Boot and cover recommendations? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #21

Name: Gillian
Trailer: SCAMP 13'
Oregon
Ok. After calling scamp directly with pics Scamp says they should do the repair since it goes down to the wood, if its really repairable. I respect and appreciate that. Phew!
So no scamping for us for awhile. It's headed back to the factory for review and we'll see what happens from there
Glad scamp is being responsible and reasonable though!
PDX scamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hitch Locks can be two edged sword. If you lose the key for some you could be in big trouble. For that reason we keep a spare key hidden inside our trailer. I'd tell you where we hide it, but then I'd have to order yet another hit and I have already used up this months pre-paid allowance.

Latch locks can usually be bypassed simply by disassembling and reassembling the hitch.
LOL isnt that the truth. Which is why my hitch lock is a combo type - no key required.... now just need to remember the combo. as you say its still very possible just to disassemble the hitch if someone really wanted to take it. Thus the reason the trailer is at home there is normally a car parked in front of it at night. When the trailer has been left someplace else with no security, I have used the heavy chain through the tire trick but to be honest if someone really wanted it they could get that off as well.

No matter what you do if someone decides they really want it they will find away to do it - all you can really do is hope to slow them down & that they make so much noise getting it free to move, that someone notices them and scares them off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #23

Registry
Gillian, so sorry to see the damage! Scamp is right thats an ugly spot for a hole in the fiberglass. Its right where your floor meets the wall. The wood you see is the side edge of the floor. In this situation I dont think Scamp really has any choose but to take it back, assuming they arranged the transport.

Was it del'v on a flat bed or towed behind an individual's truck? Looks a little strange for damage due to being blown off the road .... more like someone swung a little to close to a sharp protruding object.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #24

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX scamper View Post
Ok. After calling scamp directly with pics Scamp says they should do the repair since it goes down to the wood, if its really repairable. I respect and appreciate that. Phew!
So no scamping for us for awhile. It's headed back to the factory for review and we'll see what happens from there
Glad scamp is being responsible and reasonable though!

Holy moley...what a shame!

I know Scamp will do the right thing...hope it doesn't take too long.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #25

Oregon
Yeah scamp transported it. Driver was towing it I guess :0/
Accidents happens.
I'm glad they decided to take it back but disappointed the driver (or scamp?) didn't call us yesterday when they were repairing the other quick repair damage from the accident?!? Instead he continued driving from Montana to oregon with it hoping we would just accept it and get the gash repaired locally, I guess?? But then when we call scamp directly with pics they admit they should take it back.
Feeling disappointed in the process so far...but I'm sure Scamp will make it right. I hope
Old 04-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #26

Registry
Hmmmm....When you say "Scamp transported it", do you mean they contracted with someone, or used an actual Scamp employee?

It would be interesting to know if the driver kept going based on orders from Scamp, because his own (transport company?) boss told him to, or just made the decision on his own. Seems hard to believe that if he'd reported it to Scamp they'd have told him to keep on going and then turn around and have you send it back- ?

Francesca
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #27

Oregon
Yeah, I'm not sure. We paid scamp for delivery directly. I suspect scamp didn't know the extent of the gash damage until they talked to my husband and he told them it was down to the wood.... I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Thanks for the hand holding <3

The trailer was towed behind a truck all the way to us. :0/
Old 04-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX scamper View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure. We paid scamp for delivery directly. I suspect scamp didn't know the extent of the gash damage until they talked to my husband and he told them it was down to the wood.... I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! Thanks for the hand holding <3
HINT.
Tell them you don't want your trailer towed. They put mine on a flat bed to deliver. Actually they asked me. I felt it was less likely to get damaged on the truck than somebody towing it. Even then there was some damage, but nothing like yours. It was easy to get fixed locally.

I understand your disappointment.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #29

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hitch Locks can be two edged sword. If you lose the key for some you could be in big trouble. For that reason we keep a spare key hidden inside our trailer. I'd tell you where we hide it, but then I'd have to order yet another hit and I have already used up this months pre-paid allowance.
I have partner that always carries a set of keys in her pockets just like I do. No need to hide a key.

Quote:
Latch locks can usually be bypassed simply by disassembling and reassembling the hitch.
This is more work than thiefs are likely to go through and could be discovered in process. I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
We have a Fulton Gorilla Guard on our Lil' BigFoot, and it's fine for our home parking space and at campgrounds. However, I think that it can be easily defeated with brute force and would not suggest using one in a storage area where you might not see your trailer for weeks or months at a time.

BTW: Most storage facilities offer little or no insurance against theft or damage to your trailer when parked therein. Be sure to ask them and your ins company.
1. Most locking devices only dissuade thiefs, if somebody wants it bad enough no amount of locking will totally stop.

2. The OP indicated that the trailer would be stored in their driveway.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #30

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When stored for the winter, the trailer in my drive way has a hitch lock, and one wheel removed, with an axle stand in it's place. Plus, when we shovel the drive way, a big mound goes in front of the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #31

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Oh how disappointing I was thinking of your egg being delivered today. You for sure did the right thing by not accepting it. Hopefully you don't have too long a wait.
I see on the Scamp site they say "Scamp provides its own shipping service to insure fast and damage free delivery. "
They also say trailers in stock for immediate delivery so might be worth asking if they can send another out asap.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #32

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
One of the best security when parked outside is YES!, remove the wheels & put it on blocks. I'm lucky as I can park inside the garage just need to put small 8 inch wheels on to clear the doorway.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #33

Oregon
Well, scamp said they are sending out a new trailer in a week or 2. Phew!
(Now I wish my husband had written down the vin # on the busted one so I was extra confident it is new, ) but we're pleased it won't be months and that they were reasonable since it was their driver's bad calls.

Thanks for the hand holding team!!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #34

Registry
Gillian didn't any of the paper work Scamp sent you re the sale have the VIN number on it?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #35

Registry
Hooray!

Glad to hear Scamp stepped up to the plate, Gillian. And a whole new trailer... very impressive display of Customer service. As far as I'm concerned, this one goes down in the books as an important reference to be passed on to other prospective customers

Depending on your satisfaction with the outcome, of course- please do keep us posted.

Francesca
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #36

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
wow! gillian, it is very unfortunate that your trailer arrived so damaged.

but i agree, i'd be worried that it might not be a new trailer being sent to me, but the repaired one back again. i know that sounds silly but i'd be leery, too.

however, what matters is that you are satisfied with it once it arrives...and that you end up being satisfied with scamp's customer service. we all await your next post to fill us in on how the delivery goes.

good luck!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #37

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
I agree with Byron, be adamant that SCAMP send it on a flat bed trailer. What a shame but it does appear that SCAMP is doing the right thing. You have been given alot of good anti theft suggestions.
Good luck with the new one when you get delivery and welcome to the world of Fiberglass.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #38

Oregon
No vin #'s on any papers and my husband didn't think to write them down during the first delivery attempt. Oh well. I asked hubs to check on the flat bed situation as we would much prefer that after hearing from you all!

We got some nice locks and such based on everyone's recommendations. You're all the best.

We'll post pictures of the new one when it arrives <3