Boondocking or (Dispersed Camping) - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #101

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
[Moderator Note] Things have been relatively civil here despite an often heated topic. PLEASE keep comments objective, and allow others to voice an opinion. There are no wrong opinions, whether others agree with them or not. The more civil we keep a discussion, the more we can learn from those with opposing views.

As mentioned early on in this thread, if things get heated, the door will be closed.[/End Moderator Note]

I for one would like to try to understand the folks on the other side of this issue better. No, it will not change my opinion, but it would help me better appreciate their point of view.

What I think we see on this topic is a lack of understanding, as much as a differing of opinion. You have to understand that for most Canadians, carrying weapons is not an option for the public, something we are more than comfortable with, and we can't understand the reasoning behind the felling you need to defend yourself when camping. I hear lots of US folks too that feel comfortable without a firearm on them at all times too.

Camping has been a big part of my life since being a young teen. Until my early 30's it was always done in a tent, and mostly in the backcountry. Since then it has been mostly trailers with some backcountry still thrown in. More that 90% of my camping is boondocking now. I have never once felt a need to defend myself against anything, or anyone, while camping. I have spent 100's of nights in bear/wolf/cougar country, and though careful, was never really concerned. I have only met wonderful people while camping, and enjoy the relaxed lifestyle.

What I fail to understand, is what makes one feel any safer with a weapon at the ready while camping? Why would one feel the need to defend their trailer, and just what it is you need to defend against? Please understand that this concept of wanting to carry a weapon is quite foreign to me.

I guess to me, it would seem my intended purpose of going camping to relax would be defeated with the feeling of worrying about defending myself.

The bottom line for me, is how do I get the most enjoyment and relaxation out of my camping experience.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #102

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
As much as some would like to deny it- evil and danger are present in our world. Being as prepared to deal with that as possible in no way detracts from my camping experience, in fact it strengthens it by mitigating that worry. Just because it has not happened to you, does not mean that it cannot.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #103

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Escape
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Amen to that Glenn. I sometimes carry where its legal, and sometimes not. Its a personal decision, and I make it for a number of reasons, which are personal. This issue is filled with emotion and it polarizes people. When I camp, I want to meet new people, experience new things and make new friends. One sure fire way to squash that is to argue for or against issues like this one.

On a gun forum I will take a different tack. As a very wise man once said, "to everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." Back to the subject of boondocking, anyone?
Robert, if you go back to the first post in this thread, the OP was asking about this subject specifically, it was not a general 'boondocking' thread.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #104

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
Robert, if you go back to the first post in this thread, the OP was asking about this subject specifically, it was not a general 'boondocking' thread.
I stand corrected Jeff. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #105

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you walk down a remote trail and you and your partner are attacked by a hungry bear or a mountain lion would you just lay down and die for the animal that's only trying to feed itself as nature intended or would you shoot it and live to hike another day and feel bad for doing it? I guess you could leave the slower partner as food and go find a ranger to take official matters in their own hands absolving yourself from doing any offensive dirty deeds. Its no different in the 2 legged world. There are a few people out there that follow natures animal kingdom rules rather than social mandates. When trapped with no other recourse its up to you to decide to protect, flight, defend or to survive to call authorities to clean up the mess and prosecute any offenders of your belief system. Only you can decide whats important to you. As much as you want respect for your beliefs so do others who do not follow the same belief path you choose. I hope when people are in pleasure mode no one ever has to make these choices by force.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #106

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If you find yourself and a partner on a remote trail and are chased by a hungry bear remember....you do not have to out run the bear...you do however have to out run your partner!!!

Happy Camping!!!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #107

Registry
I have spend many 100's of nights in the thick of bear country sleeping in a tent, and hiking the trails, and the only encounters I had with them, saw the bear running away faster that me in opposite directions. Well, not totally true, I have had to chase them away a couple times, but loud shouts or banging on a pot will work just fine.

In all the time I have been in cougar country, I am one of those people that was never fortunate to actually see one. Lots and lots of fresh tracks, especially when ski touring in the winter. They are not referred to as the ghost of the wilderness for nothing.

I would be way more people are killed or hurt by falling rocks, than by bears or cougars.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-27-2015, 03:18 PM   #108

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm glad the country you camp in is the United States because if you were to try to bring a 12ga shotgun and 00 buckshot, undeclared, into Canada or Mexico, your new "Home" would likely be a prison cell. BTW, that "someone" that is going to tell you what you can and cannot have at a US or Mexican Border is wearing a side arm and takes a dim view of such infractions.
At Canadian border for US citizen, just declare your 12 ga. shotgun & OO buckshot, fill out a short form, pay $25 US and its completely legal. I have done it twice now, headed to Alaska, "boon docking" deep in the wilderness. We do need to return to Boondocking. Some are familiar with weapons and some are not and both are right for each. At the very least, one's RV is one's castle so the Castle Doctrine kicks in for most US states.
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #109

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I know the Canadian law....I do however resent paying $25 (per long gun) to retain my weapon in Canada....that is why I camp in the USA.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #110

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I know the Canadian law....I do however resent paying $25 (per long gun) to retain my weapon in Canada....that is why I camp in the USA.
Me too ! However a trailer trip to Alaska requires entering and exiting Canada so I'll have to pay. I will also do my very best to not spend any money in Canada. I'll have to purchase fuel but that will be all.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #111

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
youtube.com has a funny slant on gun control. Type in "Jim Jefferies on Gun Control".

It's full of swear words so if swearing offends you....don't go there!!!!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #112

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
In all the time I have been in cougar country, I am one of those people that was never fortunate to actually see one. Lots and lots of fresh tracks, especially when ski touring in the winter. They are not referred to as the ghost of the wilderness for nothing.
I have yet to meet a man who has seen a cougar in the wild. I grew up where they were supposedly "prevalent", but never saw a single one, and I spent alot of time in the mountains. If they don't want to be seen, they won't be.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:37 PM   #113

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
I don't resent any law in a foreign country, except the ones that deny basic human rights and dignity. It's their country, and they have a right to pass whatever laws they see fit. I may not "like" their law, but "resentment"? Nah.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #114

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I don't resent any law in a foreign country, except the ones that deny basic human rights and dignity. It's their country, and they have a right to pass whatever laws they see fit. I may not "like" their law, but "resentment"? Nah.
Are you aware there is a law requiring you to pay a $500 fee for a friendship sponsor to come to Canada. I would be willing to sponsor you for when you come to pick up your new Escape, if you wish. Please PM me for address details to send the funds (in the much cheaper Canadian dollar, of course). I will talk to the authorities to insure your safe passage.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #115

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I have camped since the 1950's. In the early years it was for short periods of time - less than two weeks usually. Moving on to the 1960's I found myself camping more and in a variety of places in England, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and the US.

I have never felt threatened by a human or an animal while camping. Never wished I had a gun along. Bears have walked through our campsite and left for richer pickings next door - they had food out on the table, stove top and the ground (in coolers). Having eaten that the bear ripped through their trailer and created havoc inside. It was a young grizzly and it made a horrendous mess. Eventually it wandered away without bothering anyone. The people at the next site were pretty upset though! Mostly other campers weren't sympathetic -we had all been told there were bears in the area and to keep our sites clear of foodstuff.

By the 1970's I was living in close proximity to wilderness. I count myself lucky to have seen almost every possible type of critter - wolves, cougars, lynx, otters, and the smaller stuff like skunk and badger. So far I haven't spotted a wolverine but I live in hope! .
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #116

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Wildlife and stupid campers are a bad mix, detrimental to both. I would suspect that the bear was doomed to do it again, become a nuisance and then be shot in the end, unless relocated, if lucky.

Otherwise, it is interesting to read the reasons to carry or not, explained in a calm way.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #117

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Are you aware there is a law requiring you to pay a $500 fee for a friendship sponsor to come to Canada. I would be willing to sponsor you for when you come to pick up your new Escape, if you wish. Please PM me for address details to send the funds (in the much cheaper Canadian dollar, of course). I will talk to the authorities to insure your safe passage.

That is mighty nice of you Jim-- and a bargain at only 500 CAD.😄

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 02-27-2015, 10:45 PM   #118

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
If you find yourself and a partner on a remote trail and are chased by a hungry bear remember....you do not have to out run the bear...you do however have to out run your partner!!!

Happy Camping!!!
Yeah, but I hike alone. No partner to outrun. Maybe that's why I find comfort in carrying deterrence devices, just in case a situation arises.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy, you will be missed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #119

Registry
I have actually begun to carry bear spray while canoe camping, mostly as a comfort to the wife. Though we have seen a bunch of bears, it has never had to be used. What I like, should it have to be used, is that it is non-lethal. Besides, I hear grizzlies like their meat with a bit of pepper on it.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #120

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
Hi Jim. There are moments that I have regretted starting this thread. I am 65 and have spent many many wonderful nights camping. Also I have shared pots of coffee with many incredible wonderful people. Many that I am still in touch with. I have never felt the need to protect myself nor my camper. I also have never carried any sort of weapon or protection gear with me. I have only recently become interested in boondocking. As I mentioned once I was harassed one night by some drunk deer hunters. As someone mentioned; that alcohol and guns don't mix. Those hunters were all drunk and armed. That was the first time I ever felt threatened while camping. The nearest thing to a weapon that I had that night was an old iron skillet. Well luckily for me and those guys, all ended peacefully. I do have a Tn. carry permit. I took classes and got it only after someone broke into my house three times. I live in a remote mountain area alone. Another sad note is all the drugs and meth labs in my area. While on that drug, people are beyond wild. I have never taken my gun out of my home. I pray that I never feel the need to use it....................I enjoyed my wilderness boondocking camping experience. As I said once before; I am not interested in the remake of the movie Deliverance. I just want to relax and enjoy my outdoor experience. I don't want to go in fear either. After reading so many great responses to my original thread,which I do appreciate everyone's input; I will do as I have always done and that is to just go and have a great time. Unarmed. Again, I want to thank everyone on this forum for their great inputs. Lots of good info to think about. Sincerely, Joe

Sent from my QMV7A using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Tags
boondocking