Bigfoot -- Gaucho or Center Bath? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #15

Name: Martin
Trailer: Bigfoot 27.5 Front bed
Missouri
CB or Gaucho

I had a 2005 17.5 Gaucho for 4+ years, the flexibility is great, couch or bed, plus the dinette can sleep 1 or 2 also. The dimensions you were given are accurate.
There is an issue with balance and tongue weight with this trailer, the fresh water tank is parallel and next to the rear bumper thus when the tank is full it makes the tongue weight a bit light which caused some porpoising ( bouncy on hitch when towing) and could lead to sway also.
I had a hitch extension fabricated to add to the tongue that added about 80# to the hitch and extra clearance between my tailgate and jack, killed two birds with one project so to speak.
The other issue we had was when the Gaucho bed is all the way out for the full bed width you can not fully open the bathroom door. My wife wanted the bed out full time so she didn't have to make it every night, after a bit of thinking I went to a cabinet company and had a new door made in two pieces and hinged it like a bifold door with a piano hinge. Stained to match the interior it was a great upgrade and worked well.
These changes met most of our needs I did several other mods, but they were mostly preference type things.
I usually traveled with less than a half tank of water to keep balance heavy on the tongue and not tow more weight then needed.
Also keep in mind that Bigfoot says this trailer weighs about 2900# ours weighed closer to 4400# ready to travel, so you need to consider your tow vehicle capacity.
We bought a 2008 27.5 front bedroom last fall and it weighs about 6500# empty so we had to upgrade our tow vehicle.
Looking forward to traveling in it this year when my wife retires from school.
Pictures should help visualize our mods
If you need more detailed instructions or information private message me I can send more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
345.jpg   346.jpg  

406.jpg   407.jpg  

Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #16

Name: Ritchie
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Interesting design changes. The 2008 17.5ft gaucho has a dry weight of 3040 lbs and the fresh water tank is under the right hand dinette seat in the front!

Tags
bigfoot