Axle info on 79 Biggar - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Name: Damien
Trailer: Biggar
Manitoba
Axle info on 79 Biggar

Hey guys I've been a member since 2011, but never have written on here before. First of all big thank you goes out to Clayton and whom ever else was involved for posting all those mauals for appliances, etc.. When trying to find originals of anything when its something old can take a lot of time and now its made simple on here.

Anyways I just did some upgrades on my Biggar, new LED lighting on outside and inside, 5 inch lift on axles, replaced all propane lines, re-ran electric brake lines on the inside of trailer instead, changed over some plumbing to pex line, fixed tank leak on grey water tank, new toilet, hitch end, Maxx air fan, and hot h2o tank to a electric switch tank.

I couldn't be anymore happy taking this thing to work and living in it for awhile its a cool retro trailer.

I'm going to post my receipt on all new drum/hub assembly kit upgrade. The kit is a Dexter Axle kit from piston ring. This will include backplate, wheel bearings, springs, drums, magnets. My original axles still had the manufactures plate sticker on them and they were a Rub-a-Ryde axle rated at 1800lbs per axle. I hope this information will help other users if they to do any upgrades on there wheels or axles.

If you guys have any questions on any of the stuff I did feel free to ask I found out a lot of ideas when doing all this work.
biggar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Manitoba
My Ride

1979 Biggar 19ft before lift
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1037.jpg  
Old 09-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #3

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Did you post a photo?
Old 09-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #4

Manitoba
ok I thought I did but I guess I didn't do it right, will try again.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #5

Manitoba
After 5" lift

Before doing 5" lift I noticed cracks around the square tubing of the axle where the flat plate is welded to it. I had to get it re welded and also noticed it had been welded previously by last owner on other corners. This is something you may want to check on yours if you own one of these units.
Attached Thumbnails
20150914_194153.jpg  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #6

Manitoba
New hub/drum assembly receipt

Sorry I wasn't uploading pictures properly here is the receipt with part numbers and prices in Canadian to give everybody a idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Biggar recpt.jpeg  
Old 09-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Damien, did this price point include new axels as well? And what made you change them out?
Marina

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

Manitoba
Hi Marina, no the price point didn't include new axles I just used my old ones again. Its only 4 nuts to take off and drop axles out and all the bolt heads are welded to the plates connected to the frame on the inside of the trailer. I did have to get the welder to come out and torch off bolt heads so I could install the longer bolts for the lift. I originally was just checking the brakes and wheel bearings on trailer as I had not done that since I owned it, and it went from that to all this work haha. I decided to lift the trailer because to get each tire off and out of the wheel hub they are tucked into on the trailer I had to let half the air out of each tire. I did not want to be doing this on the side of the highway if I ever got a flat so I put the lift on it to not only give it more clearance off the ground but to change out a flat like regular.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 AM   #9

Manitoba
On the receipt the "hub" part # is wrong, as the lug nut spacing was to big for my rims. The actual hub part # is 9-545-EZ, 4.5" spacing.

Also full manufacturers name on the axles are a Ngersoll Rub-R-Ryde
Old 05-10-2016, 01:35 AM   #10

Name: joseph
Trailer: in the market
Missouri
Let me know if you ever decide to sell. Joe
ferrari79308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #11

Name: Angela
Alberta
I have the same biggar and want to do a lift. How did you do it and what do I need?
Angela Biggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, biggar