Barb in toronto...new member - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-16-2015, 12:16 PM   #41
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
One simple absolute is bigger is better when it comes to towing...bigger horsepower...bigger torque pounds...all to get the job done right.
Always opt for 10-20% extra when selecting tow power...you won't be sorry!

Happy Camping
So true.... You never hear anyone complaining that they had too much power. We went from a TV that, towing the 23', took 30 sec to get up to 100klm/hr to one that did it in almost half the time. Although still a V6 the extra kick did put a smile on my face many times.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #42

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sure you do hear complaints about "to much power". It's just that the code words are different, usually masked as being "to much fuel consumption".

Power and economy are usually inversely proportional. My 4 cylinder Sonoma would get to 55 MPH in well under 30 seconds pulling a 13' FGRV and still gave close to 20 MPG when towing. But then, none of them weigh 4000 lbs. either, as do very few of the FGRV's represented hereabouts.

My Blazer, with a V6, did drop us down to 17-19 MPG on a recent trip, but we bought it to have a higher towing capacity for a planned future purchase, not because we have any need to out accelerate anyone else on the highway.

In short, match the TV/FGRV combination to each other.
Like Goldilocks told us long ago, Not to hard, Not to soft, but Just Right.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #43

Name: Barb
Trailer: currently shopping
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have a vehicle rated to tow 3500 but if I had it to do over again I would get one rated at 5000. More safety margin is good, up to a point (maybe 50% over for a SWAG). But don't forget to look at Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (max of tug and trailer together) and tongue weight limit. In my case the GCVR can easily go over with the trailer still at 3500 or less. GCVR is sometimes a little hard to find but should be in the owner's manual, usually found online.
Thank-you Gordon. I went on Google to check out tow vehicles. There are
gear ratios and other things I have never heard of to consider. I am
used to driving a small old car...boy the vehicle price jumps. Barb
On Aug 15, 2015 3:43 PM, "Fiberglass RV" <s
Barb in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #44

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Sounds good Barb. Sounds like you have a good feel for what you want.

There are many vehicles out there that are more than adequate to tow 3,500lbs or more. Since many of us here have been researching the subject for years run some of your favourite vehicles by us. Are you interested in an SUV, truck, Mini Van or car?? Import or domestic? What are your top 3 interests?

Funny thing... I had a chance to look at a pristine, low mileage older Jaguar sedan last week. It had a 4,000lb tow rating.
I actually do not like spending money on vehicles and usually look in the "Lemon Aid" and "Consumer Guide" books when I need one. I pick the size I want then find the best one in the category. I try to get 2-3 years old with low mileage. An SUV would be nice, I believe they get better gas mileage. But I have had a van before and my understanding is they are cheaper. I really look at reliability and maintenance records. So SUV or Van I guess. Which can have better gas mileage? I sure this depends on the specific vehicle. I have no major brand loyalties although I have had a couple small toyotas and they last forever. I have to have air. My vehicles are in a few categories...small box, sedan, sport car, van/SUV(big box) and truck. I do not want a black or yellow vehicle. The Jaguar would be great, but they are expensive cars correct? (i thought they would fit into my "sport" category but you called it a sedan) Thanks! Barb
Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 PM   #45

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Be very careful in looking for/at a 17' Bigfoot. The later 17.5' BigFoot looks about the same but it has gained major weight in the process of getting it's all season insulation and a frame change. The BigFoot peeps will chime in with the changeover point I am sure, but the later 17.5 will hit 4000 lbs in a B.C. Minute.
It seems to me the extra insulation would be a good thing and worth the extra weight...is that what others believe? I will check the actual weight rating of any I see...they are indicated on the trailer somewhere or in the manual correct? Thank-you Bob, Barb
Old 08-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #46

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian L View Post
Hi Barb:
Interesting reading on this thread. You attended our EggFest in Grafton in May with your Mini Winnie and we understand why you like it. We originally looked for a motorized RV but like you, we had concerns about looking after two engines. Then we found our 13'boler in a field and we have adapted to it's more confined size very well.
We purchased a 3 season 27.5' Dutchmen trailer with lots of room but we didn't like it at all. Went out last week in the boler and realized we were "home" where we belonged.
Just as an aside. Never trade safety for desire. Life is way too short and can be gone just that quickly. So good luck, be safe out there and it was nice to have met you.
Vivian & Paul Parkin
EggFestOntario
Hi Vivian and Paul, Yes it's me and I keep thinking the rally was in Colborg. Please clarify a bit on safety...I am not sure if there is a specific reference. I am looking forward to seeing you again soon. Barb
Old 08-18-2015, 12:06 AM   #47

Ontario
I am starting a list of recommended TV. Thanks! Barb
Old 08-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #48

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
The campground is actually just outside of Grafton, but Colborne is next village to the east and Cobourg is the first major town to the west.
My bon mot on safety is a general tid bit about life all told, but specifically in this case it's to your Tow Vehicle's tow weight and tongue weight. It is always better to have a bit more TV than you need. Our Subaru Forester has towed our 13' boler from coast to coast easily with no wear-out on the vehicle either. We are careful how we pack it, and keep the stuff to the minimum as much as possible if going on a longer trip.
For you, after the mini winnie, I would think a 17' would be more to your likeing and I would not tow that with my subaru.
Vivian & Paul
Old 08-18-2015, 05:10 AM   #49
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
I actually do not like spending money on vehicles and usually look in the "Lemon Aid" and "Consumer Guide" books when I need one. I pick the size I want then find the best one in the category. I try to get 2-3 years old with low mileage.
Barb, we are on the same page. Phil Edmunds is "the man" and I have been collecting Consumer mags since the 80's. After owning two troublesome vehicles a Ford Granada and a Ford Topaz I went to a
Toyota Corolla,
Camry,
Mazda 626,
Nissan Quest,
Infiniti G35,
another Nissan Quest,
Toyota Sienna,
and another Toyota Sienna.

All were success stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb in Toronto View Post
The Jaguar would be great, but they are expensive cars correct? (i thought they would fit into my "sport" category but you called it a sedan) Thanks! Barb
I was referring to an 05 Jaguar sedan that is currently for sale on a lot on Welland Ont. It has 60,000klm and asking price is 15,000.

There was a similar Jag at the Can Am site (Toronto RV show) on display at the show with good sized trailer connected. I asked Mr. T about it and he said it was his own rig. He commented that it was the best handling rig he had ever driven and as you know he had driven 1,000's. There is also an 09 Jag for sale in Burlington for 16,000 but higher mileage. Reliability and costs for Jags may not be as good as the top rated Edmunds suggestions.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote