considering a fiberglass trailer for first RV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Name: Deborah
Trailer: ITM
MN
considering a fiberglass trailer for first RV

Considering getting an RV for retirement - leaning toward a fiberglass Escape 17B and would like to learn more and try to find a good used one for a first go at it
debgailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #2

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Great idea. Another one is to carefully identify your specific application and then select and configure for it. Consider a new RV a blank slate that needs filling in to be of any use.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Excellent choice, one many aspire to owning. There is a long wait for factory new, so good used ones go very fast. Maybe within hours.

Escape will put you in touch with an owner. But owners are incented only if you buy a new one. So maybe pay them a little for their trouble. Consider visiting a rally. On a large pc screen, they are listed in the right hand margin. Yes, we're at the end of the season for rallies. However, many units come up for sale in the fall.

There is a separate Escape Owners Group that would be good to monitor.

Some of us weigh more than our drivers licences say. Road Ready Trailers are no exception. There is a file here with many Real World examples. I'm in the camp that advocates tow vehicles have a "reasonable" safety margin of capacity. It apears you have studied these trailers. I recommend some time spent on matching tow vehicle with trailer.

Welcome!
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Used ones tend to go for close to what a new one sells for., particularly if they are just a few years old. The main advantage of used is you can camp NOW, rather than wait several months. The other advantage of used is you can avoid the long trip to BC, or significant shipping charges (if you find one nearby). You also tend to get options (that aren't cheap) thrown in with the deal. Of course, if the options are not ones you care for, that isn't always so important.

Shipping from Escape's factory to my home in NC would be $5000 to $6000 last time I checked.

I have an Escape 19. Main advantage to me with the 19 is a queen sized bed AND a large dinette. Depending on the length of your travels (time and miles), you might find the larger bed and larger dinette really important.

Ignore Escape dry weights and tongue weights. They are unrealistically LOW. Weights in the real world will get you closer.

Escape's factory list pricing looks very attractive once you discount for Canadian dollars. But then a view of options you probably will want, the pricing starts to change. I think ours has close to $6,000 (Canadian) in options!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Fiberglass equates to durability. Configuration is a matter of personal preference. You get what you pay for.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Ignore Escape dry weights and tongue weights. They are unrealistically LOW. Weights in the real world will get you closer.

They are NOT unrealistically low. They are accurate. The dry weight is what the trailer weighs without options and fluids. The dry weight is not what a loaded trailer will weigh, and the only way to get that weight is to weigh YOUR loaded trailer.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
So true Glenn and quite often not realized.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
If you're interested in trying used before committing to a new Escape (which are wonderful rigs), we have a 17-foot 1999 Burro for sale ($10,000 US). It's in great shape, no work for you to do. You could find out whether you like the size that way before shelling out more money.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are a lot of Escape owners that hang out here on FiberglassRV. But, you may have better luck over on the EscapeForum which is dedicated to Escape trailers. For instance, if you're looking to buy a used Escape. More are posted there than here: Escape Trailer Owners Community
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
They are NOT unrealistically low. They are accurate. The dry weight is what the trailer weighs without options and fluids. The dry weight is not what a loaded trailer will weigh, and the only way to get that weight is to weigh YOUR loaded trailer.
OK, I probably overstated it. But in the real world, almost all trailers will be heavier. Dry weight does not include any options, doesn't include any liquids, and often don't include batteries. Options are the norm on Escapes, everything from awning, AC, front storage box, and so on. So just don't use the relatively low dry weights to make tow vehicle decisions.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can use it to compare the dry weight of one trailer to another. You just shouldn't complain that your onion doesn't taste like an apple.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Actually, the best way to research the true towing weight of fiberglass trailers is to check either the "Trailer Weights in the Real World" thread here at Fiberglass RV, or the spreadsheet version (which can be filtered & sorted for specific brands & models).

While these are only examples, they are better for determining if the combination of your choice of trailer & tow vehicle make sense.

As to an Escape 17B, I towed one for almost 100,000 miles over 6 years before moving to an Escape 21. Loved the trailer!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
personally, I look at the GWR of the trailer when planning for towing... only if the GWR is way above the dry weight and I *know* I won't ever be carrying that much would I consider using a smaller number.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #14

Name: MaryK
Trailer: Escape 17B
North Dakota
We bought our Escape 17B this spring and love it!
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote