Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #71

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I'm somewhat with Steve in that if I were to see any weapons displayed in a campground environment that I would be concerned that either; a) someone thought that there was a threat or, b) someone seemed to have some sort of unnecessary need to display a weapon. First stop would be at the Ranger/Owners to ask if this was allowed, if so, I'm gone, if not, I'd request that the perpetrator be asked to leave.

Short of it being a Hunting Camp of some sort, a campground isn't an appropriate place for the unnecessary display of firearms

That's sorta like, if you don't see em', don't worry, if you do see em', find out why.....

Old 02-06-2015, 07:59 PM   #72

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I wonder how you get any camping done? After all, most campers with firearms are carrying them concealed. It's altogether possible, perhaps even likely, that someone in the CG has a firearm just about every time you're there. With that kind of knowledge, how do you get comfortable with camping in any CG where other campers are present? For that matter, how do you even live near other people, when there's not telling which or how many of your neighbors possess guns?

Really the fact is this: despite the likely presence of armed campers near you, no harm or violence ensued and all went well for your camping experience. Just like the presence of armed neighbors around your house have not caused you harm (I assume...). Presence of firearms nearby is not inherently dangerous or alarming.

But if if makes you feel better, I guess you could always go door to door and check all the camping people, so if anyone in the CG has a gun, you can pull out and go elsewhere....
Mike . I respect your rights under the law and your opinion . We all have to do what we feel is best/safe for ourselves and our families . As Carol noted not all people act responsibly ,such as consuming alcohol while in possession of a firearm .My opinion differs from yours but I expect you to extend the same respect to me as I have extended to you .I am not paranoic about this situation just extremely cautious. Thank you

Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #73

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
One thing to remember to help put things in context is that for United States citizens the right to keep and bear arms is a Constitutionally protected right, and just as important as our other Constitutional rights. That being said, common sense, sound judgement and a high level of training are a really important part firearms ownership and use. I can pretty much guarantee that you will never know if I am armed.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #74

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
One thing to remember to help put things in context is that for United States citizens the right to keep and bear arms is a Constitutionally protected right, and just as important as our other Constitutional rights. That being said, common sense, sound judgement and a high level of training are a really important part firearms ownership and use. I can pretty much guarantee that you will never know if I am armed.
Me too!
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #75

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
I agree with Oregonian and Papa-t
Most of my life I've carried firearms Job requirment... Infantry now as a LEO. I have and carry OC. ASP and a firearm. I have a can of bear spray mounted by door in my RV. The only time I'm stressed about some one with a firearm is if its pointed at me or I'm in uniform responding to a call! I'm just as stressed by ax, club, knife or otherwise. I'm more worried about a drunk, impared or texting driver than a gun. A firearm is a tool no more no less.
I've "camped" in a lot of places, some of them I was carring no weapons (USA and Europe) and a lot of the places I was carring many weapons (SWA)
FYI some countries in Europe are not as stressed about firearms as some in the USA. in the past (80s-90s)
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #76

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
OK to skedaddle

Thanks for all your many great comments.
My 11 yo grandson and I were camping at one of the many small free fishing campgrounds along a river in the Washington Cascades...cowboy style...for the experience...bedrolls on tarp, beans cooking in the can over a fire, watching the stars....telling stories...until a drunk in a nearby campsite began shooting his gun. We threw everything into the car and skedaddled!

I since bought my Scamp - under similar circumstances I'm skedaddling. Drunks and guns don't mix.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #77

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I have no problem with concealed carry. I just don't expect to ever get comfortable with seeing strangers packing weapons.
I'm with the contingent that would prefer to pack up and camp elsewhere. Fortunately most of the places we camp it's illegal to have guns so I never worry about it.
I sure hope it never becomes an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #78

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
The thing is: where firearms are illegal to possess, only the bad guys have them, because the good guys obey the law. Being in an area where only the bad guys have guns doesn't give me any comfort.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #79

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
The thing is: where firearms are illegal to possess, only the bad guys have them, because the good guys obey the law. Being in an area where only the bad guys have guns doesn't give me any comfort.
Amen! To the point. Exactly
Old 02-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #80

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
There are no bad guys where I go camping, just nice friendly folks. One of the things I love about camping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #81

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Many years ago as a young Brit woman I went camping in the US with a friend (another young Brit woman). We were horrified to see that other campers had guns on display in their vehicles (usually trucks with guns in a rack in the cab). No doubt this was a cultural thing, with us growing up in a very different culture. We both settled in Canada and neither of us have entered the US again.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #82

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Yes, definitely a cultural thing. I grew up in rural US farm land, and it was nothing to see someone walking down the road with a firearm on their way to or from a little hunting in the woods.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #83

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
We feel much safer in an area where carrying guns is legal. Some of the worst massacres happened in gun free zones.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #84

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
There are about 300 million firearms owned by civilians in the United States. The exact number is unknown. Published estimates range from 280 million to 320 million. This figure does not include firearms in the military.

The population of the United States (2013 ) was 316 Million.

There are a lot of law abiding firearms owning U.S. citizens.

I do not know how you would avoid a camping area where fellow campers had firearms. Determining if a camping area is a "firearm free zone" would be a challenge. You could always ask your fellow campers if they had a weapon but would they tell the truth ?

Tags
boondocking