Casita towing low - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #1

Name: Sheri
Trailer: Shopping
California
Casita towing low

Just purchased a 2012 liberty deluxe casita .
Taking it home and it is towing low with our hitch? Towing with a Honda Odyssey any suggestions on a different hitch or ?
Sherilopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
What do you mean by towing low? If it is low at the hitch it is an easy matter to purchase and offset ball mount. This will raise the hitch point higher. If it is that the trailer is low, the issue is the axle, and either needs to see the trailer raised on the axle, or the actual itself replaced.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Sheril, you probably need a ball mount with a rise. You will have to level your casita and measure to determine the correct rise.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

California
It is at the hitch.. thank you so much..
Old 07-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #5

California
Gompka,
Thank you!!! For the visual too...��
Old 07-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
A picture is worth a thousand words. While you are at it, a locking pin for the hitch receiver is an excellent investment.

Try an image search on, best locking receiver hitch pin
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: Still researching
Alabama
Another thing to try out

Hello, and congrats on the new Casita. I just wanted to point out that you may not need to purchase a new receiver. First you can try removing the ball from your current one, and then just flip the thing over, and put the ball back on upside down. A receiver is meant to give raise or lower with the same piece of equipment.
Jasoninalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is it low because of the ball height or because the tongue weight is too heavy for the vehicle suspension. If it's a Casita 17 they can have a tongue weight of 450 lb or more. The 16 is lighter on the tongue,
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoninalabama View Post
Hello, and congrats on the new Casita. I just wanted to point out that you may not need to purchase a new receiver. First you can try removing the ball from your current one, and then just flip the thing over, and put the ball back on upside down. A receiver is meant to give raise or lower with the same piece of equipment.
Just to clarify, you are referring to the ball mount. The receiver is the square tube that mounts to the tow vehicle, and "receives" the ball mount. Bus yes, even a straight ball mount has a bit of offset and if turned over can make a couple inches difference.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: Still researching
Alabama
I stand corrected.

You are absolutely correct. I misspoke. I did mean the ball mount, not the receiver. Thanks for setting that straight.
Jasoninalabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile A good reference for newbies

Trailer Towing Guides | How Much Can You Pull | How to tow safely | www.trailerlife.com

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoninalabama View Post
You are absolutely correct. I misspoke. I did mean the ball mount, not the receiver. Thanks for setting that straight.
No problem. I blame my mother for wanting things to be correct.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:18 AM   #13

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Up, down, its all about getting the right ball mount to keep your trailer level.

When we pulled our Casita behind our F150 (relatively tall receiver height), we used a 2 inch drop ball mount. Then we got our Escape. First trip I noticed it was not towing level, dropping towards the front. So I stopped at Harbor Freight and got a zero drop (flat) ball mount. Actually the Harbor Freight had a ball welded permanently to it, which I like a lot.

Problem solved.

A lot of vans have a relatively low receiver hitch height. So an upward raising ball mount is to be expected. I flipped our 2 inch drop mount over, and now use it as a 2 inch rise ball mount. When we move the Escape in our yard, its super tight, so I use our Honda Element with that 2 inch rise. I probably could use a 4 inch rise mount. Since we only move the trailer 30 feet (into its narrow carport for storage), I am not worried about it. And we would never, ever tow our Escape behind the Element.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Sheril, you probably need a ball mount with a rise. You will have to level your casita and measure to determine the correct rise.
Can sway ball be attached to this?
Peer n Brandee KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:22 AM   #15

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Odyssey may be a little tight

Depending on how it's equipped your Odyssey will be right at the edge of its capability pulling a 17-footer. You should measure the difference in height of the nose of the van unloaded, and then loaded for towing. Take that measurement at the top of the front wheel wells to the ground. If the difference is greater than 1 inch then you will need a weight distributing hitch. On my Honda Pilot which uses a similar chassis, the front wheels had a very negative reaction to the 17 being loaded. A properly sized, and properly adjusted weight distributing hitch will make it a much easier pull. Keep in mind that Honda does not permit weight distributing hitches, so you could affect any warranty, though you are likely already with the tow.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #16

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookernoe View Post
though you are likely already with the tow.
The Odyssey is rated to tow, i don't see how towing even right up on the limit would affect your warranty.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #17

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Assuming there Odyssey is the same as my Pilot, the owner's manual clearly states no weight distributing hitches. When towing without a weight distributing hitch on my pilot my 17-footer promptly ruined the rear tires due to the independent rear suspension. My pilot is rated at 3, 500 lb, and our fully equipped 17 ft Liberty Deluxe ways in about 3400 without the first ounce of gear in either the trailer or tow vehicle. A typical tow was well above the rated capacity. After a 6000 mile trip I described it as "adequate, but not confidence inspiring".
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:53 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here is what the 2017 Honda Pilot owner's manual actually says about weight distribution:

■ Weight distribution hitches
Your vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you
wish to use one, please consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up.
Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability, and braking performance of
your vehicle.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #19

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookernoe View Post
Assuming there Odyssey is the same as my Pilot, the owner's manual clearly states no weight distributing hitches. When towing without a weight distributing hitch on my pilot my 17-footer promptly ruined the rear tires due to the independent rear suspension. My pilot is rated at 3, 500 lb, and our fully equipped 17 ft Liberty Deluxe ways in about 3400 without the first ounce of gear in either the trailer or tow vehicle. A typical tow was well above the rated capacity. After a 6000 mile trip I described it as "adequate, but not confidence inspiring".
I read your last post as assuming they voided warranty by towing in general, i agree that towing at the limit doesn't feel safe, but if the manual says you can do it they can't void your warranty for it. I did a lot of research into towing with my car as well, and although i'm also right my weight limit, i had evidence that the tow rating was very conservative, this was backed up by the manufacturer of my vehicle upping the tow weight by 1500lbs without any changes to the vehicle other than springs. I am now getting the upgraded springs and will be way under the limit. I would be more worried about braking than actually towing. Granted an oddessy should be made to break a significant amount of weight since its meant for 7+ passengers. Also, the tongue weight and towing capacity of most cars I have seen is rated with only the driver and 1 passenger in the car, no other cargo. So for every piece of cargo and passenger you have to lower the tongue weight and towing capacity number.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:00 PM   #20

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
I tow with a minivan (Toyota) also. When Casita installed all the equipment I was shocked how low I was to the ground. This has present many problems (and cringes) over the years of making that horrible sound when pulling out of driveways. To compound the problem is my weight distribution hitch. Do I have a solution??? Well no, just thought you might want to know you're not the only one.I

Congrats and enjoy.

Shelly
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita