Old 10-29-2016, 12:44 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Pamela, I Love your scuba diving partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpup View Post
Hi,

I'm a newbie who has been lurking around the website & forums for a while.

I get that these cool little trailers are economical, light and easy to handle AND last an incredibly long time due to their construction and materials. I also know that generally with the exception of the Bigfoot All Season trailers and RV's most of the other manufacturers trailers are designed for three season use unless custom ordered with extra insulation and heating pads for the fresh water, grey & black water tanks.

I'd love to purchase a used, small, inexpensive fiberglass trailer like the 13' Casita but am concerned that aside from us freezing in the New England winters, that the tanks and pipes of the trailer would freeze too.

Is there a way to retrofit efficiently and effectively thus "winterproofing/weatherproofing" a fiberglass trailer for someone who doesn't have ANY experience with trailers but has lots of technical and practical experience with a lot of other things?

Thanx,
punkpup
: or maybe he is all decked out for Halloween?
Stude

Old 10-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #16

Name: Pamela
Trailer: Researching
Massachusetts
Stude,

Isn't he a hoot. You're correct, he's not my dog but a dog who won a Halloween contest in the Philippines some years ago. I have thought about decking out my 3 Jack Russell Terriers like that and doing a family foto with us in our dive gear for a Christmas card.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #17

Massachusetts
Hi WaltP,
So I'm curious what is it about the Escape that makes you give it such praise? Being obsessive/compulsive I have scoured the Bigfoot, Oliver & Escape websites and tried to read as many reviews as possible. The Oliver is extremely attractive because of its aluminum frame and double insulated & heated fiberglass shell but it's also ridiculously expensive. The Bigfoot is the only other trailer which comes with the 4 season package standard as opposed to an option as in the Escape. I have found another trailer, the Travel Lite Idea i15Q which does offer a Polar package as an option which can be purchased for under $20K BUT it is NOT a fiberglass egg and thus does not have the longevity. I might consider that as a short term option because ultimately we might consider a class A if we want to become full time nomads.
Pamela
Old 10-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #18

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Yes, we actually do have a small efficient tent heater for which I was shamelessly laughed at until we used it when temps dropped into the 30's while camping over Columbus weekend then I was viewed as the hero who saved the camping trip!
Hello Pamela! (I'm another "Pamela", "Ellpea" stands for the hubby's nickname of "LP" for "Lady Pamela" -- that's another story)

I just wanted to say, "Hooray!" for you, using a a tent heater while everyone laughed. In a similar vein, everyone laughed at me for having a portable mister for use on the back of a motorcycle in hot weather. Even he of the "LP" nickname laughed, until coming home over highway 36, and I first misted him down the back of his motorcycle jacket. By the time we hit home, we had misted every possible clothing "inlet," (sleeves, pantlegs, neckline, waistline) and were still barely surviving.

NOBODY WAS LAUGHING by the time we got home.

So, more power to you from another Pamela!
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Pamela.
I just re-read my post about the Escape and I don't see where the "such praise" comment comes from. I just intended to point out that it's another option and with the 4 season upgrades it's still less pricey that either the Bigfoot or Oliver. All three are great trailers, with somewhat different characteristics.
That said, I do rather like the Escape.

Walt
Old 10-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #20

Massachusetts
WaltP,
OK, I get it. I have to admit I like the Escape story. Since they are a small family concern, essentially each trailer is custom built. I also get that there is a certain amount of personal preference involved in choosing a trailer as what works well for one person may not work well for another.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #21

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
And ALL, all molded towables are good. It depends on the owners needs, wants, budget and tow vehicle. Once you get that all figured out, buy what suits you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #22

Massachusetts
Ellpea in CA,
BTW, Misting while motorcycling; a pure stroke of genius!!!! I remember riding in the desert how brutal that heat is! I had to stop frequently to recharge the water soaked bandana I used to cover my nose and mouth in an attempt at protecting myself from a scorched airway.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #23

Massachusetts
Jack L,

I forgot to mention that I've been looking at smaller (13' - 20' max) trailers and my tow vehicle is a midsize SUV.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow ratings on "mid-sized SUVs" are all over the map, from as little as 1500 pounds up to around 5000 pounds depending on model, year, drivetrain, and options. What is yours rated to tow?

I'm also still a little confused about what kind of cold weather camping you plan to do... Are we talking about camping in the snow in January for winter recreation? Or are we just talking about extending your camping season into the spring and fall? Are we talking about campgrounds with hookups and heated bathrooms or boondocking? Lots of developed campgrounds in snow belt areas close for the winter, or shut off plumbing.

Escape offers cold-weather upgrades (spray-on foam on the underbelly and dual pane windows) adequate for shoulder season (spring and fall) use, but it's not a true 4-season trailer. It lacks ducted heat and enclosed heated holding tanks, two things that are normally needed to keep plumbing systems operational in extended below-freezing conditions. The wall and ceiling insulation is pretty thin, too, compared to Bigfoot or Oliver. Pretty much any true 4-season trailer is going to require a truck or full-sized SUV to pull. The smallest 17.5' Bigfoot might be possible with a 5000 pound tow rating and weight distribution hitch.

On the other hand, with a porta-potty, jugs of water, a furnace and/or good winter sleeping bags, almost anything can become a hard-sided tent for a few days of snow play.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Hi Pamela.
I just re-read my post about the Escape and I don't see where the "such praise" comment comes from. I just intended to point out that it's another option and with the 4 season upgrades it's still less pricey that either the Bigfoot or Oliver.
Walt
While Escape does offer some options to improve the trailer for warmth in cold weather they do not claim it even with the options added to be a 4 season trailer.

They have suggested it to be better suited to 3 season.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Hi WaltP,
So I'm curious what is it about the Escape that makes you give it such praise? Being obsessive/compulsive I have scoured the Bigfoot, Oliver & Escape websites and tried to read as many reviews as possible. The Oliver is extremely attractive because of its aluminum frame and double insulated & heated fiberglass shell but it's also ridiculously expensive. The Bigfoot is the only other trailer which comes with the 4 season package standard as opposed to an option as in the Escape. I have found another trailer, the Travel Lite Idea i15Q which does offer a Polar package as an option which can be purchased for under $20K BUT it is NOT a fiberglass egg and thus does not have the longevity. I might consider that as a short term option because ultimately we might consider a class A if we want to become full time nomads.
Pamela
Trailers are just like cars.

Some people have the funds to purchase a car that is considered to be the top of the class in luxury while some only have the funds to purchase the consumers reports best value pick of economical family sedans.

Just like cars the price of a trailer can quickly climb depending on which options you choose. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #27

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Just like cars the price of a trailer can quickly climb depending on which options you choose. ;-)

Boy, that's for sure.

Walt
Old 10-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #28

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Ellpea in CA,
BTW, Misting while motorcycling; a pure stroke of genius!!!! I remember riding in the desert how brutal that heat is! I had to stop frequently to recharge the water soaked bandana I used to cover my nose and mouth in an attempt at protecting myself from a scorched airway.
Pamela: Clearly genius motorcycle-riding Pamelas think alike!

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote