Barb in toronto...new member - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #15

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
thank-you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Hi Barb, from another 'Ontario-io-ioan' in the Halibuton Highlands.

I love the Haliburton Highlands and try to go as often as i can... only a couple hours drive...there are not too many campgrounds it seems there?? I stayed at Hilly Billy once. Barb

Old 08-13-2015, 11:34 AM   #16

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Greetings from east of T.O. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #17

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I fund several references on-line for the Matrix that indicate that some years had a 1500 lb. towing limit Look in the owners manual for your Matrix and let us know what that indicates. If you don't have the original manual let us know what year your Matrix was built as.

While 1500 lbs is somewhat limiting, there are a number of viable options. We towed several different FGRV's with 4 cylinder Honda CRV and were able to stay under it's 1500 lb town limit.
Hi Bob, I ran right out to the car. the Total Load Capacity is 850 lb and the towing capacity is 1500 lbs...do you add those two together? thank-you. My toyota is an 07 and has 136000 km on it. Barb
Old 08-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
No, load capacity is what you can put in and ON the car, you will have to include the weight of the tongue in that, meaning that you can carry less than the 850 lbs.

1500 lbs is a real tough limit to work with but it can be done, our Honda CRV had that limit and by being very carful we were able to keep a Lil Bigfoot under that limit, but not by much.

If you look at the Hunter Compact-II pics in my photobucket link, it can be a real lightweight and there was also a Canadian version built at one time.

Please avoid the temptation to follow what "Others" may advocate or have done in regards to ignoring manufacturer's weight limits. Contrary to some earlier statements, it is only a very tiny, but vocal, minority on this site that support that concept. No more than about 5 at last count..
Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
Quote:
No, load capacity is what you can put in and ON the car, you will have to include the weight of the tongue in that, meaning that you can carry less than the 850 lbs.

1500 lbs is a real tough limit to work with but it can be done, our Honda CRV had that limit and by being very carful we were able to keep a Lil Bigfoot under that limit, but not by much.

If you look at the Hunter Compact-II pics in my photobucket link, it can be a real lightweight and there was also a Canadian version built at one time.

Please avoid the temptation to follow what "Others" may advocate or have done in regards to ignoring manufacturer's weight limits. Contrary to some earlier statements, it is only a very tiny, but vocal, minority on this site that support that concept. No more than about 5 at last count..
...Toyota Matrix4 cylinders, 1.8L. Here you go, Buddy. I had been towing for years of camping...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG631.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:

On the other hand Buddy, riding a positive note, I would believe that 100% of the forum members would suggest that Barb, and anyone else for that mater, tow within the safe limits of the TV and rig as a whole. By doing this everyone is happy.

Note... there are a number of trailers out there that do not tow well and there are a number of TV's out there that have, lets say, have an overly generous tow rating. There are many factors to consider when putting together a combination besides always bringing up the vehicles tow rating number.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:58 PM   #21

California
Your first paragraph is a misleading statement. You have changed the words "manufacturers towing limits" to mean "safe limits of the TV and rig as a whole", the latter suggesting to ignore manufacturer towing limits if an individual or a third party alleges that it is safe to do so. Safe towing weight may be less than the manufacturers specified towing limits, that I do not know, but not more than those limits.

This is the second time that you have said that there are trailers out there that "do not tow well" and that there are a number of TV's that have "an overly generous tow rating". As requested before, would you please name some of each that apply to this group, and the basis for that allegation? Otherwise, mentioning it is nothing less than fear mongering.

I'm sorry if some feel that the manufacturers towing limit gets in the way of what they want to do, but it is what it is....

BTW: Who is "Buddy". I thought that the OP's name was Barb.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Bob,

There are a number of people who are comfortable towing over the manufactures limit. Like every motorcycle that tows a trailer. I am fairly sure that there is no recommended tow capacity on any motorcycle. Yet I see them towing trailers. If you are counting, make me number six. I suspect that there are more, but they don't want your finger wagging. You are clearly very concious of rules. I think of rules as what you follow, when you don't want to think for yourself. Mostly I follow rules, but there are exceptions.

You talk about automotive engineers like their word is directly from god. I have worked with engineers extensively. How I think of engineers is as a liability sink. It is their job to ensure that all applicable codes are being met. If not, they are in trouble. Especially if someone dies. Consequently, they tend to be very conservative. I was impressed to see that the Smart car has a 500 pound tow capacity. Yet my Firefly, which weighs as much, has none. Does this make sense? Not to me. Not that I have a hitch receiver on the fly. I actually tow with either a Savana, or a Safari, lots of tow capacity.

Manufactures in North America have another reason to limit their published towing recommendations. They would like to sell larger, and more expensive vehicles. I think this is the primary driver for the manufactures recommended tow limit.

Please recognise that your approach, though not wrong, is not the only valid approach.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:50 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I think the problem here is that newbies ask if they can tow a certain trailer with a certain vehicle. And, there are a few here that say, "sure, go for it, I do".
And, then Bob and others jump in with warnings about stuff like tongue weight and brakes, and tow limitations that need to be considered.
The thread degenerates and instead of learning, the newbie becomes the object of a p*ssing match.
All that said. I'm with Bob.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 PM   #24

California
The majority of comments on the topic are usually for the edification of newbies who are totally unaware of manufacturers towing limits, much less the realistic limits of their vehicles. That said, I don't think that it's fair to the newbie, or the others on the road around them to take a laissez faire attitude about towing limits.

And I don't subscribe to any of the conspiracy theories about how limits are set. The new SAE standards are at least providing a guideline to obviate those claims.

All that said, there are a lot of drivers out there that I am sure you wouldn't want to trust you and you families life to because they elected to "Think for themselves" rather than follow established rules.

#1 Being those DUI drivers that elected to think for themselves... #2 Being those texting or talking on Cell Phones, #3 being those that don't wear safety belts....the list can almost be endless.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:06 PM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinh View Post
...Toyota Matrix4 cylinders, 1.8L.
Randy, nice! .....and taking a couple bikes on a camping trip is icing on the cake.

Re camping with bikes... we never leave home without them.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #26

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ahh it seems that any mention of a vehicle results in a "tow rating debate" even if no one said they planned to tow with it.

It's so interesting to me that you are coming from a Minnie Winnie to an egg camper. I had suspected that most people buying eggs were, like me, coming from a pop-up camper (or tents) but maybe that is wrong. Motorhomes, like boats, are big expenses.. and a smaller fiberglass trailer is much more financially friendly (but still an expense).

So tell us what trailer you are looking at? Escape maybe? Perhaps only the 13 footers might work with your car (subject to further research) but coming from a 22+ footer I would think you would want a 16 or 17. I found the 13 footer a little cramped for even one person.

Welcome and GL in your search.
I really liked the Bigfoot I saw at the rally near Coburg in the spring. There were a couple 17 foot and a 21 foot. I would like to full time but am more likely initially go for 5-6 months each year as I love my garden and want to be in it in the summer. I also like to travel in spring and fall when the garden is not as intensive, the parks are not as busy and it is cooler. I want to go to a fibre glass trailer because of the longevity and general economics. Minnie Winnie is a wonderful RV but it is another motor to look after and being stick built it is a lot more maintenance and it depreciates. I spent 4 months in it last winter and the space was great so I am sure a 17 foot would be perfect and require less of an investment in tow vehicle and trailer. The 21 foot was amazing and I really loved it but I am sure it is too big. I have never towed anything except when I took a day long seminar and test drove a number of vehicle and trailer combos in London at Canam. Airstream is out of the price market though.

Thank-you for you comments. barb
Old 08-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #27
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
I really liked the Bigfoot I saw at the rally near Coburg in the spring. I have never towed anything except when I took a day long seminar and test drove a number of vehicle and trailer combos in London at Canam. Airstream is out of the price market though.

Thank-you for you comments. barb
I too checked out many Bigfoots in my day and have a fondness for them.

Many of us have had the chance to attend the above mentioned towing seminars and the test drives were the highlight of the day. It was certainly a positive learning experience. No doubt taking a seminar like this is a valued asset in understanding the bigger picture with towing dynamics, far beyond what is read in a basic tow manual.

Good gently used trailer can be found in the 5 to 10K dollar amount. That includes glass eggs, airstreams, and of course stickies.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 PM   #28

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I've not seen a 13' Bigfoot but would like to. My first trailer was a 13' Casita which I loved. We only upgraded because at the time we wanted to be able to take children camping too.
Yes, my 17' Bigfoot is heavier than some. At a CAT scale last year it weighed about 3500 lb. It's more trailer than I really need now, but I don't think I could ever give up the great refrigerator/freezer. It's so much better than those in the smaller trailers. I love not carrying a cooler and never needing to buy ice.
As to where to find a used one, they don't come up often and you never know where. I just got lucky. The classifides on this forum is about the best place to look, and look, and look,......

Walt