Buying an EggCamper? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #15

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Hi Jason. I live in Grand Rapids so I visited as I was starting to investigate fiberglass trailers. I liked the construction he uses to minimize potential leaks. I second all the comments on Jim Palmer being a good guy to work with. We are both engineers and hit it off immediately. I searched for months for a used eggcamper but couldn't find one so we bought a used 13' Scamp primarily for cost reasons (the lighter weight is nice also). I'm on the tall side also and liked the eggcamper's wider and taller dimensions. I have used some of the ideas from that camper in modifying my Scamp. I have not visited any other manufacturers so take my comments with a grain of salt. I have heard good things about the other manufacturers as well. It seems the fiberglass culture attracts some good people. Each camper has its own strengths and you have to find what fits you best. Personally I'd do some research on all the major brands and if you still like the eggcamper, call Jim and see if you could arrange a visit with an option to buy. If you want to see a Scamp when you come out let me know because we are close (but there has to be a Scamp closer to you than I am). Eggcampers do seem to be more rare than Scamps or Casitas.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #16

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,first off its worth the trip just to visit michigan.

mr.palmer is a good man, and builds a good product at Eggcamper.
they are a little bigger and heavier then the scamp, so your tow vehicle might be a deciding factor. it was for me. i went with a new scamp. for the reason your already finding,,,hard to find a good used one out there.
and when you do, they hold their value. so i went ahead and ordered a new one from scamp. i just picked mine up a few weeks ago and its a 14 hour drive over there from my area.
we gave ourselves three days to come home so we could relax and see the sights.
if you decide to get a new one, i would plan a nice vacation around it. take your time going out and even more time comming home.
you will not be sorry if you buy exactly what you want. only if you settle for less.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #17

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I wanted a fiberglass trailer for many years, but being 6' 4" tall I couldn't bring myself to buy one in which I would have to stay stooped over when standing. When I discovered the EggCamper I put down a deposit without ever having seen one in real life. My wife was hesitant because she is somewhat claustrophobic and always felt "closed in" in the other brands of eggs she had been in. We traveled from Florida to the factory to examine our prospective purchase - Mr. Palmer told us that if after looking it over, if we didn't like it for any reason, he would refund our deposit. No need to worry, this was the first "egg" in which my wife didn't feel so "cozy" that she "didn't have room to move," (her exact words). She even felt claustrophobic in the 19' Escape, so rest assured that her problem with the tightness of most eggs isn't shared by very many people on this site - including me.

We both love the openness of the EggCamper; it's 8" wider and 4" higher inside than the big Scamp or Casita. As far as weight goes, I doubt if it weighs any more than the big Scamp, especially the one with the optional wood cabinets, but I don't know of anyone who has actually weighed an EggCamper so the comparison is just a guess. At the one egg rally we attended the universal comment made by all visitors was "it's so big inside!" One person even said "you could dance in here."

Consider the type of camping you will do. If you would like to stay at places that don't have electric hook-ups, you will be handicapped with an all-electric camper. Here in the South all the state parks seem to have electricity so it isn't a problem for us. There are work-arounds, but if I was doing much boon-docking, primitive camping, or parking at Walmart parking lots, and wasn't very tall, I would seriously consider another brand - especially one with propane.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the campers mentioned, but I highly recommend you think long and hard about it, and if possible, visit some before making up your mind.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Propane/Eggcamper

Jim Palmer emailed me about 6 PDF files not that long ago. On the sheet dated 12/1/11, 2012 Eggcamper 17' it list in the options, a propane kit and if I remember right it was about $950.00 and also listed the other options, water heater, stovetop, etc. that could be ordered but required this propane kit. If anyone is interested, send him an email and he can forward you these files like he did for me because they do go into more detail than what you see on the website. If you look through the photo section of the website, I fell in love with the owner one pictured with the red quilted accessories - it is beyond fantastic!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Zorro,
I'm in NH and have 2007 EggCamper. If you'd like to see an EggCamper, send me a PM and we can arrange a viewing.
Ron
Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Jim Palmer emailed me about 6 PDF files not that long ago. On the sheet dated 12/1/11, 2012 Eggcamper 17' it list in the options, a propane kit and if I remember right it was about $950.00 and also listed the other options, water heater, stovetop, etc. that could be ordered but required this propane kit. If anyone is interested, send him an email and he can forward you these files like he did for me because they do go into more detail than what you see on the website. If you look through the photo section of the website, I fell in love with the owner one pictured with the red quilted accessories - it is beyond fantastic!
That was mine, "Nest Egg' a 2007 model I bought from the Bergers in Michigan and sold it last year to a couple in Georgia.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Zorro,
I'm in NH and have 2007 EggCamper. If you'd like to see an EggCamper, send me a PM and we can arrange a viewing.
Ron
It just doesn't get any better than that! Right in your home state.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That was mine, "Nest Egg' a 2007 model I bought from the Bergers in Michigan and sold it last year to a couple in Georgia.
Compliments to the decorator. It just needed a "There's No Place Like Home" plaque. I see the greatest advantage of the Eggcamper to be that it is a blank slate.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #23

Registry
Zorro,
As SilverGhost mentioned, an EggCamper is a perfect platform for modifications. So, if you decide to take a look at mine, you'll need to understand that I've taken advantage of that aspect of the EggCamper. Living in the north, where state and federal parks do not have electric hookups, I've added solar and propane to my EggCamper. I've also done several other modifications that seemed to fit my needs.

I initially bought a Honda 2000 generator, used it once and then left it home. Parks restrict the use of a generator to specific hours of operation, and frankly, I didn't like the noise. So, I added solar. Then for camping in the early spring/late fall in the north, I wanted some heat. So, I added a propane furnace, and then a propane/electric combo water heater.

But, if you come to look, I'll explain what was in the original stock unit in 2007. I know that Jim Palmer is always making changes, so even my stock unit may not be exactly what he's producing these days. What won't change is the interior space, which is great.

Ron
Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #24

Name: Jason
Trailer: Shopping
New Hampshire
Thanks Ron,

I appreciate your help. Nice to know there are egg enthusiasts here in NH. I'm thinking that I am going to need a propane upgrade at the very least.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #25

Registry
Jason,
I like to think of it as the cost of living in NH... along with property taxes and various fees. Thankfully, no sales tax and no income tax.

Let me know if you want to see and EggCamper in person.
Ron

Tags
eggcamper