Brand New Trillium Outback 2017 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Trilluim Outback
British Columbia
Posts: 6
Brand New Trillium Outback 2017

We just took delivery of our Trillium Outback trailer, made in Calgary Alberta. We ordered her last January and she took longer than anticipated to be built - several promised delivery dates came and went. Apart from the wait, this trailer and the delivery process far exceeded our expectations. We inadvertently ended up towing her home to Vancouver BC in a severe winter blizzard, literally driving through mountain passes as the roads were closed behind us. We have a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and the trailer pulled like a dream behind the truck.

Because we dropped into the Outback factory last summer we learned wood cabinets and custom gel coat were options, hence the knotty alder and retro yellow colour. We had an old Triple E trailer when we raised our three boys which we called "Mr. Mustard". Now that it's just the two of us, "Mrs. Mustard" seems palatial!

Although we initially considered the toilet floor plan, we changed to the dinette model so we can leave the bed made up most of the time. There is a port-a-pottie for emergencies (under the dinette drawer) but we never used the one we had in the old trailer.

Joe added several convenient options, including a port for charging electronics, several conventional plugs, rock guard paint on the entire lower exterior. He patiently went over all the features and systems on the trailer and loaned us a license plate until we could get to BC and obtain insurance. When we lost a battery cover on the way home, Joe quickly mailed us a replacement.

Here are many pictures of our beauty. She has a hot/cold outdoor shower, fantastic fan, large stainless sink and fancy stove. The blinds have velcro to secure them in place when down and they go up automatically. We picked out the upholstery fabric and it is really good quality. We have 14" wheels for extra clearance; they are pretty fancy too!

We took Mr. Mustard up to the Yukon and down to San Diego - plan to retrace our steps in Mrs. Mustard (maybe wait until a change in the USA political situation before heading south). We hoped to have her for our trip to Newfoundland last summer so a repeat trip to the Canadian East Coast will be much more comfortable now - a luxurious upgrade to sleeping under the truck canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2677.jpg   IMG_2678.jpg  

Attached Images
        
__________________

__________________
Bruce Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Anne H's Avatar
 
Name: Anne
Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Oregon
Posts: 465
Registry
Sweet!!
__________________

__________________
Anne H and Fay Wray, the cat | Portland, OR
en Plein Air (2016 19' Escape; 2016 Honda Pilot )
http://rightbrainrightlane.blogspot.com/
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gilles's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Posts: 582
Registry
Congratulations to you two!
__________________
Gilles
Bigfoot 15B17G.
Towed with Dodge Journey 2012, 3.6 L., 6 speeds.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #4
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 3,944
Evolution?

Great pictures. I can't help but notice the differences between your Outback and my California made Trillium. It's my understanding that at one time they were one company. Since the split each manufacturer has made slight changes. Mine has a different door threshold. The rear reflectors near the belly band are gone. On yours they have corrected the door misalignment. And of course they have different windows. Inside, I have shelves across the back and front that are rather flimsy. Your shelves seem more substantial.

Glad you got your new trailer safely home. Now you can start to plan your summer. Safe travels, Raz

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170216_054959.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	102999
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,537
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rhodes View Post
We just took delivery of our Trillium Outback trailer, made in Calgary Alberta. We ordered her last January and she took longer than anticipated to be built - several promised delivery dates came and went. Apart from the wait, this trailer and the delivery process far exceeded our expectations. We inadvertently ended up towing her home to Vancouver BC in a severe winter blizzard, literally driving through mountain passes as the roads were closed behind us.
Congrats on a great looking trailer. Not the first time Trillium Outback has been behind schedule, but they always seem to produce. I have enjoyed dealing with them for parts and service.

We came the opposite way with our ne Escape 5.0TA a couple weeks ago, but were blessed with perfect winter driving conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rhodes View Post
(maybe wait until a change in the USA political situation before heading south).
This is a great time to head south, and we fully plan on doing so a bunch in the coming years. Lots of great people and places to see in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
It's my understanding that at one time they were one company.
They were never affiliated at all. The only business they did together was Joe Thoen sold Tom Young some forms, and for a short bit did make some shells for him, but that did not work out.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #6
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post


They were never affiliated at all. The only business they did together was Joe Thoen sold Tom Young some forms, and for a short bit did make some shells for him, but that did not work out.

Come on Jim, I read it on the Internet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Originally made in Markham, Ontario. Then Ramblin Ind. made them for a time in the 90's in Alberta.

In 2002, Trilliums where again being made in Alberta and are still being made there but with the new name Outback - after two partners had a bit of a falling out (around 2005?) and the guys in Alberta lost the right to use the Trillium name ..... or so the story goes.

Due to the failing out one partner started having them made in the US, at various locations in the US from about 2005 to 2015? Escape Trailers in Chilliwack BC also built them under contract in about 2008/9? with the name Trillium on them. Around late 2013 the US company was sold to another RV manufacturer Great West Vans and the trailers where being built in Manitoba for a couple of years under the name SideKick before the company moving south to Alabama in early 2015? and where the company was called Sterling RV & the trailers once again had the Trillium name on them. The Alabama plant closed it doors in late summer or early spring last year - I haven't heard if they are back in biz or not

If you share the VIN with David it would be pretty easy to see where it fits into the current list to see what year it may actually be.

It is not at all uncommon for older trailers to have the wrong model year on their registration papers. Sometimes older than the new owner thinks but it can also be much newer as well.
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Member
 
kkinna's Avatar
 
Name: Kim
Trailer: Escape 15A
California
Posts: 41
Registry
Very nice. Love the paint job.
__________________
Name Kim
Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A "Seascape"
Tow Vehicle: Ford 150 XLT 2.5 EcoBoost
California Bay Area
kkinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Tim
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Posts: 26
Good for you, we'll watching for it on the road and in campgrounds !
__________________
Tim from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 4,537
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Come on Jim, I read it on the Internet.
Gotsta be true then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Originally made in Markham, Ontario. Then Ramblin Ind. made them for a time in the 90's in Alberta.

In 2002, Trilliums where again being made in Alberta and are still being made there but with the new name Outback - after two partners had a bit of a falling out (around 2005?) and the guys in Alberta lost the right to use the Trillium name ..... or so the story goes.

Due to the failing out one partner started having them made in the US, at various locations in the US from about 2005 to 2015? Escape Trailers in Chilliwack BC also built them under contract in about 2008/9? with the name Trillium on them. Around late 2013 the US company was sold to another RV manufacturer Great West Vans and the trailers where being built in Manitoba for a couple of years under the name SideKick before the company moving south to Alabama in early 2015? and where the company was called Sterling RV & the trailers once again had the Trillium name on them. The Alabama plant closed it doors in late summer or early spring last year - I haven't heard if they are back in biz or not

If you share the VIN with David it would be pretty easy to see where it fits into the current list to see what year it may actually be.

It is not at all uncommon for older trailers to have the wrong model year on their registration papers. Sometimes older than the new owner thinks but it can also be much newer as well.
Most of this is quite accurate, but Joe and Tom were never partners. Joe sold moulds to Tom. Tom applied for the right to the name and got it, I don't believe Joe ever did try.

Escape was building 13' Trilliums for Tom Young in 2008/2009 as Carol mentioned. I saw a couple when I picked up my 2009 19 in May, but Escape quit making them shortly after, having enough on their plate with increased production of their own trailers.

I haven't talked to Joe in over a year, but am going to pop out there one of these days to pick up a couple things from him for my daughter's Trillium 1300.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (January 26)
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 3,944
It's unfortunate that neither operation produced many trailers. The Trillium is a very well thought out design. I had high hopes that Great West would make a go of it. Oh well, sooner or later those molds will show up again. About the time I'm ready for a new trailer, I hope.
__________________

__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ON | 2017, Sept 15-17: Niagara Wine Escape 2017 Alf S. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) 36 08-16-2017 10:00 AM
CA | 2017, May 4-8: 14th Annual 2017 FiberglassRV Rally Anne3358 Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 16 06-20-2017 08:18 AM
ON | 2017, May 26-27: EggFestOntario 2017 Vivian L Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 11 06-01-2017 05:58 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.