Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2015, 01:59 AM   #57

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
My advice is to do what your comfort level leads you to do.

My comfort level includes having a handgun. I grew up in a family that used firearms for hunting and target shooting and that taught me proper safety, plus I took a hunter safety course and later on a CCW course to get a concealed carry permit. I try to know the pertinent laws of the places I'm going to camp in (not hard to find such info nowadays with internet).

I feel that I am the one who's primarily responsible for my own safety, and that I know how to carry a firearm safely and how to use it properly in the unlikely event that the need arises. It's just a tool, like a hammer or a wrench, and there's nothing better than having the right tool for the job should the need arise. Just as I hope to never need to fix anything, I hope to never need the handgun... but it's nice to have it. I really feel better about boondocking in the middle of nowhere in bear or mountain lion country if I am "packing", because some animals can act unpredictably.

If you feel more comfortable with bear spray, that's fine. Be aware that pressurized canisters of bear spray caution against exposure to high temperatures (not advised to leave one in a hot vehicle or trailer). If my can of UDAP ruptured in either place, my camping trip would come to an abrupt and miserable halt! And some parks can prohibit bear spray! IIRC it was banned in Yosemite. Another option would be a good knife or some tool or other object that you feel comfortable wielding. Even a key can be used in self-defense against an aggressive human, and it's better than nothing.

Do what you think is best for you, not necessarily what anyone else thinks is best.
^^^THIS^^^

I owe it to myself and my family to have the ability, mindset and means to protect them. I would never leave our fate in the hands of others. And as much as I respect and admire our LEO's, a wise old cop once told me "when seconds count, the Police are only minutes away." Each of us must act within our own comfort zone.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 AM   #58

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Amen

Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #59

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I know good bear spray is really effective in stopping bears and people but I would be concerned about using it in a trailer. You might stop the troublemaker as well as yourself.
Oh, absolutely! Another limitation of bear spray. You'd ruin the trailer!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #60

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Try washing that out. That pepper oil will transfer everywhere. Everything you touch, move, eat will have it in it. We use to make fiberglass rodent armor for the telecommunication industry and mixed Capsicum in the resin so the Ground squirrels would leave the long distance underground cables alone. The only thing it deterred was the people in the shop. We mixed 5 grams of pepper oil into 18,000 grams of resin. It was totally miserable in the shop within a week. I don't miss those days.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #61

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Quote:
Oh, absolutely! Another limitation of bear spray. You'd ruin the trailer!
Agreed.

However, and I am not advocating one method over the other just opening up another thought. Let say you do have an altercation inside your camper and guns are brought to the fray. I suspect in a different way you could also ruin either partially or in whole your trailer this way. And what if one of those bullets pierces a propane line. Instantly you are inside a bomb that goes off or make that two if you have dual propane tanks. And what if your TV is setting right next to your camper during this altercation as the first bomb goes off or the bullet/bullets go right through the trailer and into the TV. Most likely it would be a short period before your TV goes up in flames and or explodes as well. Not that it would matter much at that point other than to hope no one else is injured or killed from the debris and shrapnel.

Granted these are all hypothetical worse case scenarios, but foolish not to consider them IMHO.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #62

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sorry Rob, I don't think that your specific fears are in need of consideration.
First... I don't carry or allow weapons in my RV's and have never read of a supported claim that anyone ever broke into an RV with one in hand.

That said, the chances of a bullet hitting a 3/8" diameter LP line is more than slim to none and, as I have actually seen, (in PD firearms training) shooting a bullet through a CRT TV just makes a mess, and with a flat screen TV, would only result in a hole in the TV and whatever is next in the line of fire. And one would have to be behind said bullet strike to be hit by any shrapnel. But, if it were a risk, I would be happy to promote that as another reason to not.... in the camper. Only wish I could.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #63

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
Bob you might have misunderstood my comment or intent.

First I don't have any fears as you describe, but rather was only responding to bear spray vs using a gun inside of a trailer should such an altercation occur. Both can make an ugly mess if deployed. Yes I did paint a worse case scenario, true but only for the sake of effective comparison.

Hopefully this will clarify my intention.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #64

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
If it happens. I will take the chance of a mess or a hole. And hopefully get to walk away.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #65

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
If it happens. I will take the chance of a mess or a hole. And hopefully get to walk away.
Hope those other campers outside get to walk away too.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:29 PM   #66

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Hope those other campers outside get to walk away too.
I second your concern !! If firearms are present we leave the area immediately if not sooner
Old 02-05-2015, 06:57 PM   #67

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I figure from past experience that this is about where the thread gets closed.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #68

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
As long as people continue to post respectfully, and just state their thoughts on the subject without any argument, then move on, there is no need to close the thread. We just ask that folks continue to do just this.

Other members will be able to draw their own conclusions from what they already feel or believe, while taking into account thoughts expressed here.

If you have said your piece, your opinion will be noted by all who read the thread, so there is no need to reiterate your stance.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:48 PM   #69

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I second your concern !! If firearms are present we leave the area immediately if not sooner
I wonder how you get any camping done? After all, most campers with firearms are carrying them concealed. It's altogether possible, perhaps even likely, that someone in the CG has a firearm just about every time you're there. With that kind of knowledge, how do you get comfortable with camping in any CG where other campers are present? For that matter, how do you even live near other people, when there's not telling which or how many of your neighbors possess guns?

Really the fact is this: despite the likely presence of armed campers near you, no harm or violence ensued and all went well for your camping experience. Just like the presence of armed neighbors around your house have not caused you harm (I assume...). Presence of firearms nearby is not inherently dangerous or alarming.

But if if makes you feel better, I guess you could always go door to door and check all the camping people, so if anyone in the CG has a gun, you can pull out and go elsewhere....
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #70

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I wonder how you get any camping done? After all, most campers with firearms are carrying them concealed.
I understand your position Mike and when in the US I assume everyone but me is packing unless of course the folks camping beside me also happen to have Canadian plates BUT the problem is in my experience not everyone does conceal their guns and keeps them concealed.

I have pulled into two separate camping areas on BML lands - once in Calf. and the other in Arizona, where I have turned around and left right away - way to many people out doing open target practise with hand guns which puts me way out of my comfort zone - don't really want to know what happens after those folks have a few to many pops around the campfire at night. I recall taking a drive up one back road in southern Arizona and you would have been hard pressed to find a single cactus over the 5 mile drive that didnt have a number of bullet holes through it. I grew up in an area with the highest population of cougars in North America so I was taught how us a shotgun at an early age, so I not totally paranoid around guns. But the open use of handguns is just way to creepy for me!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking