Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If the site I wished to camp made carrying a firearm a necessity ,I would find a different place to camp. I am more concerned when camping in the backwoods about injuries such as falling or suffering a severe cut or puncture wound or breaking a bone and requiring medical attention. In our area and in large segment of Mn & Wi cell phones service is non existent or spotty at best. A good first aid kit to me is the real necessity when camping in the middle of nowhere
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My advice is to do what your comfort level leads you to do.

My comfort level includes having a handgun. I grew up in a family that used firearms for hunting and target shooting and that taught me proper safety, plus I took a hunter safety course and later on a CCW course to get a concealed carry permit. I try to know the pertinent laws of the places I'm going to camp in (not hard to find such info nowadays with internet).

I feel that I am the one who's primarily responsible for my own safety, and that I know how to carry a firearm safely and how to use it properly in the unlikely event that the need arises. It's just a tool, like a hammer or a wrench, and there's nothing better than having the right tool for the job should the need arise. Just as I hope to never need to fix anything, I hope to never need the handgun... but it's nice to have it. I really feel better about boondocking in the middle of nowhere in bear or mountain lion country if I am "packing", because some animals can act unpredictably.

If you feel more comfortable with bear spray, that's fine. Be aware that pressurized canisters of bear spray caution against exposure to high temperatures (not advised to leave one in a hot vehicle or trailer). If my can of UDAP ruptured in either place, my camping trip would come to an abrupt and miserable halt! And some parks can prohibit bear spray! IIRC it was banned in Yosemite. Another option would be a good knife or some tool or other object that you feel comfortable wielding. Even a key can be used in self-defense against an aggressive human, and it's better than nothing.

Do what you think is best for you, not necessarily what anyone else thinks is best.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Thanks everyone for the great advice and links. The article in Truck Camper magazine was great information. I personally like the Bear spray idea best.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
And PLEASE remember that laws pertaining to transporting any firearms in Canada, are VERY different from those of the USA.
We've been camping (about 50% boondocking) in all 10 provinces, and through 26 USA states, since 1960, and have never even considered bringing any firearms (or 'bear spray').
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:40 AM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
A few suggestions from a camper who always travels with a 12 gauge SXS shotgun in the camper along with both OO Buck shot loads and rifled slug loads.
The OO Buck loads offer an all purpose solution to most emergency situations....the rifled slugs to bring down big critters like bears etc. I do Reccomended trying to scare off bears and such prior to the use of deadly force.

You stated you have a "carry permit" you must know that only applies to handguns in your state where the permit was issued. Other states may not recognize your permit. I am not a big fan of handguns. I carried on on the job in the military and when things get tense handguns tend to miss the mark more often than not even in the hands of someone trained for such circumstances.
That is the reason I select the shotgun as the weapon of choice...just point and shoot with OO Buck...almost impossible to miss. If shooting at a human be damn sure he is armed and you are facing deadly force.

Never store your firearm loaded. Most if not all states have no problem with you having an unloaded shotgun in your camper...locked and/or under your control.
Handguns can get you in trouble in too many states and since campers tend to cross a lot of state lines it is best to stick with long guns and avoid the handgun problem with confusing state laws. I have never camped in Canada and have no idea how our neighbors to the north view firearms.

Anybody who boondock camps without a firearm is tempting fate. I have never had to deploy my shotgun but knowing it is handy makes me feel very safe.
If you do not know how to use a firearm under adverse situations get training before you pack one in your camper.

Remember when camping in the boondocks 911 is almost never an option.
Police do not protect you they only process the crime scene after you are victimized.

Happy and Safe Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
And PLEASE remember that laws pertaining to transporting any firearms in Canada, are VERY different from those of the USA.
Yup the laws are very different. The Coles notes version of the two major law difference are:

A Registration certificate is required for restricted or prohibited firearms - which most hand guns & most anything automatic and even some cross bows fall under this class. A registration certificate is not easily obtained unless you happen to be in the law enforcement field of work.

The second one is that anyone with a gun - even a shotgun must be licensed - i.e. they have taken the required firearms safety courses in order to obtain that license and they need to keep it current.

Bottom line that although shoot guns are legal to own in Canada if you have not been through the safe handling courses and have a Canadian issued license for it, its best left south of the border.

Failure to comply with either of the above can result in a criminal conviction.

The laws regarding the storage and transportation of the firearms is spelled out at: Government of Canada Justice Laws Website - Storage, Display, Transportation of Firearms.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 PM   #27

NW Wisconsin
Try crossing into Canada with a firearm (handgun or long gun) ,even if you comply with all the rules pertaining to firearms with a DWI on your record. From what I was told at the border ,a DWI conviction is considered a felony in Canada and it is a crime for a felon to possess a firearm. Maybe I misunderstood the border guard ( The guard spoke Canadian) ,so Carol please correct me if I am wrong
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I am on several firearms related forums and I've heard some stories that concern me. Since anyone with a concealed carry permit issued in any of the states shows up in any law enforcement computer the possibility of a serious delay at Canada Customs is very real. I've heard reports from individuals going into Canada from the US who honestly declared at the border that they did not have any firearms and were interrogated and searched in depth even though they did not have a weapon. If you have a carry permit and you are going into Canada don't even think of bringing a handgun and expect a lengthy delay at customs.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yeah, Canada travel for US citizens is a whole different thing where firearms are concerned. About the border crossing, I haven't made that crossing in over 15 years and I'm not in any hurry to do so.

Carol, a "shoot gun"? Is there any other kind? Did you mean "shotgun"?

BTW, almost every state provides CCW reciprocity with my state. Such an arrangement can make life a little less stressful when traveling.

Some years back I bought a 1/2" drive socket extension that's about 15" long. It rides under my driver's seat. No cop in the world will hassle a person for possessing a tool! In a pinch, it could be used to deter a 2 or 4 legged critter.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #30

Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Michigan
I believe that is the Canadian pronunciation...
boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
TFrom what I was told at the border ,a DWI conviction is considered a felony in Canada and it is a crime for a felon to possess a firearm. Maybe I misunderstood the border guard ( The guard spoke Canadian) ,so Carol please correct me if I am wrong
It true. Even former US President G.W. Bush got caught out on it & ended up having to obtain a special waiver due to a 1976 drunken-driving offence in order to attend meetings in Canada

Most Provinces have some pretty strict drinking and driving laws resulting in licence suspensions, fines and a night in jail etc for driving after having only a drink or two but you don't end up with a criminal record. BUT you do indeed end up with a Federal Criminal record regardless of what Province you are in, should you be caught driving with a blood alcohol reading over .08% which is the legal limit or for refusing to supply a breath sample.

American's entering Canada with a legal record even it was classified as a misdemeanour in the US but is considered a criminal offence in Canada can be turned away. More than one well known rock star heading here for a big concert has gotten caught out the day of a big concert on that one ;-)
Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by boats19 View Post
I believe that is the Canadian pronunciation...
Yup being the polite society we are up here in the North, we usually do shoot out an apology prior to firing the gun!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The second one is that anyone with a gun - even a shotgun must be licensed
Since the ending of the long-gun registry in 2012, non-restricted firearms are no longer required to be registered. All existing records were destroyed (supposedly). You do still have to have a Firearms Acquisition License to buy, sell or trade any firearm. You do also have to have a licence to be in possession of a firearm.

I know US residents can bring rifles in, they just have to be declared. Not sure of what is required though, but know of a few Americans who have brought their rifles for hunting with them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote from post #25 "Anybody who boondock camps without a firearm is tempting fate."
I have been out there for almost 50 years and never once had even the thought of the need for a firearm, and I don't intend to change that now.

About DUI's & Canada:
My ex, in Chelan, WA, about 100 miles south of the Canadian border, has a friend who was denied entry at the Osoyoos, BC entry because he had a DUI on his record and was told that he would have to apply for a special visa to enter. It's pretty much common knowledge in Chelan about those with DUI's not being allowed to enter Canada..... Good for Canada.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #35

NW Wisconsin
Dwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote from post #25 "Anybody who boondock camps without a firearm is tempting fate."
I have been out there for almost 50 years and never once had even the thought of the need for a firearm, and I don't intend to change that now.

About DUI's & Canada:
My ex, in Chelan, WA, about 100 miles south of the Canadian border, has a friend who was denied entry at the Osoyoos, BC entry because he had a DUI on his record and was told that he would have to apply for a special visa to enter. It's pretty much common knowledge in Chelan about those with DUI's not being allowed to enter Canada..... Good for Canada.
Living in Wisconsin ,I sure wish the USA would make DWI /DUI. a felony offense
like Canada and Europe. We do not drive on Friday and Saturday nights in our area because if one can believe the studies 1 out of 3 drivers in our area is driving under the influence . Your first DWI in Wisconsin is only a misdemeanor and treated like a traffic offense .Not much of a deterrent in my book. Done with my sermon for today AMEN
Old 01-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #36

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Boy howdy! It's fun hearing everyone's fears, ideas and solutions. Sure is a diverse group of RVers, united around love of eggs. Be careful out there and bring your weapon/s of choice, or not. Whatever gives you a restful sleep.

Personally I always make sure my laser cannons are fully charged and I bring along a plentiful supply of photon torpedoes. You never know when a pesky Klingon will show up. Thankfully these weapons require no permits. ;-)

LLAP, and
Happy camping! John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #37

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Yes a DWI record in United States will result in being denied entry to Canada.
I only know this because a friend was denied entry for a pre-reserved hunting trip. He had only one long gun. The DWI was from 18 years ago but the Canadian Border Officials denied him entry.
He now only hunts in the USA.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #38

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Keep it safe and simple

After an incident where I was run off the road at night by a big RV and a man jumped out pointing a pistol and rifle at me (I was driving a convertible with the top down), a friend gave me a pistol and a concealed weapon fanny pack. The gun stays home, used only for target practice at a shooting range.
Like guns, stun guns and stun rods are banned in many locations.
In the situation above, I willingly gave him my purse and the red shiny new convertible - it was a rental, anyway.

Keeping me safe with simple protection devices:

1. have a high level of security awareness - avoid looking like a victim; ; keep your road map hidden from other drivers; stop in well-lit areas; anticipate & have an action plan; take self-defense training; if you feel uncomfortable, leave the area
2. my pit bull traveling companion (she's quiet, doesn't shed, barks when something is near the trailer, and her breed is a great deterrent
3. a 3 D-cell flashlight stashed under the driving seat - can be used as a protection device
4. pepper spray (bear spray in trailer, small personal spray that looks like lipstick in pocket if going to a highway rest bathroom, or while hiking.
5. car emergency alarm on key chain - scared a nosy bear away
6. air horn - works to repel unwanted critters (2-4 legged and for emergency signaling).
7. a whistle

I have not used dog pepper sprays and dog electronic repellent devices for aggressive dogs, but they might be a viable option.

The RV Sue and Crew blog site has a great air horn setup on her trailer. Air Horn | rvsue and her canine crew
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #39

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
As a recently retired officer of 30 years. Here is my 2 cents. I do carry a firearm in the truck and move it to the camper after arriving at our camp site. I don't anticipate a problem. However, like the saying goes. "I'd rather be tried by 12, then carried by 6".
Old 02-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #40

NW Wisconsin
Ninjas

Carol : Why are the Canadian Border Guards so concerned if you bring nunchucks and /or throwing stars into Canada . I can not imagine that Canada has had a large problem with Ninjas Just curious

PS :
One time when crossing into Canada they asked if we had a bazooka , We assumed they were joking

Tags
boondocking