Brendan - Alberta YYC - 1976 Ventura Reno - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Name: Brendan
Trailer: 1976 Ventura
Alberta
Thumbs up Brendan - Alberta YYC - 1976 Ventura Reno

Evening Fiberglass Patrons,
Recently picked up a 76 Ventura from Edmonton, Alberta. I'm renovating it for a Calgary bean roasting company - the owner is using it for a mobile roaster as well as live-in trailer.

I'm going to need some friends on here - so far I've seen allot of helpful conversations.

Anyone in Alberta worked on a Ventura? I heard theirs a bunch of you in Airdire that work on these bad guys....

A few questions to start off as I'm completing a take-off for this client. I supposed allot of these questions can be clarified by Boler enthusiasts also:
1. I'm having my exterior panels supplied by RV Siding out in Edmonton (mill finished top - cut to spec - and custom pastel green lower - etc. etc. blah blah). Does anyone have experience with them or do you recommend another supplier within Canada?
2. Regarding the AC Unit - I want everyone here to speak up - recommendations for a unit this size? We have a few considered but I want everyones brains in on this one.
3. Hot Water Heater - as above - recommendations? We were considering the ECO Temp L10 Tankless (purchased from Amazon for $227.23)
4. Heating System. As above - recommendations? We're considering the PROPEX HS2000 Blown Air Heater (purchased from PROPEX for $837.00)

We'll be running a solar system also and all that jazz - will have to be something mighty with this compact coffee roaster.

I'm probably going to get my wrists slapped for such a long post in the "Hi I am...." thread, so my apologies in advance. I'll start snooping the site.

My names Brendan - nice to meet y'all
Attached Thumbnails
Ventura Ext. 5.jpg   Ventura Ext. 4.jpg  

Ventura Ext. 6.jpg   Ventura Ext. 3.jpg  

OPPHND Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Welcome aboard. I built up a 76 Ventura a few years ago up here in Edmonton. I am trying to wrap my head around what you are doing. What are you using the exterior panels on? Its a fiberglass shell that doesn't need an exterior skin. are you talking about a body wrap?

Word of warning, the roof does need support and has to be arched upwards about 2" in the middle. The closet that was beside the door supported some of it and without it you will have a problem.

Check the floor for rot, replace the bolts holding it to the frame, check for cracks in the shell especially above the rear window. These trailers are know for holding water in spaces under the floor under where the fridge used to be and under the beds.

I see that someone has glassed the center joint and that is something I would have done if I knew that the belly band covered the fact the two halves was just screwed together.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
welcome

welcome Brandon like the other poster I don't see the need for what you are thinking on the outside I would just work on the finish you have and roll a paint job on.

yes to ceiling support you are going to have some big problems. the inside need a foam layer applied then I would suggest naugahyde.

this is all going to take a bit

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Name: Brendan
Trailer: 1976 Ventura
Alberta
Bob / Dudley,
Thanks to both of you for jumping on my post.
I understand where you're both coming from regarding our siding proposal as well as the stock roof assembly and its faults.

JUST why we did our research and bought off the seller specifically.

The man we purchased this off of completed basically everything we're talking about here. The roof has been re-framed and sealed so its - structurally speaking - able to withstand more weight than even the floor. We had three of us standing up their. Floor / walls / trailer etc. have all been reno'd, fiberglassed etc. The body / chassis / trailer etc are in great condition.

Now - lets not migrate the discussion from my initial post - I've done my lagwork here gentlemen! As for the exterior - not for discussion - we completed this for a previous client, its for their business aesthetic, just havent supplied from the RV Siding gentleman in edmonton. I know outwardly it sound tedious but the results have always been outstanding.

Any answers to my initial questions regarding the modern units (A/C, Water Heating, etc. ) would be appreciated. Thanks again boys.

B.
OPPHND Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The issue with the water heater you mention is the minimum mounting
Clearance Requirements (at least):
  • Outdoor use only
  • 2" clearance from wall
  • 12" on both sides from anything flammable
  • 36" from any window, overhand, awning
  • 18" from the ground
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #6

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
brendan YYC

Hey Brendan, we've been using the L110 for 4 or 5 years at our family reunions (60 plus people) for both dish washing and showers. We just hang it off the side if the shop and moving it is very easy as the whole thing is just mounted to a sheet of 3/4 ply, pump, battery and 2 watt solar panel. The battery is a small 10 AH SLA. If you're on city water then you won't need the pump etc. The plywood is spaced from the heater by a couple of 1X4's, simple farmer stuff. We had to pre-set and lock the temp setting to prevent the darwinian trophy seekers from scalding themselves as this outfit delivers seriously HOT water!! However the unit itself does not even get warm, so no threat to by- standers. Also a 1 lb bottle of propane is good for a 5 day weekend. Princess Auto has a suitable adapter hose. Cheers. W.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

Alberta
Brendan YYC

Hi again, as for the AC have you considered a mini-split unit? Lots of advantages: no roof loading, low starting surge means a small gennie is all you need, very quiet, a mounting for the inside gubbins can be incorporated into your interior build if you don't want to hang it off the inside wall. The outside bit will fit on the trailer tongue. You could even mount the L110 above it!! A suitable combo bracket would be very simple to fabricate as the two pieces are similar in size. Cheers. W.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:12 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
as far as the heater goes, the propex is a nice unit and a few folks have installed them in Casita's but I am still using a suburban NE12 in mine. I looked at them but a bit to pricey. You don't need many btu's in this animal and i would run our old furnace on its lowest setting and still be nice and toasty. I don't know of any Ventura's that have been modded in the ways you want to but that being said , jump on in with both feet. The frame on these are pretty strong and it has a 3500lb axle . Looks like its gutted so you have a blank canvas. The Ventura doesn't have the appeal that say a Boler does but it is very easy to install a new interior to your liking as the flat walls are easy to work with and the headroom is great!Here is my rebuild thread
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #9

Alberta
Cool brendan YYC

Me again. Did I mention that the mini splits also have a heating coil. W.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hello, I am also a fan of tankless on-demand water heaters. I do not have experience with the ECO temp. It could be mounted to a board outside.

Search YouTube videos as well. There's a wide range of solar installs, and some tankless water heater installs. I understand you are dealing with a coffee roaster. But solar air conditioning videos maybe comparable.

Here's a 960 watt install, before they switched to sailing:

Another, AC from solar?

How to soften peak power draw surges - 16,000 BTU - sailing:

If you are roasting coffee, you may want tips on staying cool.
At 5:07 in this video, look at the light colored fly pitched behind the U-Haul trucks above a tent. It provides shade, requires no energy, and has an air gap between it and the tent roof, ideally. Light colors work best.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
If you are roasting coffee, you may want tips on staying cool.
At 5:07 in this video, look at the light colored fly pitched behind the U-Haul trucks above a tent. It provides shade, requires no energy, and has an air gap between it and the tent roof, ideally. Light colors work best.
This is a system I use with my boler, notice the "umbrella" over the boler. The silvered material reflects the heat & the air gap works great. Size is 7' x 11'
Attached Thumbnails
P1080492.jpg   P1080493.jpg  

P1080491.jpg  
Old 03-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Ian,
Perfect solution (for some). I did not see these on your website.

But I found them on another site, apparently yours. How to order is in the comments.
SUNCLOSE Roof Umbrella – Product Review – Boler.ca

Here is one source, there may be others. US $103, not bad.
Ad says it fits full size sebans? Says it boosts fuel economy too, but I don't recommend driving with it up.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Car.../dp/B01DK09GGA
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Ian,
Perfect solution (for some). I did not see these on your website.

But I found them on another site, apparently yours. How to order is in the comments.
SUNCLOSE Roof Umbrella – Product Review – Boler.ca

Here is one source, there may be others. US $103, not bad.
Ad says it fits full size sebans? Says it boosts fuel economy too, but I don't recommend driving with it up.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Car.../dp/B01DK09GGA
That is the unit Tom, much more $$ getting it here in Canada, I brought in 2 units thinking I might sell them but they are just too bulky to keep any sort of inventory. I also forgot I wrote a product review on my website SUNCLOSE Roof Umbrella – Product Review – Boler.ca

Tags
ventura