Barb in toronto...new member - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #29

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
Thank-you Walt...how long have you had your 17'? I am planning on spending a few months at a time in the trailer so want a bit more space and I am with you on fridge sizes. I like to make a few things a bit ahead and freeze them. Also sometimes there is not a convient store around. Barb

Old 08-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #30

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Barb, with a tow rating on your Matrix of only 1,500 lbs., I personally would NOT recommend trying to tow a 17' Bigfoot with it (or any other 16'-19" trailer)! Our 1987 Bigfoot weighs in at around 2,900 to 3,000 lbs when fully loaded to travel. We tow with a Honda Ridgline which has a 5,000 lb towing capacity. If you keep your Matrix for a tow vehicle you will be limited to the smaller 13' trailers and even then might be very close to your tow limit. Good luck in your search!

Oh, you might want to check out the thread titled "Trailer weights in the real world" here: Trailer Weights in the Real World which has a database of the actual weights of people's trailers. Weights listed in ads are often wildly optimistic and off base. The only way to know what a trailer weighs is to actually weigh it!

Old 08-15-2015, 02:22 PM   #31

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
Thank-you kathy...the site you sent to me was very informative. Quite the variation in weights. I know I cannot tow with the Toyoto if I get larger then 13-15 it seems. I am set on the 17" so I will require a tow vehicle as well. Thank-you for being helpful. With the list of loaded trailers on the list looks like a tow ability of 3500 should be good for the 17" bigfoot if I find one. Now I need to look at the variety of vehicles with that ability...I tend to be cautious and prefer to be on the big size being conscious of the everyday use as well. I like to keep my cars till they die a natural death.

I will try googling tow vehicles of 3500 pounds...should work...love google. Barb
Old 08-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #32

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have a vehicle rated to tow 3500 but if I had it to do over again I would get one rated at 5000. More safety margin is good, up to a point (maybe 50% over for a SWAG). But don't forget to look at Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (max of tug and trailer together) and tongue weight limit. In my case the GCVR can easily go over with the trailer still at 3500 or less. GCVR is sometimes a little hard to find but should be in the owner's manual, usually found online.
Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #33

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
Thank-you kathy...the site you sent to me was very informative. Quite the variation in weights. I know I cannot tow with the Toyoto if I get larger then 13-15 it seems. I am set on the 17" so I will require a tow vehicle as well. Thank-you for being helpful. With the list of loaded trailers on the list looks like a tow ability of 3500 should be good for the 17" bigfoot if I find one. Now I need to look at the variety of vehicles with that ability...I tend to be cautious and prefer to be on the big size being conscious of the everyday use as well. I like to keep my cars till they die a natural death.

I will try googling tow vehicles of 3500 pounds...should work...love google. Barb
Be very careful in looking for/at a 17' Bigfoot. The later 17.5' BigFoot looks about the same but it has gained major weight in the process of getting it's all season insulation and a frame change. The BigFoot peeps will chime in with the changeover point I am sure, but the later 17.5 will hit 4000 lbs in a B.C. Minute.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #34
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
I know I cannot tow with the Toyoto if I get larger then 13-15 it seems. I am set on the 17" so I will require a tow vehicle as well. I will try googling tow vehicles of 3500 pounds...should work...love google. Barb
Sounds good Barb. Sounds like you have a good feel for what you want.

There are many vehicles out there that are more than adequate to tow 3,500lbs or more. Since many of us here have been researching the subject for years run some of your favourite vehicles by us. Are you interested in an SUV, truck, Mini Van or car?? Import or domestic? What are your top 3 interests?

Funny thing... I had a chance to look at a pristine, low mileage older Jaguar sedan last week. It had a 4,000lb tow rating.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:29 PM   #35

Name: Bizzian
Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Ontario
Registry
Hi Barb:
Interesting reading on this thread. You attended our EggFest in Grafton in May with your Mini Winnie and we understand why you like it. We originally looked for a motorized RV but like you, we had concerns about looking after two engines. Then we found our 13'boler in a field and we have adapted to it's more confined size very well.
We purchased a 3 season 27.5' Dutchmen trailer with lots of room but we didn't like it at all. Went out last week in the boler and realized we were "home" where we belonged.
Just as an aside. Never trade safety for desire. Life is way too short and can be gone just that quickly. So good luck, be safe out there and it was nice to have met you.
Vivian & Paul Parkin
EggFestOntario
Old 08-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #36

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Barb
I've had my Bigfoot for 2 1/2 years. Its on-the-road weight is around 3600 lbs with empty holding tanks. I would not be comfortable with a TV having less than 5000 lb towing capacity. From my experience I've learned that published towing capacities are very loose. I've had some that tow effortlessly at their rating and others that feel like they are struggling at 3/4 rating. So I feel the need to treat them conservatively.

Walt
Old 08-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #37
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Barb
From my experience I've learned that published towing capacities are very loose. I've had some that tow effortlessly at their rating and others that feel like they are struggling at 3/4 rating. So I feel the need to treat them conservatively.Walt
There is a lot of truth to what you say Walt. We towed our 23 with a 150HP mini van (3,500 tow rated) and it worked well for many years. Then we had professionals set up a 250 HP mid sized sedan (tow rated much less) and it towed the 23 even better. Like you reported one really can't relate the tow rating to actual towing performance. Researching the actual towing performance is key to getting a good one.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #38

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Barb, I agree with Gordon. We too started out with a TV rated to tow 4,000 lbs, a Ford Aerostar Van. We liked the van, but it wasn't up to the job. It could do it, but not do it well. I think you have to also pay attention to the size of the engine, torque and things like that. Maybe some of the folks who know more about that stuff can chime in on that. Our Ridgeline is a much better TV for our Bigfoot.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #39
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
Barb, I agree with Gordon. We too started out with a TV rated to tow 4,000 lbs, a Ford Aerostar Van. We liked the van, but it wasn't up to the job. It could do it, but not do it well. I think you have to also pay attention to the size of the engine, torque and things like that. Maybe some of the folks who know more about that stuff can chime in on that. Our Ridgeline is a much better TV for our Bigfoot.
The Towing Pro's have not been kind re the old Aerostars either. Like many other vehicles with substantial tow ratings the Aerostars were a flop. My buddy's friend towed a small lightweight sticky with one and on his first trip out his whole rig ended up in the ditch upside down. They never did figure out what really went wrong but he didn't buy another Aerostar to tow with.

On the hand the Ford Freestar van that replaced the Aero, with only a 3,500lb tow rating turned out to be a stellar tow vehicle. We know that 3 or 4 of the leading RV dealers in the area here set up about 500 Freestars for towing and a fraction were towing smallish, lightweight trailers.

The Ridgeline is a nice vehicle. Is's also interesting to note the lower rated Oddy van seems to respond better as a TV. At least that is what I have read on the towing reports.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #40

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
More has been written about tow vehicles and weights on this site than any other single subject. There is a lot of good and not so good advise dispensed on the subject via this site.

One simple absolute is bigger is better when it comes to towing...bigger horsepower...bigger torque pounds...all to get the job done right.
Always opt for 10-20% extra when selecting tow power...you won't be sorry!

Happy Camping
Old 08-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #41
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
One simple absolute is bigger is better when it comes to towing...bigger horsepower...bigger torque pounds...all to get the job done right.
Always opt for 10-20% extra when selecting tow power...you won't be sorry!

Happy Camping
So true.... You never hear anyone complaining that they had too much power. We went from a TV that, towing the 23', took 30 sec to get up to 100klm/hr to one that did it in almost half the time. Although still a V6 the extra kick did put a smile on my face many times.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #42

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sure you do hear complaints about "to much power". It's just that the code words are different, usually masked as being "to much fuel consumption".

Power and economy are usually inversely proportional. My 4 cylinder Sonoma would get to 55 MPH in well under 30 seconds pulling a 13' FGRV and still gave close to 20 MPG when towing. But then, none of them weigh 4000 lbs. either, as do very few of the FGRV's represented hereabouts.

My Blazer, with a V6, did drop us down to 17-19 MPG on a recent trip, but we bought it to have a higher towing capacity for a planned future purchase, not because we have any need to out accelerate anyone else on the highway.

In short, match the TV/FGRV combination to each other.
Like Goldilocks told us long ago, Not to hard, Not to soft, but Just Right.....