Considering Fiberglass and Looking for Input - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #15
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
One thought in the Scamp vs Casita wars. The Casita has glass all the way around. No wood floors to rot.
As has been mentioned, Casita does have a wood floor. And as been mentioned if it needs to be replaced it's a huge PITA compared to the trailers without the fiberglass tub bottom. So... watch for leaks from above. Maintenance!

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
I would like to thank everyone for their input. I have reached out to several of the Fiberglass RV companies to receive their brochures and specifications. I also have met an owner of a Scamp 16' and I'm going to reach out to them to see if I could hook it up to my jeep for a "Test" pull which will also add clarification to my final decision. I do enjoy the enthusiasm of this group and look forward to becoming a true member once I've made a purchase.

RRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #17
Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Consider your transmission

I would do more than see if your jeep CAN pull it... check the VIN as I mentioned, have your mechanic check out the radiator and transmission for a cooler. Otherwise, going up hills, mountains... etc you could find yourself with a broken car. I've learned this year there is bit more to towing than just hoking up and pulling it.

Good luck.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #18
Dear Teal,

I appreciate your additional input. I do have a towing package on the jeep which includes the transmission cooler. It is rated at 3500 pds with a tongue weight not to exceed 350pds. Also, I have been towing trailers for many years including large animal trailers when I worked on a farm as a teenager. The purpose of my original question was to see if any owners had an experience of towing their rv with a jeep similar to mine.

thx again,

Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #19
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
The Wrangler Unlimited has a fairly high center of gravity, but a good 116" wheelbase. It won't handle as nimbly in a highway speed avoidance maneuver as some other vehicles, so it might be wise to keep speed below 60 mph when towing. Otherwise, I think the 16' Scamp and Casita are good choices for that tug. The 17' Casita will definitely run you into trouble with too much hitch weight; I always recommend that owners of the 17 have at least a 500 lb hitch weight rating on their tow vehicle.

A Lil Snoozy, Parkliner, Trillium, Boler, Weiscraft, Escape 17, or Happier Camper would also work. It's really a matter of your personal preference, what you can afford, and (in the preowned market) what you find available for sale.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
Thanks Mike. I appreciate your input. I am aware of the way that the jeep hauls a trailer. I just got back from a 3000 mile journey hauling a 2000lb popup and all went well. My max speed was about 64mph due to both safety and gas milage. I also use it to haul my 17' boat which I've taken on a 1500 mile journey. It also weighs in at around 2000 lbs.

I also think my jeep will be capable in handling the 16' Scamp and I'd haul it empty of water. I was just looking to see if anyone is running with this setup at the present time.

Thanks so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated.