Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #113

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I know the Canadian law....I do however resent paying $25 (per long gun) to retain my weapon in Canada....that is why I camp in the USA.
I don't resent any law in a foreign country, except the ones that deny basic human rights and dignity. It's their country, and they have a right to pass whatever laws they see fit. I may not "like" their law, but "resentment"? Nah.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #114

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't resent any law in a foreign country, except the ones that deny basic human rights and dignity. It's their country, and they have a right to pass whatever laws they see fit. I may not "like" their law, but "resentment"? Nah.
Are you aware there is a law requiring you to pay a $500 fee for a friendship sponsor to come to Canada. I would be willing to sponsor you for when you come to pick up your new Escape, if you wish. Please PM me for address details to send the funds (in the much cheaper Canadian dollar, of course). I will talk to the authorities to insure your safe passage.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #115

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I have camped since the 1950's. In the early years it was for short periods of time - less than two weeks usually. Moving on to the 1960's I found myself camping more and in a variety of places in England, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and the US.

I have never felt threatened by a human or an animal while camping. Never wished I had a gun along. Bears have walked through our campsite and left for richer pickings next door - they had food out on the table, stove top and the ground (in coolers). Having eaten that the bear ripped through their trailer and created havoc inside. It was a young grizzly and it made a horrendous mess. Eventually it wandered away without bothering anyone. The people at the next site were pretty upset though! Mostly other campers weren't sympathetic -we had all been told there were bears in the area and to keep our sites clear of foodstuff.

By the 1970's I was living in close proximity to wilderness. I count myself lucky to have seen almost every possible type of critter - wolves, cougars, lynx, otters, and the smaller stuff like skunk and badger. So far I haven't spotted a wolverine but I live in hope! .
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #116

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Wildlife and stupid campers are a bad mix, detrimental to both. I would suspect that the bear was doomed to do it again, become a nuisance and then be shot in the end, unless relocated, if lucky.

Otherwise, it is interesting to read the reasons to carry or not, explained in a calm way.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #117

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2015 F150 Lariat Ecoboost Crew Cab
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Are you aware there is a law requiring you to pay a $500 fee for a friendship sponsor to come to Canada. I would be willing to sponsor you for when you come to pick up your new Escape, if you wish. Please PM me for address details to send the funds (in the much cheaper Canadian dollar, of course). I will talk to the authorities to insure your safe passage.

That is mighty nice of you Jim-- and a bargain at only 500 CAD.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #118

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
If you find yourself and a partner on a remote trail and are chased by a hungry bear remember....you do not have to out run the bear...you do however have to out run your partner!!!

Happy Camping!!!
Yeah, but I hike alone. No partner to outrun. Maybe that's why I find comfort in carrying deterrence devices, just in case a situation arises.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy, you will be missed.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #119

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have actually begun to carry bear spray while canoe camping, mostly as a comfort to the wife. Though we have seen a bunch of bears, it has never had to be used. What I like, should it have to be used, is that it is non-lethal. Besides, I hear grizzlies like their meat with a bit of pepper on it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #120

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Hi Jim. There are moments that I have regretted starting this thread. I am 65 and have spent many many wonderful nights camping. Also I have shared pots of coffee with many incredible wonderful people. Many that I am still in touch with. I have never felt the need to protect myself nor my camper. I also have never carried any sort of weapon or protection gear with me. I have only recently become interested in boondocking. As I mentioned once I was harassed one night by some drunk deer hunters. As someone mentioned; that alcohol and guns don't mix. Those hunters were all drunk and armed. That was the first time I ever felt threatened while camping. The nearest thing to a weapon that I had that night was an old iron skillet. Well luckily for me and those guys, all ended peacefully. I do have a Tn. carry permit. I took classes and got it only after someone broke into my house three times. I live in a remote mountain area alone. Another sad note is all the drugs and meth labs in my area. While on that drug, people are beyond wild. I have never taken my gun out of my home. I pray that I never feel the need to use it....................I enjoyed my wilderness boondocking camping experience. As I said once before; I am not interested in the remake of the movie Deliverance. I just want to relax and enjoy my outdoor experience. I don't want to go in fear either. After reading so many great responses to my original thread,which I do appreciate everyone's input; I will do as I have always done and that is to just go and have a great time. Unarmed. Again, I want to thank everyone on this forum for their great inputs. Lots of good info to think about. Sincerely, Joe

Sent from my QMV7A using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
boondocking