Casita or Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Casita or Scamp

Hi, I am Mary from NC. I am interested in a small fiberglass rv. I am not sure if I want a Casita or a Scamp, but it must have a bathroom and sleep three. Any comparison info would be appreciated.
Mary Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
A lot depends on your tow vehicle. To sleep 3 with bathroom you are looking at 16 Scamp or 16/17 Casita and their are a wide range of wrights and tongue weights.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A 17' Escape will also sleep 3 and has a bathroom as well. It has a 2 person bed at the rear and a two person dinette that drops down into a bed at the front.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita or Scamp

Comparing 16'ers, quality is similar, as are prices for similarly-equipped models. Scamp has a lower entry price, but Casita has more standard equipment. Scamp has more headroom, somewhat better insulation, and is a bit lighter. Scamp deluxe (wood interior) models have a larger dinette bed (54" vs 45" in Scamp standard and Casita 16). Each has one floor plan not offered by the other. Between the two it often comes down to layout and/or what becomes available on the used market. Scamp makes more 16'ers, so they tend to be easier to find.

The Casita 17 is a different animal. Larger 54" bed, more headroom, larger bathroom, but a lot heavier, especially on the tongue. It's Casita's most popular model, so lots of them out there.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
scamp vs casita...it's a lot like the ford vs chevy question. they both do the same thing reasonably well. the "features" may differ and that's what will determine your choice. i'd go look at them to help make your decision. both companies (i think) will send you names & contact info for owners that have agreed to show their trailers for prospects. i live in columbia, sc (when i'm not in my casita) and travel to ashville on a regular basis since my daughter, son in law and adorable grand daughter live there. if you've not found a casita to look at i'd be more than glad to show you my 16er either in columbia or ashville.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kelly View Post
Hi, I am Mary from NC. I am interested in a small fiberglass rv. I am not sure if I want a Casita or a Scamp, but it must have a bathroom and sleep three. Any comparison info would be appreciated.
Being a Scamp owner, I love and prefer the Casita. Nicer inside and more storage. However, we have a Scamp with the side dinette that makes into a nice bed, so it does sleep 3. We too have the shower/potty and that is absolute for us too!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Casita or Scamp

I'm curious, Doug... where is the additional storage? I assume we're comparing apples to apples: Scamp layout 6 versus Casita 16SD...
Old 10-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Casita finds great storage places that outdoes Scamp. They also provide a nice corner TV support too. I just like the interior of Casita over the dated looks of Scamp, which are very slow to update.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Personally, I feel the upholstery prints and carpet styles in a Casita date them more than the plain solid upholstery and marine headliner in a Scamp. I've seen the 30-year-old orange or blue sculpted carpet in an 80's vintage Casita…

But I am mostly glad both companies are thriving. Ford is better because of Chevrolet, and vice versa.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I have a Casita, my bff has a Scamp. My Casita does indeed have more upper storage, mine goes all the way around the top, hers is individual cabinets up top, so I can use the whole way around and fit in things like quilts. She cannot in the scamp. She also has a very short closet, mine goes ceiling to the floor. But like it has been said, it is like comparing Fords and Chevys. She does however wish she had bought a casita!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #11

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Personally, I feel the upholstery prints and carpet styles in a Casita date them more than the plain solid upholstery and marine headliner in a Scamp. I've seen the 30-year-old orange or blue sculpted carpet in an 80's vintage Casita…

But I am mostly glad both companies are thriving. Ford is better because of Chevrolet, and vice versa.
Yeah, I've wondered why so many of the trailers, of most manufacturers, have such hideous fabrics. As if Paisley were still in style, or the other gaudy prints. Solid color fabric is a big selling point for me.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leej View Post
I have a Casita, my bff has a Scamp. My Casita does indeed have more upper storage, mine goes all the way around the top, hers is individual cabinets up top...
Sounds like you have a 17' Casita. I believe the 16' Casita has smaller, separate upper cabinets much like Scamp. Since the 17' Casita is a much heavier trailer, a direct comparison is probably not fair.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
A lot depends on your tow vehicle. To sleep 3 with bathroom you are looking at 16 Scamp or 16/17 Casita and their are a wide range of wrights and tongue weights.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I agree the tow vehicle might be the deciding factor. My Subaru Outback is capable of pulling our 16' Scamp, but there is no way it could ever pull the 17' Casita because of the heavier overall and tongue weights.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
You have not said if you are shopping new or used. If used, the FGRV market is kind of you take what you can find that roughly fits your requirements or you do without because somebody else already bought it.. I happened to find an older Scamp locally in good condition and bought and am glad I did.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
...If used, the FGRV market is kind of you take what you can find that roughly fits your requirements or you do without because somebody else already bought it….
Old 10-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Kelly View Post
Mary, have you looked at Lil Snoozy built in St Matthews SC?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp