Dan in NoVa/MD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Dan in NoVa/MD

Hi folks.

I live in Northern Virginia. I have been lurking here the last few weeks and just signed up the other day. Been looking up YouTube videos on fiberglass campers and find them really cute.

About me, I've been a ham radio operator since middle of high school ('95) and just retired from the military after 20yrs. I am also a sailboat owner, in the middle of fixing my 27' saiboat for the past 4yrs or so, so not afraid of fiberglass (or other) type work. Hopefully I could contribute to this community in some way. I've been talking to my wife about these campers and she seems to have an interest in it. I've done camping before with Boy Scouts or Military which was usually no more than a tent so these fiberglass campers would be a nice step up.

While I seem to have my wife on board with getting a camper, I'd like to at least visit one to get a real sense of size for us. Online videos are nice, but seeing them in person would be helpful. I've been looking at the Boler, Casita, and Scamp trailers but wife seems to be interested in newer ones. With the time I've taking on the boat, she says "no more projects" and will try to abide by that.

I wanted to see if anyone in Northern Virginia or Maryland area might have a trailer they would be willing to show us. The next couple weeks, we'll be visiting her brother and his family in Vancouver, B.C. if anyone there has one they could show us.

Just looking for now. Not sure when we'll actually buy just yet. Seems the ones listed for sale doesn't last long and the listings seem to be everywhere I'm not.
Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #2

Northern VA
one more thing, I recently emailed Scamp and received a price list, in case we were to get a new trailer. I also asked about the wait time and was told they're booked up through the first week of April 2019.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Welcome to the forum. Build times vary for new ones, but you might also find newer used ones that do not require a "project".

I bought my 1970 Campster as a mobile ham shack. I try to operate when we travel if I can find time and have used it for a net control station for local events. Fortunately, it was ready to camp, although I have done a few improvements. Our first trailer was a new 2009 Casita which took about 6 months for the build.

Good luck on you search.

Dave, W7DAF
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Vancouver is pretty big. The Lower Mainland is even bigger. If you will be near Chilliwack the Escape trailer factory and show room will provide a lot of information and exposure. They sell 17', 19' 21' and a tandem axle fifth wheel.
Go here:

http://escapetrailer.com/
Old 07-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Scamp & most factory direct sellers will be happy to put you in touch with a local owner willing to show you their trailer. You shouldn't have to drive an hour.

Also, check into rallies. On a large screen they are listed in the right hand margin. I didn't notice any in your neighborhood, but they exist. Many are willing to show you their trailer at a rally.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #6

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
Welcome to the forum. Build times vary for new ones, but you might also find newer used ones that do not require a "project".

I bought my 1970 Campster as a mobile ham shack. I try to operate when we travel if I can find time and have used it for a net control station for local events. Fortunately, it was ready to camp, although I have done a few improvements. Our first trailer was a new 2009 Casita which took about 6 months for the build.

Good luck on you search.

Dave, W7DAF
I've looked into other campers a long time ago and then Tiny Houses since 2007 and had the idea of making a mobile ham shack. I live in a restricted area (HOA) so only way I can get on the air is by mounting some stuff in my truck. But even then, Not as active as I used to be, or would like to be again.

Good you were able to make it work out
de W4ABN
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #7

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Vancouver is pretty big. The Lower Mainland is even bigger. If you will be near Chilliwack the Escape trailer factory and show room will provide a lot of information and exposure. They sell 17', 19' 21' and a tandem axle fifth wheel.
Go here:

Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
Wife says her brothers lives down town by the water, whatever that means. Looked up Chilliwack and doesn't seem too far away. Might see about making a trip, if we're not too busy visiting her family. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #8

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Scamp & most factory direct sellers will be happy to put you in touch with a local owner willing to show you their trailer. You shouldn't have to drive an hour.

Also, check into rallies. On a large screen they are listed in the right hand margin. I didn't notice any in your neighborhood, but they exist. Many are willing to show you their trailer at a rally.
Thanks for the info Tom. I've seen the map for the get-togethers. You're right, nothing close. Might see if I can get to one to get a feel for them.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Dan. A rally is the best place to see many different makes & models & ask questions of owners. I was around boats and sailed many years ago. When looking into buying one I looked at many layouts and specs, just like you're doing with TTs. After going to different boat shows & seeing them first hand....well, they all look good on paper.
Scamp & others have owners on a list that are willing to show you their TTs, just contact Scamp. Think Casita does the same. As far as the build time for Scamp, I understand they have a number of them on the lot that buyers backed out of completing the sale. Good luck in your search .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Welcome Dan.
As a long long time Ham (KE4MD) I have not used my Scamp as a ham shack, but more from lack of time recently.
We are getting ready to take a long trip and I decided that I am not taking the rig with me (Icom IC7000 with tuner and 43' Vertical) since I plan to tour look and experience the trip and not spend time in the trailer operating the set.
However I plan to install the necessary equipment since we live in Navarre, FL and hurricanes are a threat and the Scamp is our bug-out box.
If I had finished this setup I would take the rig with me since there would be much less to do to get ready.
I plan to use a fiberglass telescoping long fishing rod with the tuner along with a few rolled up ground plane wires to spread out on the ground.
That and a roll of wire for a longwire setup.
I have seen a nice telescoping setup made by _____ that has a mount you drive the tire of your trailer over or mount on the hitch.
Instead of Hamming I am using the 17' telescoping fishing pole for fishing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 AM   #11

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I suggest that you make certain that you are happy with the head clearance and the beds. Seems obvious, but they appear to be the two most posted non-mechanical problems. Even when beds are big enough they can be difficult to get in and out of. If you can, purchace one that fits your needs you'll have many years of use.
God luck.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #12

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
I suggest that you make certain that you are happy with the head clearance and the beds. Seems obvious, but they appear to be the two most posted non-mechanical problems. Even when beds are big enough they can be difficult to get in and out of. If you can, purchace one that fits your needs you'll have many years of use.
God luck.
See the same thing on sailboat forums. I'm 6'5" and my sailboat has 6' of headroom. Doesn't bother me any. I don't expect standing room for myself anyway. The space to sleep is plenty long though. My wife comes to my shoulder so there shouldn't be a problem for her.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #13

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
Lil Snoozy in Maryland

Dan,
I'm in Sandy Spring MD and several months ago purchased a 2012. This one is about as perfect as you can get without being new. There have been some storage shelf modifications to the interior but I think they make the camper better and should be an option from the factory. If you wish to see an older model feel free to contact me. I'm in the middle of adding a Truckfridge now but even if I'm not done you can get a feel for the space. Let me know, Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #14

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbensen View Post
Dan,
I'm in Sandy Spring MD and several months ago purchased a 2012. This one is about as perfect as you can get without being new. There have been some storage shelf modifications to the interior but I think they make the camper better and should be an option from the factory. If you wish to see an older model feel free to contact me. I'm in the middle of adding a Truckfridge now but even if I'm not done you can get a feel for the space. Let me know, Doug
Thanks for the offer Doug. I'll pass it with the wife. Right now she's busy getting ready for our trip to B.C. to visit her brother and his family over the next couple weeks. When we return will be more likely.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Dan, my two cents, If possible don't pass up the chance to visit the Escape factory in Chilliwack, BC. Same applies if you are in Backus, MN [Scamp] or Rice, TX [Casita] or any others. I'd also call ahead, so they can spend adequate time with you. Well worth it. Enjoy.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-NS27 View Post
Hi folks.

I live in Northern Virginia. I have been lurking here the last few weeks and just signed up the other day. Been looking up YouTube videos on fiberglass campers and find them really cute.

About me, I've been a ham radio operator since middle of high school ('95) and just retired from the military after 20yrs. I am also a sailboat owner, in the middle of fixing my 27' saiboat for the past 4yrs or so, so not afraid of fiberglass (or other) type work. Hopefully I could contribute to this community in some way. I've been talking to my wife about these campers and she seems to have an interest in it. I've done camping before with Boy Scouts or Military which was usually no more than a tent so these fiberglass campers would be a nice step up.

While I seem to have my wife on board with getting a camper, I'd like to at least visit one to get a real sense of size for us. Online videos are nice, but seeing them in person would be helpful. I've been looking at the Boler, Casita, and Scamp trailers but wife seems to be interested in newer ones. With the time I've taking on the boat, she says "no more projects" and will try to abide by that.

I wanted to see if anyone in Northern Virginia or Maryland area might have a trailer they would be willing to show us. The next couple weeks, we'll be visiting her brother and his family in Vancouver, B.C. if anyone there has one they could show us.

Just looking for now. Not sure when we'll actually buy just yet. Seems the ones listed for sale doesn't last long and the listings seem to be everywhere I'm not.
I can understand the no more projects feeling. Remodeling a trailer does take a lot of time and money too and that can impact resources for other family activities. As to seeing more fiberglass trailers sometimes the big RV dealers will take nearly new fiberglass trailers in as a trade when someone is purchasing a larger RV. That is an easy place to go and see one.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #17

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
I suggest that you make certain that you are happy with the head clearance and the beds. Seems obvious, but they appear to be the two most posted non-mechanical problems. Even when beds are big enough they can be difficult to get in and out of.
This is very good advice. Good friends bought a new Scamp last year and used it once. Sold it because the bed was too small for him.

I live in the North Potomac/Gaithersburg area and have a Lil Snoozy. Y'all are welcome to come look at it. I think it is useful to see as much variety as you can before narrowing down your choice (if any.) PM me to set up a visit.

Welcome to the forum!

Doug
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Howdy guys. We moved from Tunlaw Gardens in NW DC to S Arlington in 1955 and Springfield Va in 1964. They were still constructing the I95/495 interchanges then.
I retired due to health issues. Started my post-employment world by googling "Scamp Fiberglass Campers/" and it hit on this website. I had been a lurker on many sites, including the Rvtravel.com board, for about 12 years but I didn't like what I was hearing about buyer beware/caveat emptor/lemons in the RV registries. So while I am studying this website like I have to write a thesis / I noticed LilSnoozy in S Carolina, about an hour from where dear grandson is in college. Read up on it. Toured the factory. Gave my down payment late March. Picked it up 12/01/2016. I have number 191 off the production line.

To me the all electric is quite a bonus. I've been with the Boy Scouts since 1989 and I have seen just about any way cooking fires/stoves can be screwed up. Overfill of Coleman fuel leading to small explosion needing smother with one dad's sleeping bag. Young men forgot that butane must be kept warm in your pack. Propane explosion blowing joints apart nd swiftly emptying. Huge bonfires that you could barely approach to cook meals. SO I love the all electric with the mini wok, 1 liter pressure cooker by Hawkins, and baking sheets sized for toaster ovens. I've also discovered that when we travel DH would far rather a "second breakfast" and a late lunch at some restaurant where the locals eat.
Both DH and I have chronic pain issues and the Szoozy mattress is the most comfortable one. Been thinking about buying a Snoozy matrress for the house

If you were going to be in S FL I'de offer to let you eyeball our pretty baby. The Snoozy factory has my name to give out if someone is closer to me and doesn't want
to drive to St Mathews.
So enjoy the search, may you find the perfect trailer
Old 07-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #19

Northern VA
Got to Vancouver just fine today and happened to see a boler being towed around. Didn't get a good look as I was busy getting my wife's attention to show her what I was talking about wanting to get. A bit of excitement in seeing one drive by.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:52 PM   #20

Northern VA
Just got back the Virginia. Yesterday while driving around Stanley Park in Vancouver, went past the Vancouver aquarium and was excited to see a 13' Scamp. Owners were not around but we stopped to take a look. Wife seemed to like it but says I should be looking at something bigger since I'm 6'5". I still think the 13' is cute.

Snapped a few pictures for reference but the attached one really compares me with it's size.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180730_131433.jpg