Back again - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #15

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I use these strap-on tow mirrors, which fit just about any stock mirror, work great and cost ten bucks apiece.

And it's a good thing they're cheap, since I lost one last fall by clipping it off against a bush during a wild ride up out of the boonies in the California mountains!

Francesca

They have a variety of those... but I confess to not finding them, uh, all that pleasing to the eye. Do they vibrate?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #16

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
Hi Jack!

Isn't it great to get just what you want... even if it takes a while! I don't I've ever seen the 16 scamp in that layout! Hope to see you at a gathering some time!

Clayton
It is floor plan #6.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack smith View Post
I admit to being very skeptical about these! ... Although reviews support your claim that they don't fall off, most say that the passenger side mirror doesn't extend far enough out. (However it may be OK for the Scam as the reviewers were possibly towing wider trailers?) May give them a try as they have them locally at Fred Meyer.
Just my experience, and FYI:

The suction cup mirrors were the first thing I tried, and in my case at least I found that they wouldn't stay adjusted and vibrated badly. This might only be specific to my car's electric-adjustable mirror type, to which they were attached....

I returned them and haven't had the same problem with the strap-ons, perhaps because they're attached to the more rigid body of the car mirror rather than to the glass.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I've been through a number of add on mirrors, and while not the least expensive, my favorites by far are the Grand Aero mirrors.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I've replaced my Tow n See mirrors with the Grand Aero ( haven't actually used them yet ), but they are very pricey ( about 4 times the price ). One advantage of the G Aero is that there is no suction cup covering up part of the OEM mirror.
With Tow n See, I had no vibration issues with the driver side mirror, and I could see just fine in the passenger side mirror with the Escape 17 behind. My problem with the passenger side mirror was that I never managed to focus on the image in just a glance. Always took a couple seconds to isolate the image in the mirror.
On the driver side, I didn't have that problem.
I don't think it is anything to do with the Tow n See mirror, but I'm hoping that the Aero allows me to use the passenger side mirror without taking my eyes off the road ahead for too long.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #20

Oregon
Francesca, Jon and Glen,

Thanks for your input! I pondered all morning and actually came up with a plan similar to those Grand Aero mirrors. I have in mind fabricating some brackets that will fit under the bottom (with epoxy) and buying those "old time" telescoping units that I can slide back and forth in the brackets as well as being totally removed. Haven't "worked out all the details yet" but being sort of a tinkerer... I'll have a shot at it.
Here's a link to the mirrors I have in mind:

CIPA Replacement Extendable Side Mirror for Jeep - Black-Finished Steel - Driver or Passenger Side CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors CM49704

The price looks good too! (and my labor is cheap!)

Here's the Jeep mirror... the flat part along the bottom of the arm looks perfect for improvised brackets:
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #21

Name: Donald & Debra
Trailer: Compact Jr 'RV There Yet'
Texas
Registry
Jack, I suggest that you add two arms to those mirrors; one forward, one down. ( like the spot mirrors on Big Rigs) It will cut down on the shakes.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #22

Name: John & BJ
Trailer: 2010 Scamp D19
Mesa AZ
Registry
Once you've tried the cheap stuff and gotten frustrated, take a serious look at the Hensley McKesh mirrors. Not cheap, but work wonderful, especially with the extra convex spot mirrors. I wouldn't think of towing with a narrow vehicle (Taco in my case) without them.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #23

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Welcome back Jack.
We also tow with a Wrangler, and am on our second Scamp and 2nd Wrangler (now 07 Rubicon). We have found that wind resistance would just fold the add-on mirrors on our TJ back against the vehicle, and would move them out of alignment whenever we closed the doors. I tried tightening the adjustment on the original mirrors to stop this, but it didn't work. Since we are now able to see down the sides of the Scamp with our stock JK mirrors, we have found the BEST thing to use to see behind us, was a hard wired back-up camera on all the time, mounted inside the Scamp, looking out the rear window. We had tried several of the wireless type in various locations, but it had a lot of interference. I even use one on the Jeep when not towing, as my 37" spare tire blocks seeing out the rear view mirror (I mounted the monitor right on/over the face of the original rear view mirror.
Good luck on what works best for you.
Dave & Paula
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave,

Suggesting any brands?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #25

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Dave,

Suggesting any brands?
Norm,
I purchased the one posted on this site by someone who found a great deal on ebay. It is a PYLE VIEW PLCM35R that came with a 3.5" TFT LCD monitor/Night vision rear-view camera. I had already been using a wireless back-up that had a 7" screen, with dual input ability, so I can switch from the trailer camera when hooked up, and over to the Jeep's wireless camera for driving with-out the trailer.
Dave & Paula
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #26

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
X2 on the Hensley McKesh mirrors. I was able to get mine while they were on sale. I have great views all around the trailer and they make backing into a site easy.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #27

Oregon
Just wait till you guys see what I've come up with for a "plan!"
If it works out I will puff up and boast.... if not, er, well than I'll never mention it again... but at any rate, it will be a week, maybe longer, before I know..

Bought a Honda EU 2000i today at Sportsman's Warehouse... $999.99
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #28

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
My TV is about the same 05 unlimited and I've got and use the Grand Aero add on mirrors cost the more but work great for me. I mount them to the top and out side edge. with them you can adjust them and regular mirrors at different angles. One of the ways to cut down on door vs mirror is to un hook and twist the door strap (TJs YJs) rehook strap. I've tried suction cup ones and the clip on ones don't like them. My Scamps 2010 16 deluxe. FYI my mirrors are mounted on the body not the doors. I think The suction cup may damage factory mirror if something hit it.