Boot and cover recommendations? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX scamper View Post
And we just got the call they should be delivering around 9 am tomorrow! So bummed i'll have to wait till 5 to see it after work. Wish I had some vacation to burn so I could wait at home for it
The hatching is happening! And when you get home... there will be a brand new egg just waiting for you. Exciting time! Please post pictures, so we're as excited as you. Coooooooool!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
And we just got the call they should be delivering around 9 am tomorrow! So bummed i'll have to wait till 5 to see it after work. Wish I had some vacation to burn so I could wait at home for it
If you don't have a lock you're happy with I have one I'll sell you pretty cheap. For this one you remove a lug nut, put a small bracket on then there's a bar that goes from lug bracket to edge of tire and around the tire. I've believe made by the same company that make "The Club" for steering wheel locking. You can see the trailer lock here. I see etrailer price is about $90 plus shipping. I'll sell you mine for $30 if you want to drive to Salem to get it.

Most trailer thefts happen in driveways. I've not heard of any problems when in a campground. In hookup I have locking pin that holds the tow bar into the receiver on the tow vehicle. I learned the hard way to always, I mean always put a lock on the hitch latch when I connect it to the tow. In camp I just simply lock the latch closed most of the time. Some times I'll use lock that prevents the hitch from being used.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Today's the day! Can't wait to see pictures...

Per locks:
I bought a three-piece keyed-alike set much like this one- one each for coupler latch, ballmount, and a big honkin' plug-type that goes inside the coupler when unhitched. Link
The set comes with three keys, but I also immediately had a couple of spares made. I keep a whole extra set of car/trailer keys hidden, just in case.

Have fun!

Francesca

Master Lock Keyed Alike Trailer Lock Set Demo - etrailer.com - YouTube
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #18

Name: Gillian
Trailer: SCAMP 13'
Oregon
Oh no! Just got delivered damaged. we may be sending it back ... In middle of this right now. Will post pics later.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #19

Oregon
Oh no! Arrived with damage do we accept it and get it repairs locally or send it back for a new one?!?!? Ahhh! I hate pressure decisions!!!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3882504106.jpg   image-3728200963.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #20

Oregon
Supposedly got blown off the road. I'm worried about non visible damage... Am I being silly? I guess an RV place on the way told the driver the gash was "repairable"....BUT he had the hose section repaired already on the way. Ug.
Attached Thumbnails
image-375293053.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #21

Oregon
Ok. After calling scamp directly with pics Scamp says they should do the repair since it goes down to the wood, if its really repairable. I respect and appreciate that. Phew!
So no scamping for us for awhile. It's headed back to the factory for review and we'll see what happens from there
Glad scamp is being responsible and reasonable though!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #22

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hitch Locks can be two edged sword. If you lose the key for some you could be in big trouble. For that reason we keep a spare key hidden inside our trailer. I'd tell you where we hide it, but then I'd have to order yet another hit and I have already used up this months pre-paid allowance.

Latch locks can usually be bypassed simply by disassembling and reassembling the hitch.
LOL isnt that the truth. Which is why my hitch lock is a combo type - no key required.... now just need to remember the combo. as you say its still very possible just to disassemble the hitch if someone really wanted to take it. Thus the reason the trailer is at home there is normally a car parked in front of it at night. When the trailer has been left someplace else with no security, I have used the heavy chain through the tire trick but to be honest if someone really wanted it they could get that off as well.

No matter what you do if someone decides they really want it they will find away to do it - all you can really do is hope to slow them down & that they make so much noise getting it free to move, that someone notices them and scares them off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Gillian, so sorry to see the damage! Scamp is right thats an ugly spot for a hole in the fiberglass. Its right where your floor meets the wall. The wood you see is the side edge of the floor. In this situation I dont think Scamp really has any choose but to take it back, assuming they arranged the transport.

Was it del'v on a flat bed or towed behind an individual's truck? Looks a little strange for damage due to being blown off the road .... more like someone swung a little to close to a sharp protruding object.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Ok. After calling scamp directly with pics Scamp says they should do the repair since it goes down to the wood, if its really repairable. I respect and appreciate that. Phew!
So no scamping for us for awhile. It's headed back to the factory for review and we'll see what happens from there
Glad scamp is being responsible and reasonable though!

Holy moley...what a shame!

I know Scamp will do the right thing...hope it doesn't take too long.

Francesca
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #25

Oregon
Yeah scamp transported it. Driver was towing it I guess :0/
Accidents happens.
I'm glad they decided to take it back but disappointed the driver (or scamp?) didn't call us yesterday when they were repairing the other quick repair damage from the accident?!? Instead he continued driving from Montana to oregon with it hoping we would just accept it and get the gash repaired locally, I guess?? But then when we call scamp directly with pics they admit they should take it back.
Feeling disappointed in the process so far...but I'm sure Scamp will make it right. I hope
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #26

Registry
Hmmmm....When you say "Scamp transported it", do you mean they contracted with someone, or used an actual Scamp employee?

It would be interesting to know if the driver kept going based on orders from Scamp, because his own (transport company?) boss told him to, or just made the decision on his own. Seems hard to believe that if he'd reported it to Scamp they'd have told him to keep on going and then turn around and have you send it back- ?

Francesca
Old 04-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #27

Oregon
Yeah, I'm not sure. We paid scamp for delivery directly. I suspect scamp didn't know the extent of the gash damage until they talked to my husband and he told them it was down to the wood.... I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Thanks for the hand holding <3

The trailer was towed behind a truck all the way to us. :0/
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure. We paid scamp for delivery directly. I suspect scamp didn't know the extent of the gash damage until they talked to my husband and he told them it was down to the wood.... I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Thanks for the hand holding <3
HINT.
Tell them you don't want your trailer towed. They put mine on a flat bed to deliver. Actually they asked me. I felt it was less likely to get damaged on the truck than somebody towing it. Even then there was some damage, but nothing like yours. It was easy to get fixed locally.

I understand your disappointment.