Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Never had need to draw a firearm while camping. I have camped more boon dock than in developed camp grounds. I don't have fear of others while I am outside my trailer. They can have anything they want as long as I have a path of retreat. At night inside my trailer I have no path of retreat so it is better to be prepared than not. I hope that there is never a situation where ultimate force is needed as I don't want to deal with the legal / political ramifications. No one wins, even if you think you are in the right. While camping I fear mountain lions as they are sneaky and unpredictable but more likely to want my dog than me. People are not a big issue they just want their fair share of your stuff and don't want to deal with you so they do their shopping while you are away.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Have to agree with Daniel E. More than once LEO or weapons trainers have made the point that you do not want to be in a position where the only defense or choice you have is deadly force.

I would not shoot someone for trying to steal say my generator, aside from the moral issue theft does not legally warrant deadly force. I would be perfectly happy to tell the ranger the guy looks like this, went that way and will have red eyes with snot and tears running down his face.

As someone pointed out earlier there is a lot of responsibility for one to think about associated with carrying a firearm. One of the reasons law enforcement should always be given respect, they take on that responsibility on behalf of society.

I should add the same consider the responsibility applies to first aid kit or fire extinguisher or other emergency tools. Know what you would do or you risk making a mistake with consequences.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
I can only speak from a Canadian perspective.

Gun culture is different here. And not in the public eye as our American cousins to the south (west and north west &#128521. Hand guns and AR's arn't illegal but your extremely restricted on possession and usage. "Mostly" a long gun hunting culture here.

Only time I carry a gun is during hunting season, traveling to the gun range, or once in awhile at work as I end up in the heart of grizzly and polar bear country.

In a situation where I have come across a time I felt I needed one, it was a black bear stocking me for 45mins down a logging road about 100m behind me. Never got closer but 45mins is a long time.

This year hunting I came face to face with a cougar, he was walking down the path directly towards me, strutting like cats do looking back and forth to each side. No idea I was there. With in 6 meters I covered him with the crosshairs and yelled, He ran off.

Outside of those situations I never would have grabbed a gun, thought of a gun. Or probably had quick enough access to a gun.

I believe street smarts keeps you safe and not paying attention gets you in bad situations. Everyone's experiences are different.

That being said, a bat or bear spray probably has the same defensive properties and would be more likely viewed as not excessive force.

My recommendation is everyone needs a dog, they are called mans best friend. And they are about the smartest street smart companion around.

Sent remotely
Old 01-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I have never wished I had a fire arm when off grid camping regardless of what side of the border or how far south I have camped. Even though I live and camp frequently in bear country. :-) Most vehicles theses days have alarms - keep the keys by your bed and if you hear someone or a bear outside your trailer or something is trying to get into it, hit the panic alarm for the vehicle... that will send most running. ;-)

To be honest as far as scary events taking place while camping - nope none. I have only had a couple of what I would simple call "incidents". Both were someone coming into the campsite at night and helped themselves to something (one case a nice cooler and the other chairs) - funny enough both happened in busy/full State parks & neither would be justification for using deadly force even if I had heard or seen them doing it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #19

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
We generally alway camp off grid, and we bought a firearm only after reading about an elderly couple camped in an RV campground, who befriended another camper, invited him in, and he slit both their throats. We also carry another tool, wasp & hornet spray.....great deterrent.
Dave & Paula
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #20

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Have to agree with Daniel E. More than once LEO or weapons trainers have made the point that you do not want to be in a position where the only defense or choice you have is deadly force.

I would not shoot someone for trying to steal say my generator, aside from the moral issue theft does not legally warrant deadly force. I would be perfectly happy to tell the ranger the guy looks like this, went that way and will have red eyes with snot and tears running down his face.

As someone pointed out earlier there is a lot of responsibility for one to think about associated with carrying a firearm. One of the reasons law enforcement should always be given respect, they take on that responsibility on behalf of society.

I should add the same consider the responsibility applies to first aid kit or fire extinguisher or other emergency tools. Know what you would do or you risk making a mistake with consequences.
If someone was stealing your generator and you shot them YOU would be in SERIOUS TROUBLE !!! You can only use deadly force if a PERSON is in danger of injury or death. The threat has to be directed toward a PERSON. If someone is killing your dog or stealing your car, since they are not PERSONS, shooting them would put you in a very complicated situation. Another thing to be aware of is if you do shoot someone even if it is justified it's going to cost you thousands of dollars in legal fees. Also keep in mind that after the bullet leaves the firearm it is the responsibility of the shooter. Hit an innocent bystander accidently and see what happens. If you want to carry a firearm you need to be responsible. Very responsible.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
If the site I wished to camp made carrying a firearm a necessity ,I would find a different place to camp. I am more concerned when camping in the backwoods about injuries such as falling or suffering a severe cut or puncture wound or breaking a bone and requiring medical attention. In our area and in large segment of Mn & Wi cell phones service is non existent or spotty at best. A good first aid kit to me is the real necessity when camping in the middle of nowhere
Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My advice is to do what your comfort level leads you to do.

My comfort level includes having a handgun. I grew up in a family that used firearms for hunting and target shooting and that taught me proper safety, plus I took a hunter safety course and later on a CCW course to get a concealed carry permit. I try to know the pertinent laws of the places I'm going to camp in (not hard to find such info nowadays with internet).

I feel that I am the one who's primarily responsible for my own safety, and that I know how to carry a firearm safely and how to use it properly in the unlikely event that the need arises. It's just a tool, like a hammer or a wrench, and there's nothing better than having the right tool for the job should the need arise. Just as I hope to never need to fix anything, I hope to never need the handgun... but it's nice to have it. I really feel better about boondocking in the middle of nowhere in bear or mountain lion country if I am "packing", because some animals can act unpredictably.

If you feel more comfortable with bear spray, that's fine. Be aware that pressurized canisters of bear spray caution against exposure to high temperatures (not advised to leave one in a hot vehicle or trailer). If my can of UDAP ruptured in either place, my camping trip would come to an abrupt and miserable halt! And some parks can prohibit bear spray! IIRC it was banned in Yosemite. Another option would be a good knife or some tool or other object that you feel comfortable wielding. Even a key can be used in self-defense against an aggressive human, and it's better than nothing.

Do what you think is best for you, not necessarily what anyone else thinks is best.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the great advice and links. The article in Truck Camper magazine was great information. I personally like the Bear spray idea best.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
And PLEASE remember that laws pertaining to transporting any firearms in Canada, are VERY different from those of the USA.
We've been camping (about 50% boondocking) in all 10 provinces, and through 26 USA states, since 1960, and have never even considered bringing any firearms (or 'bear spray').
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
A few suggestions from a camper who always travels with a 12 gauge SXS shotgun in the camper along with both OO Buck shot loads and rifled slug loads.
The OO Buck loads offer an all purpose solution to most emergency situations....the rifled slugs to bring down big critters like bears etc. I do Reccomended trying to scare off bears and such prior to the use of deadly force.

You stated you have a "carry permit" you must know that only applies to handguns in your state where the permit was issued. Other states may not recognize your permit. I am not a big fan of handguns. I carried on on the job in the military and when things get tense handguns tend to miss the mark more often than not even in the hands of someone trained for such circumstances.
That is the reason I select the shotgun as the weapon of choice...just point and shoot with OO Buck...almost impossible to miss. If shooting at a human be damn sure he is armed and you are facing deadly force.

Never store your firearm loaded. Most if not all states have no problem with you having an unloaded shotgun in your camper...locked and/or under your control.
Handguns can get you in trouble in too many states and since campers tend to cross a lot of state lines it is best to stick with long guns and avoid the handgun problem with confusing state laws. I have never camped in Canada and have no idea how our neighbors to the north view firearms.

Anybody who boondock camps without a firearm is tempting fate. I have never had to deploy my shotgun but knowing it is handy makes me feel very safe.
If you do not know how to use a firearm under adverse situations get training before you pack one in your camper.

Remember when camping in the boondocks 911 is almost never an option.
Police do not protect you they only process the crime scene after you are victimized.

Happy and Safe Camping.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
And PLEASE remember that laws pertaining to transporting any firearms in Canada, are VERY different from those of the USA.
Yup the laws are very different. The Coles notes version of the two major law difference are:

A Registration certificate is required for restricted or prohibited firearms - which most hand guns & most anything automatic and even some cross bows fall under this class. A registration certificate is not easily obtained unless you happen to be in the law enforcement field of work.

The second one is that anyone with a gun - even a shotgun must be licensed - i.e. they have taken the required firearms safety courses in order to obtain that license and they need to keep it current.

Bottom line that although shoot guns are legal to own in Canada if you have not been through the safe handling courses and have a Canadian issued license for it, its best left south of the border.

Failure to comply with either of the above can result in a criminal conviction.

The laws regarding the storage and transportation of the firearms is spelled out at: Government of Canada Justice Laws Website - Storage, Display, Transportation of Firearms.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #27

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Try crossing into Canada with a firearm (handgun or long gun) ,even if you comply with all the rules pertaining to firearms with a DWI on your record. From what I was told at the border ,a DWI conviction is considered a felony in Canada and it is a crime for a felon to possess a firearm. Maybe I misunderstood the border guard ( The guard spoke Canadian) ,so Carol please correct me if I am wrong
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I am on several firearms related forums and I've heard some stories that concern me. Since anyone with a concealed carry permit issued in any of the states shows up in any law enforcement computer the possibility of a serious delay at Canada Customs is very real. I've heard reports from individuals going into Canada from the US who honestly declared at the border that they did not have any firearms and were interrogated and searched in depth even though they did not have a weapon. If you have a carry permit and you are going into Canada don't even think of bringing a handgun and expect a lengthy delay at customs.

Tags
boondocking