Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #81

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Many years ago as a young Brit woman I went camping in the US with a friend (another young Brit woman). We were horrified to see that other campers had guns on display in their vehicles (usually trucks with guns in a rack in the cab). No doubt this was a cultural thing, with us growing up in a very different culture. We both settled in Canada and neither of us have entered the US again.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #82

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yes, definitely a cultural thing. I grew up in rural US farm land, and it was nothing to see someone walking down the road with a firearm on their way to or from a little hunting in the woods.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #83

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
We feel much safer in an area where carrying guns is legal. Some of the worst massacres happened in gun free zones.
CandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #84

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are about 300 million firearms owned by civilians in the United States. The exact number is unknown. Published estimates range from 280 million to 320 million. This figure does not include firearms in the military.

The population of the United States (2013 ) was 316 Million.

There are a lot of law abiding firearms owning U.S. citizens.

I do not know how you would avoid a camping area where fellow campers had firearms. Determining if a camping area is a "firearm free zone" would be a challenge. You could always ask your fellow campers if they had a weapon but would they tell the truth ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #85

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
I have no problem with concealed carry. I just don't expect to ever get comfortable with seeing strangers packing weapons.
I'm with the contingent that would prefer to pack up and camp elsewhere. Fortunately most of the places we camp it's illegal to have guns so I never worry about it.
I sure hope it never becomes an issue.
I would actually feel BETTER if I saw some fellow campers packing weapons. That way I would feel comfortable openly carrying. And, at least if the crap hits the ventilator these guys can help out in the fire fight.

And, I'm with you on the places we camp that it is illegal to have guns, I never worry about it either.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #86

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Just because the campground says no firearms doesn't mean their not still there.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #87

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Just because the campground says no firearms doesn't mean their not still there.
Oh I can promise you they're still there.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #88

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Hey folks its ok for us to have a variety of viewpoints. I get it. Some of us feel safer knowing there are guns around a campground, some of us feel less safe in the same circumstances. No right or wrong answers here that apply to everyone. Thanks for sharing your opinions.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #89

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
When I travel my Travel Trailer is my "Home" and no one is going to tell me that I cannot have my 12ga shotgun and OO Buckshot available to defend my home.
The last time I checked this country that I camp in is still the United States of America and the second amendment is still in the constitution.
Gun Free Zones are a fantasy....ask any criminal.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #90

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
When I travel my Travel Trailer is my "Home" and no one is going to tell me that I cannot have my 12ga shotgun and OO Buckshot available to defend my home.
The last time I checked this country that I camp in is still the United States of America and the second amendment is still in the constitution.
Gun Free Zones are a fantasy....ask any criminal.
I'm glad the country you camp in is the United States because if you were to try to bring a 12ga shotgun and 00 buckshot, undeclared, into Canada or Mexico, your new "Home" would likely be a prison cell. BTW, that "someone" that is going to tell you what you can and cannot have at a US or Mexican Border is wearing a side arm and takes a dim view of such infractions.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #91

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm glad the country you camp in is the United States because if you were to try to bring a 12ga shotgun and 00 buckshot, undeclared, into Canada or Mexico, your new "Home" would likely be a prison cell. BTW, that "someone" that is going to tell you what you can and cannot have at a US or Mexican Border is wearing a side arm and takes a dim view of such infractions.
He specifically stated 'The United States', not Canada, Mexico or any other country. And it's not a matter of 'opinions', it's our Constitutionally protected right.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #92

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I believe it is legal for a US citizen to bring a shotgun or rifle into Canada. Only handguns are restricted in Canada. Mexico-that's another story. Just bringing in a bullet or even an empty casing will get you in real trouble.

Yes, you are right ! I too am glad the country I camp and live in is the United States.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #93

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This discussion is tiresome.
Nobody is going to convince the other.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #94

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
I'm not sure that anyone is trying to convince others, just expressing points of view. I have noticed in life that some folks don't want to hear the opinions of others as they have their mind set and that's that. The great thing is that one doesn't have to follow the thread if they don't want to.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Well I can agree that everyone is going to have their own opinion; that much is true. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #96

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Well I can agree that everyone is going to have their own opinion; that much is true. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
What are we agreeing that we are disagreeing about?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #97

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
This forum is set up so one only has to read the topics that interest them Glenn. A new reader to this thread may disagree with you.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #98

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
My camping is limited to the USA by choice....the last country other than the U.S. was Vietnam and I was heavily armed with an automatic weapon supplied by my employer......Firearms....don't leave home without them!

Happy Safe Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #99

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Amen to that Glenn. I sometimes carry where its legal, and sometimes not. Its a personal decision, and I make it for a number of reasons, which are personal. This issue is filled with emotion and it polarizes people. When I camp, I want to meet new people, experience new things and make new friends. One sure fire way to squash that is to argue for or against issues like this one.

On a gun forum I will take a different tack. As a very wise man once said, "to everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." Back to the subject of boondocking, anyone?
Old 02-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #100

Was just saying that everyone has a different view on this subject so agreeing that everyone has different opions and moving on.

Tags
boondocking