Casita 16' and Trillium/Sidekick 15' to look at in New England/Eastern NY? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Casita 16' and Trillium/Sidekick 15' to look at in New England/Eastern NY?

Good Morning,

We are looking for an owner of a 16' Casita (2000 or newer) and 15' Trillium/Sidekick (2010 or newer) that would be willing to show it to us. We'd like to find a unit that is located within about 75-100 miles of the Springfield, Massachusetts/Hartford, Ct area. Neither Casita nor Trillium/Sidekick has anyone in this area on their list with a 16' model. We are seriously shopping for a Fiberglass RV in the 15-16' range.

We missed the Copake, NY (about 70 miles from here) get together in October. Would have driven over there to check out all the nice Fiberglass Trailers, if I had known about it sooner.

Hope to be a Fiberglass Trailer owner soon!

Thank-You
Mark & Linda Casey
Hampden, Massachusetts
please reply, email
or call
413-566-8118 days 8am-6pm
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Phone numbers

Welcome to the blog. However, a little hint.
It is not a good idea to list your phone number.
If you must, write it out.

four one three- five six six- eight one one eight

Prevents computers set up to search for ten digit numbers from finding yours.

Moderator: Can you help Coast Signal here?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
White pages of phone books are full of phone numbers.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:39 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
White pages of phone books are full of phone numbers.

You are correct Glenn but not with an interest or question with it to possibly invite a scammers call.
Most of the time you see phone #'s or emails addresses on this site it's a newbie that doesn't know about or how to use PM's.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The Copake rally was a year ago, October 2013. We have a Casita 17 and a Uhaul 13 and are about an hour from Springfield MA, and a few miles off I90 just into NY. However neither trailer will be available to look at until mid March 2015. You are welcome to visit at that time.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #6

Western Massachusetts
Hi Mary & Bob,
Thanks for the offer. We have looked at a 17' Casita near Springfield, but we are only looking at buying the 16' and would like to look at a 16' to see the differences. Would like to see if the 5'10" interior height in the 16' would be adequate and how the 1' less in length would affect the trailer in general.
Thank-You
Mark
Old 11-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #7

Western Massachusetts
Hi Roger,
I see you are towing with a 2014 Outback. We are planning or towing a 15' Triilium or 16' (lightly loaded) Casita with the same vehicle. Any comments?
Thank-You
Mark
Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
the recent thread Trying to Decide would be a good read if you going to tow with an Outback.

Trailer Weight In The Real World is another great thread to review.

You should also be aware that although Trilliums are great little trailers some folks were not happy with the quality of those that were built after the company moved the production into the USA - for a number of years (prior to being called a Sidekick) being made a various locations in the US. Sorry can't recall the year but pretty sure 2009 and onwards to about 2013 covers that time frame. They are now being made by another company Great West and called the Sidekick and quality once again appears it maybe back in line with older models previously made in Canada. You can by the way still purchase a new one out of Canada but they are called an Outback now. The webpage is www.trilliumtrailers.com.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post

We are looking for an owner of a 16' Casita (2000 or newer) and 15' Trillium/Sidekick (2010 or newer) that would be willing to show it to us. We'd like to find a unit that is located within about 75-100 miles of the Springfield, Massachusetts/Hartford, Ct area. Neither Casita nor Trillium/Sidekick has anyone in this area on their list with a 16' model.
BTW I seem to think it was not until mid 2013 or so that Great West Vans started to make the Sidekick in a 15' version so you will probable have a real hard time finding one used.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #10

Western Massachusetts
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the threads. "Trying to decide" was very helpful. I've seen the weight thread a while back, and scrutinized the weights over and over. Thanks for reminding me to look at it again. That real world weights list really helps. We want to go with a lower weight unit, so we have some "headroom" for just a few of our own personal items.

The main reason why the Subaru Outback is limited for tongue weight is because of the carrying and strength (or lack thereof) of the unibody frame of the car. The engine will pull much more than the 2700# rated but, A real good reason not to exceed that rating is safety. I've seen trailers get in situation where any one of or a combination of, a sharp curve, winds, too high a speed, or a flat/low pressure tire on the trailer causes the tow vehicle to go out of control or almost go out of control.

On a few of the threads on the various Fiberglass RV sites, There are some folks towing with a Outback's, even with the earlier models. The 2010 models and newer are quite a bit larger and wider, so they are more apt to handle a tow even though the tow capacity remained the same as the older models (2700#/3000#)--probably due to the unibody frame design being similar to the older model. Looks like you are now towing with a pickup, but, how was your experience towing with the Outback and what model year was it?

Now, If we purchased a Trillium Outback, we'd have an Outback pulling an Outback-Ha! But, I think it will be a new Trillium 15'. The weight looks to be quite a bit lower than the Casita 16 without giving up much.

We plan to travel light so, any and all comments on towing with the Subaru Outback or about the 2010 or newer Trillium will be appreciated. We have a Tahoe to tow with also, but would like to economize with the Outback if possible.

Thank-You
Mark
Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Hi Carol,

The main reason why the Subaru Outback is limited for tongue weight is because of the carrying and strength (or lack thereof) of the unibody frame of the car. The engine will pull much more than the 2700# rated but, A real good reason not to exceed that rating is safety. <cut>

The 2010 models and newer are quite a bit larger and wider, so they are more apt to handle a tow even though the tow capacity remained the same as the older models (2700#/3000#)--probably due to the unibody frame design being similar to the older model. Looks like you are now towing with a pickup, but, how was your experience towing with the Outback and what model year was it?

Mark I honestly don't believe that the larger newer model Outbacks will do any better at towing a trailer close to the cars max towing specs than earlier years with the same tow ratings. The 2011 for example has only 60lb more curb weight but it has the same engine as my 07 does! Not really all that much bigger after 2010 either. 2011 is only 2" wider than the 07 and 0.3" longer It does have slightly more horse power but not enough to make a big difference in regards to power. For example the torque for the 2011 was 170 @ 4000 vs the 2007 at 169 @ 4400...... not really going to make a real big difference when pulling over a big mountain pass. But what you will find on the newer ones that wasn't on the pre 2010's is a new transmission..... the CVT which some would suggest is still a little unproven in regards to longevity when towing.

Trust me, just because something has a larger platform it does not translate to a better more solid tow. If the newer Outbacks had way bigger engines than you might have better results but a bigger body does not translate to better stability. There are many different factors that go into determining what pairings of tow vehicle and trailer make a good stabile tow. I never had any stability issues pulling with my Outback a well balanced Scamp with the correct hitch set up. In fact it would probable surprise a few as to just how stable a tow it was in some pretty extreme weather conditions. Only issues I had with the Outback was lack of power and the inability to keep within the 200lb tongue weight limit - ran at between 40-50lbs over the tongue spec in order to achieve a good solid tow. Carried no rear passengers and little in the back of the car to make up for that. It was not until I was in the 4th year of towing with it when it had about 40,000 miles on it that little problems that I had not had with previous Outback started to pop up - by the six year and at 60,000 miles on the car the bills were mounting.... only thing that I never had an issue with funny enough is/was the transmission!

I have owned 4 Outbacks and love them but I can say based on my past experience with the others that I never towed with that without any doubt the wear and tear of pulling a trailer close to its max specs was a BIG issue.

It would also take some convincing for me to believe the reason for the Subaru's towing specs is due to the Unibody. There are a number of vehicles out there now that are Unibody with much higher tow specs. I think Subaru keeps the numbers low because they know how they built it and what their cars can handle based on driving conditions in NA . Based on my personal experience I don't believe they are wrong and I would not load it up any more than what I did - even though I was under its total tow cap. Had I known what the actual loaded weight of my trailer was before I purchased it (no real world trailer weight thread at the time) I never would have purchased the trailer.

Suspect the truth is simple that Subaru wants to be sure you can stop the car and trailer when traveling at NA speed limits (higher than Europe) should your trailer brakes fail. They also want to make sure you do not destroy the engine and transmission by pulling to heavy of a trailer over a big mountain pass at NA speeds.

Actually did not want to buy a truck! Which is why I did not stop towing with the Subaru sooner to that point if I had the $$$'s I would have instead bought the much smaller VW Touareg. I just keep buying LOTTO tickets and hope my numbers come up one of these days Actually had to do a fair bit of adjusting of my set up to get the truck to pull as well as the Outback did at freeway speed with a heavy side wind... not even all that sure at this point if the truck will proved as stable at towing as the Outback was in real heavy winter side winds...

Think if you go with the 15' Sidekick you will be sorry - don't believe it will be any lighter on the tongue or the axle than my lightly loaded 16' Side Bath Scamp is. A good rule of thumb is to add about 6-700lbs to any dry weight the manufacture provides you. As I said in the other thread I believe strongly based on real life experience that the Outback is best towing a lighter 13' trailers.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #12

Western Massachusetts
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the details!
I'm surprised that your towing experience with the Outback was very good, that is, except for the eventual need for repairs. The 13'ers are not for us. I don't know which trailer we will end up with but it will probably be a 15', 16'. I am even going to look at a used Egg camper, and that's a 17', but much lighter than the Casita 17'-(The 17' Casita is not on our list). And, Air resistance is a big concern of mine, both traveling forward and with winds coming from the side.

We have a Chev. Tahoe that we may use for towing also. But, my plans are to add very little to the trailer and to weight the trailer before we go and try it with the Outback. I'm already planning on no more than 55 mph and a slow easy ascent if we go out west into the Rocky Mountains. And, I'm going to avoid any extremes. I've driven out there before, so I have an idea of where to go and where not to go.

Everything ounce be scrutinized right down to how many socks-ha! That weight list was real helpful.

Just a note on unibody. There are all types and strengths unibody designs. Manufacturers want to get better mileage so the metal gauges are closely engineered. The metal strength to the rear of the rear axle on passenger vehicles is almost always less than that within the wheelbase and will limit the towing capacity. Even a minor towing sway incident could bend the unibody on an Outback, and probably many other vehicles. I just installed the trailer hitch on our 2014 Outback, and after my closeup look at the design at the rear, I fully understand why the tow capacity is rated as it is. If I can't get the weight to stay well below the 2700#/3000# rated and the tongue to be close to the 200# limit, then we'll have to use the Tahoe.

Thanks again for the info. Hope we can meet with you on the road sometime!
Mark
Old 11-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the details!
I'm surprised that your towing experience with the Outback was very good, that is, except for the eventual need for repairs.
you seem to have forgotten the parts about the lack of power and the problems of the low tongue weight spec...
Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Did something bad happen prior to the year 2000 for Trilliums that I don't know about?

I do try to keep track of this stuff...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Did something bad happen prior to the year 2000 for Trilliums that I don't know about?

I do try to keep track of this stuff...
Donna you know everything!!! pretty sure you know that there was a parting of the ways with the two partners at Trillium in Calgary and one took off with the Trillium name to the south (may have been about 1998?) and the other stayed in Canada and kept producing the trailer under the name Outback. As the party in the US did not have their own plant they used various sub contracts to have the Trillium trailers produced. For about a year Escape trailers here in Canada was producing the Trillium for them.... put in about 1999 or 2000? they subcontracted the builds out to various places in the US.... some parties here who purchased trailers built in the US in that time frame where not overly happy with the quality of the trailers they purchased during that time ... all better now that Great West Vans owns the right to the name Trillium and is doing the actual builds.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #16

Western Massachusetts
I would expect that the transmission would be the first part to have a problem. What problems requiring a repair or extra maintenance did you have when towing with the Outback?
Thank-You
Mark
Old 11-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #17

Name: FredH
Trailer: Casita 16 ft
New Hampshire
Casita

My Casita Freedom Deluxe is for sale. It is in great condition, has new running gear, mostly new appliances, screen door (for New England!) and is ready to roll. I had visited the Casita factory and based on the used campers they had for sale I priced mine at $8000; about $2000 less than they were charging for comparable condition. It turns out that in spite of its great condition, its 1991 age puts people off. So I have just reduced it to $4000. It is in Durham, NH. I90 to 495, I95 to Portsmouth, briefly on rte 16 and rte 4 to Durham. 9 Old Landing Rd. Come soon, before snow! I could send photos but except for the screen door and a rear screened window it looks just like any other Casita. Fred Hochgraf
hochfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
I would expect that the transmission would be the first part to have a problem. What problems requiring a repair or extra maintenance did you have when towing with the Outback?
Thank-You
Mark
Mark, I answered your question re repairs but thought better of it as I still have to sell the Outback

Re the transmission. Subaru actually has a transmission cooler in the Outback that is much larger than one would find in other similar sized cross over type vehicles as well as some larger SUV's or at least that was the case with my own Outback according to the independent car reviews I read. It apparently does the job...... but not sure I would be as comfortable about that if I had been towing with one of transmissions that Subaru is now using.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #19

Western Massachusetts
Smile Bought a 2012 Egg!

We bought Mark & Kate's (New Hampshire) Egg trailer yesterday, so no further need to look at a Casita or Trillium. Thanks for the comments
Mark & Linda
Western Massachusetts
Old 11-29-2014, 12:36 PM   #20

Western Massachusetts
Hi Donna,
I don't know much about the older Trilliums but, I've read many of your posts, so thought I'd pass along what I new about Trillium's current status (Yesterday We bought a 2012 Egg Camper from New Hampshire) Within the last couple of weeks, I spoke to Slade Trimm, a salesman at Great West Vans/Sterling RV/Trillium/Sidekick in Winfield, Alabama several times. He said they are building new Trilliums there now. He acknowledged they had a few quality hiccups within the last couple of years but said they are aiming for their quality to be a notch better than the 2 large main competitors, Scamp and Casita. A feature that I really liked is that most of the new Trilliums come with a solar charging system. At this time there are a few Trilliums at dealers (TN & CA, etc), or, a customer might be able to buy one direct from the factory in Alabama. They have a few leftover 2014 models in Canada, some of which they are importing back to the United States and delivering to their dealers in the US. Tom Young is in charge of Trillium, but I do not know if he is a part owner or manager at this time. The response time for messages and calls was very good. All that said, I still bought the 2/3 year old Egg Camper and towed it home 110 miles yesterday, Black Friday. It's not fancy but it's in good condition, my wife likes it and it will be a good fit for both of us. I did not pass even one camper or RV going or coming back. Guess it's now winter in New England!
Thank-You,
Mark

Tags
casita, trillium