Canuck east coast. First trailer. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #15

Name: Lawrence
Trailer: Bigfoot
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
The 21' is one foot eight inches longer than the 19' and four inches wider. The difference in the interior, however, is very great due to placement of the bed and bath.
Do you notice much difference towing your 21' compared to the 19' it replaced, using the same tow vehicle? I'm wondering in particular about mpg, backing into tight spots, etc.

My experience with work trailers is that fuel economy, at least, depends mostly on frontal area, not length or even weight. I wouldn't expect the 21 to be much harder to tow than the 19, but I'm curious about real experiences.

The idea of more usable space is appealing if there are few/no downsides.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:33 PM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Do you notice much difference towing your 21' compared to the 19' it replaced, using the same tow vehicle? I'm wondering in particular about mpg, backing into tight spots, etc.

My experience with work trailers is that fuel economy, at least, depends mostly on frontal area, not length or even weight. I wouldn't expect the 21 to be much harder to tow than the 19, but I'm curious about real experiences.

The idea of more usable space is appealing if there are few/no downsides.
I stopped looking as gas mileage a long time ago as we were getting 16-17 mpg with our 19' probably mostly due to driving slower than others and avoiding interstates. We went through the Canadian Rockies coming back with the 21' and I figured the mpgs would be bad so didn't care to know!

We also use the TV much more than towing the trailer. One big trip I checked, our TV miles were double the towing, as we see the sights all day most days. I expect we are usually getting maybe two mpgs less with the 21' but have not looked --- mainly because it does not matter. We get what we get! I suppose I will look at it some time but just don't even worry about it anymore. Others report lower mileage than what we had with the 4Runner and 19'. Speed has much to do with it.

Backing, the only difference we notice is that we might be slightly better at backing than before, as we are basically the pits at it. Sometimes we go in easily and other times, it takes us forever, and the spot itself seems to have little to do with it, other than the really big easy ones or obvious problem ones. Oh, we do like pull-throughs! Cannot tell any difference with the 21'. Less than two feet onto 20' is not noticeable. Both tandem axles.