Cliff from SC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 AM   #15

Name: Cliff
Trailer: Currently Shopping
South Carolina
Oh, I wondered if they were the same. Glad to know, thanks.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
...the smallest ones, 13 footers, only have about a ten foot fiberglass body. There is only so much that can fit in a narrow 10 foot body. Realize trailer size is measured end to end...
Just to clarify... Some traditional manufacturers- including Airstream and most molded fiberglass makes- designate their models by overall length, bumper to coupler. Unless it has an extended tongue, you can usually deduct about 3' to get the actual cabin size.

However, if you start comparing with conventional, stick-built travel trailers, most of their models are designated by cabin length. So, if you want to compare weight and features with non-molded alternatives, compare a 16' Scamp to a 13' Brand X.

Good point about width. Less room, but better towing. Less wind resistance, improved visibility (mirror extensions may not be needed depending on the vehicle), less likely to accidentally catch a curb or drop off the edge of the pavement,...

Old 07-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff in SC View Post
...if we need to see the Scamper camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I hate to be too technical, but this photo is of a Kodiak Scamper...
And then there are Skampers...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skamper.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	109514

They made pop-up truck campers and a few travel trailers as well. Our family owned a 1972 Skamper tent trailer back in the day...

The company was acquired by Thor is 1995 and discontinued some time after that.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:36 AM   #18

Name: Cliff
Trailer: Currently Shopping
South Carolina
You really have a lot of knowledge. Glad I can benefit from it.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #19

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Cliff, if your time is short, I'd recommend renting; it's a also a good way to try out a camper. The only question is whether there are any rental places in SC with small molded-fiberglass trailers. I'm sure if you lived in Texas they would be easy to find, but less so in the East.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #20

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Most common trailer I see for sale is a Scamp, either the 13 or the 16. Next most popular is a 17 foot Casita. Every thing else is not common at all. And its not like there are a lot of Scamps or Casitas for sale either. And a 17 foot Casita is too big/heavy for your tow vehicle.

You really have to compromise to get a larger bed. The Scamp 16 with a larger bed is limited to the Deluxe model. The 13 foot has a larger bed option, obviously it gets pretty tight in that trailer.

Now if you want a Scamp with the larger bed, again that cuts down a lot on the used market.

Note, Scamp big bed is 54 inches wide, while a true queen is 60 inches wide. Regular bed size in a Scamp is just 44 inches wide, which is barely over a twin.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #21

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Welcome to FGRV, Cliff!

Mr. Lynn--agreed! Rent one first. It will be money well spent. Not sure but you might be able to drive to the pick-up point, go on your camping trip, and drop it back off on the way home--if you don't have one close to rent...

Our Dodge Grand Caravan has a 3600 pound tow limit (360 tongue) and we have a 1973 amerigo FG16--meaning 16' long total length. We have absolutely no trouble pulling it uphill, downhill, next to 3-trailer semis (Oregon allows it!), high winds, quick stops...it's all great. We do use an anti-sway bar and were glad of it in stiff Eastern Washington side winds...

Our amerigo weighs 2150-2250, so we have a good 1300+ pounds leeway. When we redid the entire interior, we deliberately aimed at keeping the weight as low as possible. It tows like a dream--if anything, it seems to act as a sea anchor, keeping the van steadier on the road. It does affect our gas mileage--but not much. We drop between 4 and 5 miles per gallon when towing, from 26 - 21. Could be a lot worse. Our GetAwayVan was 8 mpg. !! 8(

Have you looked at Trailer Weights in the Real World here on FGRV? It's a good thread, gives a real-world look at loaded weights of various brands. Amerigo isn't on it. But we've had it weighed by a professional scale man AND those drive-thru kinds along the freeway...all about the same. 2150. (I say 2200 just to round it off).

BEST
Kai
Old 07-29-2017, 05:05 AM   #22

Name: p@
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
Registry
Cliff,

I'm just up the road in Columbia with a 16' Casita and wile it's not for sale it is available for inspection if you'd like. My trailer has been modified considerably to fit my needs and whims (sometimes I wonder if that process will ever end). So, if you guys would like to drive up and talk fiberglass trailers send me an e-mail or a private message via this forum and we'll make a plan.

p@

crawford@pcrawford.com
Old 07-29-2017, 02:46 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
"My trailer has been modified considerably to fit my needs and whims (sometimes I wonder if that process will ever end). --p@"

(good way to do your name!!!!!" p@! I seriously like it!

One of the differences between humans and birds is that birds finish their nests, at least each year.

We never really do--if we're the kind that improves them at all.
(I use the word "improves" advisedly--one person's décor is
another person's disaster. As in, YMMV.)

BEST
Kai
Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #24

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I know it may be a little heavy for your current tow, but have you considered a visit to the LilSnoozy factory in St Matthews, SC, just off I 26 south of Columbia? That's 19 ft tongue-to rear bumper, with a dedicated queen sized bed. There are many advantages to it I feel, including, after almost 30 years in Boy Scouting, all electric. (YAY!)
Some of the advantages: all electric,rear entry wide enough for mobility scooters, airconditioning, nothing on roof(less possibility of leaks), straight walls roof to floor, no need for sway bar (have hit 85 mph accidently on I75 south of FL/GA line- has toweded well on tow speeds up to 78 mph) 14 inch wheels, integrated braking, marine cassete toilet, wet bath with shower. 1500/1000 watt portable heater, 2 burner electric stove, electric refrigerator (I went for the optional 12V truckfridge)jackknife sofa (folds down intosingle bed) 4 gallon water heater.

Some of the disadvantages (not to me personally)everything I have listed as an advantage is not acceptable to somebody or another on this forum.

I had never rved before but lurked on RV sites for about 12 years prior to registering here and ordering my LS.. Dry weight is 2300-2400 lbs (mine weighed in at 2460 after a camping trip. I had cleared the camping gear but forgot todrain the freshwater tank. We ordered, knowing we would have to purchase a new-to-us tow vehicle. We bought a 2012 Durango Citadel with a tow limit of 7500 lbs, allowing us more freedom as far as future RVs go.

We had to replace a LilSnoozy brake twice on the same side on our monthlong June dash from S FL to Newfoundland and back. Otherwise, no problem with towing. (Mountains-Appalachians, Poconos, Newfoundland) However, the transmission went out two weeks ago and we'll have it in for repairs next week. My theory is the idiot who backed into our rear bumper in March had something to do with the brake problems. Thank you for the steel bumpers LS!

I had also looked at Parkliner (North Carolina)but with DH insisting he will go camping with me now, and with 3 (now 4) cats to add in, Parkliner was too small.

Plus I really needed that dedicated bed- no breaking the dinette up and down for me! If anyone is interested, the storage under the queen bed carries a lot of gear plus our industrial-sized litter box, and the cats "nest" under there in cool weather, when we leave them in for transit.

I think touring the factory may help jumpstart your thinking about the options you would like, and which ones are "dealbreakers". Also, I think the idea of attending a rally is great. (Personally, once I had looked at Parkliner, I was pretty sure I wanted all electric. Plus we took the Honda2000 generator option on LS and have used it a couple times while boodocking at the Avon Park Airbase and at a Boondockers.com NC site)