Compact Jr. - Overwhelmed!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
Name: Mari
Trailer: Hunter compact jr
getaway & Fred, that's exactly what we're doing. The list keeps changing a bit but we know the fiberglass has to be #1 then the subfloor. We think those are really the only things the rain will hinder.

We won't give up and appreciate all the great advice in this forum. I have two "pros" giving me bids and a friend that has offered to help my husband work on it Saturday!

We know it will be awesome when it's done!

Mcmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Name: Wade
Here is a before and after of my Hunter CJ. Don't be worried about gutting it, you will be happy you did in the long run. For the time spent, you get lots of rewards! Nice and clean with a solid foundation to build on. Also gets rid of that funky smell!
Attached Thumbnails
2015-12-13_13.44.28[1].jpg   2016-01-02_16.51.20[1].jpg  

Wade the K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Name: Mari
Updates on the Renovation/Repairs

It's been about a month since we got "JR" and completely gutted her. Unfortunately, one of the casualties was while removing one of the 3 gel batteries it got dropped and broke so we now have to replace a $400 battery!

My friend took it upon himself to start the repairs on the wheel well. He basically used liquid nails in the gap, then put tons of screws in to pull the side of the trailer to the wheel well. Then once it cured up he removed the screws which of course left tiny holes but since we have fiberglass to repair he didn't feel that was a big deal.

We found that the subfloor needed to be replaced due to rotting near the entry door, so it was removed yesterday.

Today he and my hubby began fiberglassing the major holes that were left by removing the electric receptacle that was in the way of repairing the wheel well. It has a long way to go! They seem to be getting a lot done in between the rain.

Things on the short list:

- Finish fiberglass repairs inside/outside.

- We are using "project boomerang"s modification of installing a metal angle on each side of the pop-up lip to replace the support that the removed walls inside left. Since we are not in need of a "kitchen" and prefer an open floor plan this should work well with the new layout.

-We know that the floor rot is due to a door leak so now to the big task of figuring out how to replace the door since reading posts here note that it isn't an easy find. Once we figure out what to do about the door we'll reinstall the subfloor.

- One of our "Lift" sliders is missing bearings so based on others' posts here we need to find a replacement drawer slide.

- I need to decide about insulating the inside since I ripped out the nasty carpet that was glued to the walls.
I liked the idea of ensolite but since it only seems to be sold in black I'm not sure that's a good option. I saw a post about someone using Reflectix with a white side showing? I saw K. Corbin's insulation as well but not sure I want that much in there for our intended use of the trailer.
I appreciate any input or advice from anyone that's experienced. Still overwhelmed but glad I have a friend that likes to fix things and is pretty good at it!
Mcmari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Hiding the Reflectix....

Hi Mari

Reflectix is silver on both sides. If you cover the walls with it you get the feeling you are in a space capsule.

I attached mine with small squares of adhesive-backed heavy duty Velcro because I didn't want to glue something permanently on the walls.

Then I hid it with curtains and wood panels. The wood panels are just hung from the wooden window frames with small brass hinges.

I can't speak scientifically about its insulation properties but in warm weather the bare wall portion feels hot and not at all hot on the Relectictix part.

Same with damp cold weather, the Reflectix part feels much warmer.

Let's see more pictures of your Jr!
Attached Thumbnails

john madill is offline   Reply With Quote