fluid at the correct temperature is critical to transmission life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Tonie.... Ours wasn't this bad but it gives you an idea what to look for. I could see a scaly, damp looking red crud at the edge of the rad at one spot. If the engine gets hot you may see some steam coming from around the hood and there will be a sweet smell of the hot antifreeze in the air.

These days most rads are built to last. Our last two Nissan Quests were 17 years old and still had the original rads.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
Odysseys have very large Aux rads because they had transmission issues in the past.

I own a '06 Highlander. Same engine/transmission of the same vintage Sienna (3.3l).
It has the tow package from the factory. It has the ATF line in the rad just like about any other vehicle, and the tow package adds a smaller AUX transmission cooler. I don't think the main radiator is any different. Same alternator, suspension, etc. The tow package also includes a full size spare tire.
Having said this, not sure how much of this applies to the Sienna, but since it shares a lot of mechanical components with the Highlander it is certainly worth checking accurately. An AUX cooler (factory or aftermarket) is a must in my opinion, just the ATF line in the rad is not enough.

I'm in the market for a FG trailer in the 17-18ft size, and I'm confident my Highlander will pull it just fine.

One thing you may want to check with the Sienna is the very low clearance below the hitch. On other forums many had occasional scraping issues going over bumps. A weight distributing hitch will certainly help, since the rear suspension is rather soft. My camping trailer has a 250-275lbs tongue weight and I use a Reese Mini 350 WD hitch with my Highlander, I wouldn't tow without it.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #18

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Towing with a Sienna

We used to pull our Scamp 16 ft deluxe with a Honda Oddesy. In fact three different ones.
The trailer weight is about 2800 lb and hitch wt about 250 lb
Because the hitch on the van is too low, you need a high rise drawbar.
In order to keep the total weight as low as possible, we had a class II hitch, with the 1.5 inch square receiver. Made sure to have the hitch ball as close as possible to the rear bumper. We did add a sway bar but no WDH.
Make sure there is little to no play in the hook up.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWelch View Post
Hi, all, from northern Alabama. I have found so much wonderful information on this site! I’ve read and read and read, as I want a little fiberglass trailer.

I want a little trailer basically to get me and my dog to dog events. I would also love to take it to great places sightseeing and relaxing, as well, but don’t foresee going “off-road” really....

My question is: does anyone here pull your trailer with an ‘06 Sienna (Toyota) van? I don’t want to buy a new vehicle, as I love this van. I’ve read so much here about “true” pulling weights, that I wonder about the max weight I should really view as OK. I think the "official" weight is 3500 lbs., but I have learned from reading all the great info here that the weight needs to be distributed, and that some "official" weights may include hidden challenges.

Thanks for all the help!
We tow with a Corolla it works well 2010 larger style

Purchased car with full tow package
- Hitch installed
-Trailer brakes 7 pin wiring
- HD cooling system
- Extra safety systems
we added:
- Progressive Transaxle cooler Mr. Transmission dealer recommended this done and so we did.

upgraded:
- Custom frame Hitch from Can Am RV in London class 3
- WD system and sway bar
- Wiring module Toyota unit over heated added better unit with dedicated power wire (heavy duty) better for batter charging. Still have the factory replacement but will not use it.
- May add bigger alternator
Old 02-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #20

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2016 Honda Odyssey
Alabama
Norm and Ginny, Wayne (MC1), Carl, Wayne Collins, and Borden,
Thank you all so very much for the great information! I will be reading it all and digesting it, and checking my van out… I appreciate the photo, too - great visual of what to look for.
I can't tell you (and those who replied yesterday) how appreciative I am!
Tonie
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM   #21

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
I towed our EggCamper 17' with a 2002 Sienna, then later with a 2011 Sienna. The 2002 had the 3.3L engine, the 2011 had a 3.5L engine. They both did fine, even through NH mountains. The advertised weight of the EggCamper was just over 2000#. I added transmission coolers to both vans and had to add air-lifts to the 2011. Although I never weighed it, my mods to the egg probably added a couple hundred pounds to the dry weight. The 2011 Sienna had less ground clearance than the earlier 2002 Sienna.

Heads-up - I'm not sure about the 2006, but when I added the transmission cooler to the 2011, I learned that the transmission was a sealed unit and I had to return to the dealer to top off the fluid after the after-market cooler was installed. That trip cost about $100 for 1.5 pints of world-class transmission fluid. But even though, I wouldn't tow without a transmission cooler. Transmissions are much more expensive.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #22
MC1

Ontario
That is interesting about the 06 tranny being sealed. Our 04 is not.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
Fluid is added through the disptick tube, just like on my Highlander (same transmission).
Old 02-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #24

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
I tow my Boler 13' with a 2011 Sienna. I was looking for a bigger trailer at one point and was told I needed the towing package. According to the manual the tow weigh for the Sienna is 1500 lbs and 3500 lbs with the towing package and class 2 hitch with electric brakes etc. So, went to the local toyota dealer and was informed that mine had the tow package. As the Boler 13' is less than 1500 lb, electric brakes are not required nor is the class 2 hitch. But If you have no hitch, go right to the class 2 right away. I barely even know I am towing a small Boler with this van. I'd recomend it highly as a small trailer Tow vehicle.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #25

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Wayne,
It was the 2011 that had the sealed transmission. I don't know what they did in 2006. Also, with the sealed transmission, there is no dipstick. It's completely sealed and as near as I can tell the dealer topped it off at the transmission.

Tim,
Incidentally, I ordered the 2011 with the tow package, which was a joke. It consisted of an engine oil cooler. That's it; there is no hitch receiver, no hitch wiring, and no wiring for a brake controller. Which is probably why you didn't realize that yours had a tow package. From all outward (and some inward) appearances, you can't tell if there is a tow package.

But the van was nice.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #26
MC1

Ontario
Funny thing about these sealed or restricted trannys these days.

Our 03 Infiniti came with a tranny dip stick tube but just had a cap screwed to the top of it. No dipstick

Got on the Infiniti forum and the boys there listed a part number for the dip stick so drove down to the dealer and bought one for $10. bucks. All is well.

BTW.... our G35 has no tow pkg. The tow pro's who set up the car added a tranny cooler, brake controller, HD 2" receiver/platform, and wiring.
Works good.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #27

Name: Toinette
Trailer: 2011 Egg Camper #101, the Abel Egg, pulled by 2016 Honda Odyssey
Alabama
Ron, thanks for the heads-up, and everyone who contributed to the discussion regarding the transmissions and coolers, and towing packages (of all sorts!). I appreciate it very much! It is so encouraging to know that whatever question I may have, there is someone here with experience who either knows the right answer or will point me in the right direction to get the answer!
Thanks again, everyone.
Tonie
Old 02-20-2015, 11:31 AM   #28

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
When I bought mine it was used with a class 1 hitch with wiring. Seems odd to install a class 1 when a class 2 would have been better. I love my van and when the time arises and a larger trailer is in the works, I'll get the new hitch, wiring and electric brake controller installed. Estimate for that was about $600-700. I'll stick with my baby Boler. Love it for its size and towability.